SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 24, 2000, 08:37 AM
Dien Rice

Default Watch the open window

A window of opportunity can sometimes be open a moment, then close again in an instant. If you miss the moment of opportunity, it may never come again. Here's an example.

If you go to www.amazon.com or www.bn.com, and look up the author "Paul Davies," you will find a lot of popular science books. You'll also find his books in almost ANY book store. Professor Paul Davies has written many really great books - I highly recommend them. He also made some important physics discoveries. In fact, there is something in physics which is called the "Davies-Unruh effect" which is partly named after him.

I had the opportunity once to have lunch with him. It was just me, Paul Davies, and another guy named Richard Josza, who has himself done a lot of important work in the field of quantum computing (trying to develop new, faster computer which uses quantum effects).

Now, let me tell you - in physics, I'm still relatively junior. But in physics, Paul Davies and Richard Josza are famous for their work, and Paul Davies is also (especially in the UK and Australia) a TV celebrity, explaining science at a popular level. How did I get to have lunch with these two luminaries in their fields? Here's how.

I saw the opportunity, and grabbed it on the spot. I was attending a conference of the Australian Optical Society in Adelaide, Australia, in December 1997, which was being held at the University of Adelaide. Everyone who was at the conference would go to the same place for lunch.

I went and got my lunch, and went to find a place to sit - and I noticed Paul Davies sitting by himself at a table. I saw the opportunity - so I asked if it was okay for me to sit there, he said "okay," and I sat next to him. I figured that many of the other people were too "star struck" to have the courage to sit next to the famous Paul Davies. I saw the opportunity and grabbed it. Richard Josza then came and joined us....

We had a great discussion about quantum computing - which is what Richard Josza is famous for, and which Paul Davies was interested in. And little old me - a NOBODY - was talking about this with two luminaries in the world of physics. Why?

Because I spotted the opportunity and grabbed it. There was a room full of people there who could have ALSO grabbed the same opportunity - but either they didn't realize it, or they didn't have the courage to do so. But I saw it, and I decided that this opportunity to talk with two famous physicists one-on-one was too good for me to miss!

In some cases, I believe you make your own luck. But in other cases, the opportunities come to you. Most people let the opportunities pass them by - and then they wonder why they never get anywhere. I try to keep an open-mind for these opportunities, and if I see the opportunity, I try to make sure I don't let it get away! You can do the same thing.

I would say I get many very interesting and important opportunities for many things coming my way every year. Several great opportunities a year. Some of them do get away, but I try to grab them if I can. However, I've noticed that MOST people don't even try to grab them. Most people let the opportunities just sail right on by....

What do YOU want to do? Is your mind open to seeing the OPPORTUNITIES when they come your way?

Good luck keeping your mind open and with grabbing those opportunities before they sail on by!

Dien Rice
Old September 24, 2000, 01:54 PM
Paul Short

Default Re: Watch the open window

Hi Dien,

I too have made a lot of great connections by grabbing that "window of opportunity".

Far too many people are "starstruck" and thus make the great ones unapproachable in their own mind. They think of themselves as inferior and miss out on the chance to converse with the "Guru's" one on one.

These people are people with interests just like you and I, and welcome the opportunity to talk shop with other like minded individuals.

If an opportunity arises, grab it. Or make your own!

Paul
Old September 24, 2000, 04:20 PM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default Re: Watch the open window

Happy Sunday, Dien, Paul and others!

This reminds me of an opportunity I had revolving around one of my most favorite pediatricians, Dr. T. Berry Brazelton. I was reading his stuff, watching his Lifetimetv television show for years before I even had a baby! (I am quite the planner, as you might have guessed!)

After three years of hopes and prayers, my first born daughter, Marlena, died at birth. I became involved with a Grief Support group and responded to a request for information from a doctor in Boston who studies Pre-Birth Communication. He and I networked, with him even asking me to present at a conference in London, and meet with him and his colleague, T. Berry Brazelton.

Now if this were TODAY, you would BET I would have jumped at the chance! However, it was years ago....about six years ago, and I was not the opportunity grabber and creator that I am now!

Do I regret it? Somewhat! Yet I also know these opportunities are REALLY around us ALL the time! People who we admire are simply PEOPLE! They just happen to have gotten somewhere we want to be by putting in the time, effort, energy...learned the lesson already...could be a number of things.

I have written 100 lifetime goals, but I also have written a list of 100 people I would like to meet.

Just like putting goals to paper creates some sort of momentum towards achieving them, the same thing can be said for creating relationships. With one of my clients we are working towards finding him a partner. I am having him be really specific, writing not just "beautiful woman, 25 years old, yada yada" but really specific.

I will send you all invitations to his wedding when it happens! Cause it will!

Now who are the 100 people on your list? What doors of opportunity are YOU opening?

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE

Dare to Discover Your Passion!
Old September 25, 2000, 11:34 AM
Dien Rice

Default Opportunities magically appear

Hi Julie,

I really like your idea of writing out your goals and people you'd like to meet.... I agree with you that writing them down helps you to achieve your goals.... :)

And it is amazing how many opportunities you can notice right in front of you once you are "in tune" with them....

It's a matter of spotting them, and also sometimes using a little bit of creativity to see just HOW it is an opportunity.... As some people say, problems are really just opportunities in disguise.... :)

Those were some great hints.... Thanks Julie! :)

Dien