SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 20, 2017, 05:45 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to profit from wishing people a happy divorce...!

Divorce is often a very painful experience... And people often don't really want to talk about it, and prefer to avoid the subject...

However, a relatively recent approach is to go the opposite way... and throw a party!

Why not celebrate the new-found freedom?!

And with divorce parties come... Divorce cakes!

These often come with a theme of freedom... Such as a broken ball and chain!

As the celebration of divorce becomes more accepted... There will be more and more opportunities here. Just as divorce parties led to divorce cakes... What about - divorce party decorations? Divorce gifts? Divorce honeymoons? Divorce greeting cards?

Who knows what could be next?!

(Just think of everything related to weddings... Will there be a divorce equivalent?)

Here's an opportunity to be at the front of a trend, when you think about it...!

Divorce cakes are a tasty — and hilarious — new trend
http://www.cjob.com/syn/123/37300/di...ious-new-trend

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 20, 2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old April 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Or a second divorce and then deciding to go it alone

Years after my second divorce I tried dating again. I'm sure it was me, not them. Wonderful gals — but I felt I was too old to be starting a third family. I won't say never again.... that's a long time (I hope). Also saw a lot of people around my age going through the same thing so a few years later I started 50alone.com

Maybe it was therapy. I dunno'. Made a few bucks with it promoting books off of Amazon. I would find ones that were on a free preview for a few days, write the article and tell my followers the book was free right now, but if they didn't get it now, they would have to pay for it later on. Others who weren't on my announcement list came along later and bought the books.

I'm not promoting the site anymore. Still have the Facebook group for it, and usually post to it the odd time. The only reason is that the odd time someone will email me and thank me for sharing articles that hit home with them. I guess it still serves a purpose of sorts.

There is definitely a market there for it though. And if you can be of a genuine assistance to folks that need some support and direction, you deserve to make a few bucks for your efforts. You also help people cope, and watch them learn to feel better about themselves. That makes you feel good. So it's a win/win.

Can't remember... was it Zig Ziglar who said, "If you help enough other people get what they want, you will get what you want?"

Regards,
Steve
Old April 21, 2017, 01:59 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Thanks for sharing that, Steve... More about the over-50s alone market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
Years after my second divorce I tried dating again. I'm sure it was me, not them. Wonderful gals — but I felt I was too old to be starting a third family. I won't say never again.... that's a long time (I hope). Also saw a lot of people around my age going through the same thing so a few years later I started 50alone.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing how you started 50alone.com ...

Last year or maybe in 2015 I found out about Stitch www.stitch.net , which is a startup targeting over 50s who were alone (it sounds similar to your project)... Not only to help them with romance, but also to help with companionship and friendships.

It's a startup, but I know about it because I know someone who invested money in it.

I think it was very popular with its users. I believe the business, though, had problems because they were hoping to grow through word of mouth... However, because they were targeting people who were alone or lonely, their users didn't have many people to tell about it, so the growth was much slower than expected...

It's still going, though I think it's now switched over to being a non-profit...

(The person I know who invested I think managed to get a profit back, due to the special deal he had, but I think many investors lost some of their money...)

One thing with writing about divorce is, I'm conscious how painful it can be, so I tried to be careful to walk a line where I don't make light of it! I'm not divorced, but I've had "hot discussions" (that's what my parents would call them) with my girlfriend, who's now my wife, where we felt like we were going to come close... It wasn't fun...! (Luckily, so far each time we've patched things up...)

Best wishes,

Dien