SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 18, 2015, 09:03 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Tapping into today's teen market...

Hi,

I think I was the least fashionable guy in school back when I was a kid.

But back then, even I would wear blue jeans all the time...! Hey, I had to fit in, right?

I think everyone my age wore denim blue jeans back in those days. That's why the results of this latest survey of what teens are buying are...

...Shocking!

In this most recent teen buying survey - "active wear," which means sports clothing, outsold denim!

Clearly, I just don't understand what these teens are thinking any more!

So, what did they spend most of their money on?

It turns out that they spend most of their money on food...

And coming in at a close second was money spent on clothing.

I don't think many here are tapping into the "teen market," but it can be a lucrative market to tap into...!

Anyway, here are the survey results!

How teens are spending money, what they like, and where they shop
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...g-money-2015-4

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 18, 2015, 02:11 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default And, you have to be ready to engage them.

My youngest is gone -- moved clean across the country and going to college in Vancouver, working and her boyfriend takes up any free time left. However, while she was here, I learned something about teenagers. Your post hit the nail on the head. They love eating out, they love clothes, and if you've got a girl, they love make-up. And then of course there is iTunes and YouTube.

The kids are very social, and they are more apt to buy from vendors who engage them online. I see a lot of businesses that don't do social. They spend a few hundred thousands on a storefront and $500 on a website that does nothing for them.

I wrote an article about this today, although it isn't about teens. If you're interested, you can read it here: http://stevemaclellan.com/plug-in-your-business/

A quote from the article says:

"Years ago I built a website that sold advertising to local used car dealers. We’d drive around and visit with them on a regular basis and even stop in on the ones who said they weren’t interested in advertising with us. To some, that may seem like a waste of time, but it wasn’t. People like to do business with people they know and like, and building relationships is the way to do it. After a while, some of these other dealers decided maybe they would advertise with us. Today building relationships can be done through social media. Many companies are completely ignoring this method at their own peril."

So from my experience with teens, if you want to market to them, you need to have a good website that connects them with your Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube (many teens have YouTube accounts and subscribe to channels and share the videos with their friends) Pinterest, and Instagram -- without forgetting the old standby -- email marketing.

And websites need to be responsive. There is a good chance that teens will be viewing your website on tablets or smart phones and placing orders while "on the go".

Things have changed and teenagers don't use the yellow pages. For that matter of fact, few people under fifty, use the yellow pages any more.

Regards,
Steve
Old April 18, 2015, 08:35 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Steve, your advice is "right on" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
So from my experience with teens, if you want to market to them, you need to have a good website that connects them with your Facebook page, Twitter, YouTube (many teens have YouTube accounts and subscribe to channels and share the videos with their friends) Pinterest, and Instagram -- without forgetting the old standby -- email marketing.

And websites need to be responsive. There is a good chance that teens will be viewing your website on tablets or smart phones and placing orders while "on the go".

Things have changed and teenagers don't use the yellow pages. For that matter of fact, few people under fifty, use the yellow pages any more.

Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

I read your article... I think your advice is "right on!"

What's been lacking in what I've been doing? Just what you've been talking about... I stand here, guilty...!

I admit, I've been lacking in my own social marketing... However, I've recently ramped up our use of Twitter, and Facebook is coming soon, too...

I've wanted to do something with YouTube for a long time, but haven't done so (except for a few "experiments")... However, YouTube is part of the longer term plan too...

I haven't forgotten your recommendation of using AddToAny http://www.addtoany.com either, which is on my list of things to add to the code here!

You're right, too... The younger crowd are certainly avid users of Social Media, aren't they? Most of them seem to virtually "live" in social media...!

Thanks Steve... I highly recommend Steve's article, "Plug In Your Business," and there's lots of other great no-nonsense advice in Steve's blog, too...

http://stevemaclellan.com/blog/

Best wishes,

Dien