SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 14, 2019, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Default Joe Cossman. Worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/6JlfhuHt5oc

33 years old, concepts that work.

Thanks to Charles H. for this link.

A very good infomercial which gives a lot of ideas and from the horse's mouth.

Gordon

PS. At the 38 min mark, he talks about TESTING. The secret.
Old July 14, 2019, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Missed opportunities and the 4th quarter comeback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

I KNOW a couple of you have this suitcase in your man caves, because we've talked about it. Pull it down and go through it again.

I regard it as one of the best info products ever, on my top 10 list along with Harvey Brody's "TOLL POSITION" course (How to Become Financially and Personally Independent) and Melvin Powers' Mail Order Course and others.

In the infomercial I've linked to, Cossman talks about SONY and VW and after WWII they could have been brought into USA for a song. And those who did, well, they live in the Mansions On The Hill.

Today, I'll start with missed opportunities. We've all had them.

My fav is Jim Straw telling the Steves (Jobs & Woz) that no one would ever want a computer in their homes and what did Apple have to do with it? POOR old Jim, missed out on owning 10% of Apple Computer...YIKES!!

But Jim just laughed about it, told me it wasn't his only miss, he had many of them.

In dealing with all these guys, a funny thing happened, (this from an assignment from Ben Suarez in 1996) when I reached out and talked to them. I always felt like they were club members, and had a secret handshake.

You know what? That whole Mail Order and Remote Direct Marketing industry was not some happy club of rich men, but there was a lot of pettiness and jealously out there too. This guy doubted if that one was the real thing. Over there thought this one over here was a phoney baloney.

It blew my mind, at the time. Today we see it every single day when a guy who is a WINNER, thinks that there is NO ONE else worthy of an opinion other than his.

In spite of the pettiness, there were groups of successful Entrepreneurs who worked together, but another surprise to me was how many crossed the line, went over the line in fact. We know Ben Suarez and Gary Halbert both spent time in club Fed, but so many others were FINED, shut down, regulated, and brought the house down on themselves with their slim shady behavior.

But, even the scoundrels had some winners along the way.

Maybe, we'll get into that in the near future. Today it is MISSED opportunities.

Mine were Tiger Balm and importing from Asia in the 70's after making contacts in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore and Japan. It was part of my Navy master plan to do so. I could have had exclusive area deals for HONDA, alas, a guy named Rick Case pulled the trigger on that, first with Motorcycles and then with cars.

And in 1977 I was offered the opportunity to develop Taco Bell in Northeast, OH. Even had an investor lined up. But kept running into, "Sure they sell in CA, but who in Ohio wants to eat a taco?" HA, HA. Today Ohio has over 300 Taco Bell locations. Missed that one too.

Missed out on franchising PAPA FELICE'S PIZZA when it was a real opportunity, and at the time only Pizza Hut had any national footprint.

Missed out on taking my Golf Shop to a franchise situation due to being trustworthy (read naive) and taking on partners.

I could go on and on, there have been, and still are some terrific opportunities that I have missed out on. And not all ancient either, in the last 20 years, we've showcased some of the hottest and newest tech right here at SowPub, and maybe a few of you seized the opportunity to ride the wave.

I'm sure that almost everyone reading this has one or two fish stories of the Whale that got away for what ever reason (Excuse??).

But mostly we miss out because we don't act. And we don't act because we don't THINK it through. We don't pencil it out. We don't have a clear view from the rooftop, nor a plan.

Cossman says he had over 20 winners, a winner to him was one that sold at least a million units. TWENTY million products sold. And of those only two were his own creations. Only 2.

18 were ACQUIRED, and most were either distressed, undervalued, under marketed or unknown.

75 years ago there were people who took the risk of importing goods from Japan and Germany the LOSERS in the war. 50 years ago people were creating, inventing and acquiring products for the BOOMER generation, the so-called pig in the python.

20 years ago, the www and Internet were shiny new things loaded with opportunity.

TODAY? Forget about it. It's over and done. NO more opportunity exists.

Right?

Well, that seems to be some of the attitude I've heard from a few of you fellow old farts.

You may be in the 4th quarter of your life, and maybe behind in the score, but you can have a comeback...and even win the game, unless you quit.

