SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 27, 2000, 03:05 PM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Preview of THEN AND NOW... a bridge to the future.

Gordon wrote -

> During our conversation, and yes, I actually
> let Rick talk...we got into a creative
> "flow"...a synergy of ideas.

Did we ever! The "flow" Gordon's talking about was pretty incredible. It actually started the day before we had the meeting. We spoke on the phone for several hours which got our creative juices flowing and was the lead in for our meeting the next day. I wish each of you could have been there to share in this excellent experience.

> The result of that will be an Audio Program
> Rick and I will be recording in December
> called,

> THEN AND NOW...The Net Guerrilla vs The
> Student of the Masters We hope to have it
> available before the end of January, it will
> not only be a look back, but it will talk
> about the future too, and I'll be discussing
> CONTENT, along with other things.

Like Gordon, I'm really looking forward to this project. One of the things we *absolutely did not* want to do was rehash the same old Internet marketing hype that continues to swirl around all of us. And we won't rehash it either. We've got some pretty interesting and very original information planned for it.

> Rick also is developing his 'EXECUTIVE
> RESUME' package, I'm not sure what all that
> is going to be, but if you would like to
> have the step by step plan that the Net
> Guerrilla used to DOUBLE his salary in less
> than 90 days, you might want to get on his
> list.

I guess I *have* been rather busy lately.(g) This product is very much alive. In fact, the rough draft is out for review to a couple of folks right now, the web site is being designed, and some companion software is in the planning stages. More on this as the details unfold.

> In the old days the Net Guerrilla was
> rolling over his competition with a tank,
> now, I think he is using a laser guided
> missile...

> such has been the advances in technology.

Precisely. One of the principles I used to teach was that you could flatten your competition. Well, that's changing. With the new technologies Gordon's talking about, (and that we'll discuss in our audio chats), you can now take out your competition with one shot. How? Simple really. You create original CONTENT and use the latest technologies to get it into the hands of your target market. And you have just swiftly and neatly eliminated your competition because now you *HAVE* no competition.

> Last week, when I heard about Jerry
> Buchannan's death, I took a long walk on the
> beach, and reflected on how I've had such
> good fortune to have had the opportunity to
> be exposed to the work of the MASTERS like
> Jerry.

I didn't know about this. The marketing world has lost a true master. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with his family.

> Many of my youthful MENTORS and MASTERS have
> retired, slowed down, or passed away.

I agree. We have lost many of the masters of our day. Yet we can keep their spirit alive by applying what they taught to the new technologies. For instance, Marty Foley is producing an Internet-age version of something that is as old Claude Hopkins. And I'm sure there's plenty more to come from the "new" masters.

> Some are still active and will be until the
> day they die. Good on them.

May they be with us as long as possible. And may we have the wisdom to learn all we can from them and then apply it an a way that will truly benefit our markets.

> There is also TIME. You can waste it if you
> want, that is your right to do so. But if
> this is the year you are going to get
> serious about taking control of your life
> and becoming the master of your own destiny,
> then you should know that opportunity is
> NOW.

This truly *is* the key to the whole thing. Let me share a personal experience. A while back, I posted some questions about juggling a salaried position and outside projects. I got various responses that ranged from telling me how to better manage my time to "just suck it up and spend 20 hours a day to get it done." Well, I believed then and I believe now that one can have financial success as well as balance in the other important areas of life. With Julie Jordan Scott's help, (what do you mean you haven't yet visited her site at www.5passions.com?), we made just a slight adjustment to my schedule. Instead of doing custom software work while my son attends an early church class, (5:30 am - 6:20 am), I now work on my other projects. In a little over a week with these 45 minute sessions, I had created the paper draft for the e-booklet Gordon mentioned above. A little time spent each day on the bus for about another week, a couple of hours during a plane ride and another couple of hours in a hotel room, (while nothing else was going on), and the rough draft was completed in Word. Total time to develop the Word draft was probably about 12 hours and certainly no more than 16 hours. I just used those little bits of time and kept at it until the draft was done. Now I'm working on the web site in the same manner. And then it will be onto the companion software. And before you know it, I'll have, (as Gordon would say), a small potatoes information product, (two actually), that I'll be actively marketing. Total time invested will probably be about 30 hours but that will be because of the software. You certainly don't have to write any software. The point is, you can easily create an information product using what you know and investing just a few hours time.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"