SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 23, 2007, 12:18 AM
Phil

Default What’s the Drudge Report worth?

I know a few of the 360 million monthly pageviews are from Sowpubbers...

Just goes to Show you How such a Simple format and idea Can be so Successful...

Ok... Matt Drudge's name helps a bit...

Make sure you Visit and Read Daily... Can't beat the FREE News for Trends.. Ideas and Opportunities...

“Drudge’s advertising agency recently claimed that the site enjoys 360 million monthly pageviews and 10 million unique visitors a month. That might lead Drudge to conclude that the site is worth anywhere from $40 million (using unique visitors) to $86.4 million (using ad revenue from pageviews).”

http://blogs.journalism.co.uk/editor...-report-worth/
http://www.drudgereport.com/

Phil
Old December 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
Larry Foster

Default Re: What’s the Drudge Report worth?

One of my daily stops.
Larry
Old December 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Why the Drudge Report knocks its competitors senseless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Make sure you Visit and Read Daily... Can't beat the FREE News for Trends.. Ideas and Opportunities...

“Drudge’s advertising agency recently claimed that the site enjoys 360 million monthly pageviews and 10 million unique visitors a month. That might lead Drudge to conclude that the site is worth anywhere from $40 million (using unique visitors) to $86.4 million (using ad revenue from pageviews).”

http://blogs.journalism.co.uk/editor...-report-worth/
http://www.drudgereport.com/
I love the Drudge Report! And one reason why is because...

I think he sometimes writes GREAT headlines! Sometimes he just reproduces the original, but when he rewrites it, they're often much better than the original headlines of the articles he links to...

And of course, this is very relevant to marketing... Since you have to be able to get people to read (or listen) to what you have to say!

Here are a sample of what I mean...

Drudge headline: HILLARY SNAFU: Supporters urged to caucus -- 11 days late!

Original headline: Clinton supporters urged to caucus ... 11 days late

Comment: Adding "Hillary Snafu" really adds drama!

Drudge headline: Ron Paul Unleashed On MEET THE PRESS...

Original headline: Paul Defends Asking for Special Projects

Comment: The original headline is boring and dreary, while the Drudge headline puts into your mind a snarling, attack dog ("unleashed")....

Drudge headline: DOWD: IT'S ALL ABOUT BILL... (with a picture of Hillary Clinton)

Original headline: Savior or Saboteur?

Comment: The original headline is vague - you have no idea what topic it's about without going on to read the first paragraph. The Drudge headline, with it's picture, makes it clear that the article is all about the Clintons, and adds drama by suggesting that Bill Clinton is drawing attention to himself, away from Hillary...

Drudge headline: ...Naked Man Arrested After Ax Attack

Original headline: Crawford Co. Man Arrested for Ax Attack

Comment: The original headline is dramatic, but the Drudge headline, adding the word "Naked", makes it doubly dramatic! You're not only asking, "why did he perform an ax attack", but you also ask, "why the &#@%! was he naked?!"

Drudge headline: 65 MILLION ON THE MOVE

Original headline: AAA Predicts Small Increase in Travel During Holiday Season

Comment: The original headline emphasizes how "undramatic" the "news" is... ho hum... On the other hand, the Drudge headline instead brings out the drama in the news! (Even if the numbers are similar to last year.)

Drudge headline: Obama: Bill Clinton advisers prefer me...

Original headline: Dems duel over foreign policy advisers

Comment: Original is ho-hum. Drudge headline is more specific and adds conflict between Obama and the Clintons!

Drudge headline: Putin's Judo Maneuvers Now on Video...

Original headline: Putin's Defense Maneuvers Now on Video

Comment: "Defense Maneuvers" is vague so it's hard to picture - I think of tanks with this headline, not martial arts. While "Judo Maneuvers" is more specific and paints a much better mental picture. I can just picture Putin in his judo clothes, in some sort of martial-arts stance!

Drudge headline: SPACE RACE: Rocket launched; carries satellite to guide weapons...

Original headline: Rocket launched into space; carries satellite to guide weapons

Comment: Adding the words "SPACE RACE" adds drama!

Drudge headline: SANTA KNOCKED OUT IN SPOKANE...

Original headline: Thrown Object Knocks Out Santa

Comment: The Drudge version of the headline brings to my mind a "knockout" boxing match, with Santa in one corner of the boxing ring! It also has some "catchy" alliteration, with the repeated "S" sounds in "Santa" and "Spokane"...

So, in short, sometimes I read the Drudge Report just to enjoy the dramatic headlines. Being able to write dramatic, attention-getting headlines is also critical in direct-response marketing too! Maybe that's partly a secret to his success?

Here's where you can find an archive of the last week's Drudge Report headlines...
http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/dsp/links_recap.htm

Cheers

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 23, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more info
Old December 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
layla17

Default Re: Why the Drudge Report knocks its competitors senseless...

I love the Drudge Report. My favorite recent headline was the "Santa Clause Knocked Out in Spokane" It was hilarious.