And all you need to do is reacquaint yourself with OPPORTUNITY, which is everywhere around you, and follow through.

Old guys, old courses still have a lot of wisdom, knowledge and experience you can call upon and make use of. Even their failures and misses.

Cossman talks about a lot of these in this 33 year old sales pitch for what was one of the best courses ever. Today, if Harvey Brody and Sherman Hunter did a one day seminar on TOLL positions, they would sell out of $25,000.00 seats in minutes and have a standing room only crowd.

Even Frank Kern would attend. ha!

Gordon
Old July 18, 2019, 10:11 PM

Lightbulb "The longest journey a person makes..."

"The longest journey a person makes in his life is from the time he leaves school until he finds his life's vocation. And very few people complete that journey, they drift into a job"
- E Joseph Cossman

Thank you for sharing this, Gordon

Quote:
https://youtu.be/6JlfhuHt5oc

33 years old, concepts that work.

Thanks to Charles H. for this link.

A very good infomercial which gives a lot of ideas and from the horse's mouth.

Gordon

PS. At the 38 min mark, he talks about TESTING. The secret.
Old July 19, 2019, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default A journey to Oxbow, WY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
"The longest journey a person makes in his life is from the time he leaves school until he finds his life's vocation. And very few people complete that journey, they drift into a job"
- E Joseph Cossman

Thank you for sharing this, Gordon

Speaking of a journey...this blog post from Sherman Hunter contains, in my opinion, one of the greatest truths out there, and I have frequently written about the Myth of Modeling (Do what I did, get what I got) put forth by 1001 gurus of success.

https://sdkhunter.com/why-cant-i-bec...-what-you-did/

Also, it only takes ONE story, like this one, to give one an ah-ha moment about their personal journey.

Good stuff, thanks Sherman.

Gordon
Old July 22, 2019, 05:01 AM

Lightbulb I like the way he puts it...

Thank you for sharing, Gordon

I like the way he puts it

I remember struggling to explain the seed thought to a friend this way: when someone hands you a map, you need to find where you are FIRST before the map can make any sense to you

And everyone is at his own unique space on the map of Life

Thanks again

Quote:
Speaking of a journey...this blog post from Sherman Hunter contains, in my opinion, one of the greatest truths out there, and I have frequently written about the Myth of Modeling (Do what I did, get what I got) put forth by 1001 gurus of success.

https://sdkhunter.com/why-cant-i-bec...-what-you-did/

Also, it only takes ONE story, like this one, to give one an ah-ha moment about their personal journey.

Good stuff, thanks Sherman.

Gordon
Old July 22, 2019, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Personalized POP and SQ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Thank you for sharing, Gordon

I like the way he puts it

I remember struggling to explain the seed thought to a friend this way: when someone hands you a map, you need to find where you are FIRST before the map can make any sense to you

And everyone is at his own unique space on the map of Life

Thanks again

Because I chose not to sell the SQ1 (in the past), they were posted up for FREE, almost since the beginning of the forum. Now, with some advances in software, they will probably become a 4 figure course.

A few who have worked with me, either on their copy or product development have been taken through the PROCESS of personalizing the PictoGrigm Of Persuasion (POP) or the SQ1 Master PictoGrigm.

Several have customized the Pyramid of Action (POA) for their goals.

Marking a big red X on your lifeline and filling in the information about your past, is what makes it personal and customized.

It is because of this personalization that I haven't done a book, or a course or even provided worksheets. Maybe blank worksheets will work for the course.

My original plan called for training a select few Master Instructors, but haven't pursued that.

Now I've long been anti-COPYCAT or the do what I did, get what I got standardized GURU formula. And this STARTING point is one of the reasons why.

See, everyone (but me) says IGNORE your past, look to the future, start today, and follow the system, follow MY map to get where you want to go...but what they leave out is: your baggage, which is also making the journey with you.

If you don't get rid of a lot of it, you'll find yourself back where you started only TIME has passed, and you have gone in a circle.

I'm glad this example shines some light on this idea. Many of you are going to benefit greatly from Sherman Hunter's forthcoming software and project, keep visiting for the latest updates and be sure to take his questionaire.

Gordon (once again, the little old map maker at the bottom of the mountain).