SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default General discussion and some clean up.

There was a thread from Jan 2007 I believe regarding the Super Chattlers forum, that forum is now closed, thanks for your queries.
(I don't know what happened, I think a moderator deleted it).

Below I responded to my request for questions we can incorporate at the Suarez Business Institute. Your time and responses are always appreciated, but as I was writing my reply, something very serious occured to me.

Most people (I believe) don't want to start or learn how to start a business...they just want to know how to make money.

My old friend Jim Straw even sends out an email which proves this, he got this type of an email from someone on his list.

There are some "GRAY" AREAS, and these are the areas where you CAN make money without having a business. Of course, CHATTELING is at the top of my list.

Gamblers fall into this area, be they pony players, slot guys, pokerites, or NFL football...Day traders, and stock investors may be in this group.

OFF-the-books work, by plumbers, electricians, roofers, home repair and even grandmas who hem pants at home for some "pin" money...

these aren't legititmate BUSINESSES, however, some of them can produce an income, especially when they are organized as if they were a business.

I'm in the market for some sewing lessons in my home. I've created a game and it has a component that needs some sewing, so to create the protypes EXACTLY as I want them, I want to be able to sew a basic stitch or two and experiment with various materials. Once I have them the way I want them, then I'll outsource the initial prototypes to other people who can follow my STEP BY STEP plans.

So far, I've only found ONE person in the area who advertises and she's pretty booked up. She runs ads on craigslist.org which has become a HAVEN for the underground economy that fits into that Grey area I wrote about.

I doubt if my seemstress Granny reports all of her "pin" money to the powers that collect the taxes, she SHOULD (of course), however, I don't think she needs fear the FBI breaking down her door just yet.

When she starts running late night infomercials offering to teach others how to make a fortune from their sewing machines...well, she may have reason to get nervous.

So as I am putting together a great COURSE (BASED ON 90 YEARS OF SUCCESS) on how to start a business, there is another aspect that has me saying...

Many people don't want to start a business, they just want to make money.

So flippers of all kinds fall into this category, although when you flip licensed property, be it real estate or personal, you have to register stuff and pay your taxes or else, unless you flip web sites "secretly" on the Internet or something like that.

In some ways what Harvey Brody does or what Jim Staw does as a FINDER, that is, to have a TOLL POSITION on a product or to find some property and sell it, probably can be done without really calling yourself a business...although, believe me, both of these guys are PROFESSIONAL businessmen with over 100 years of success in a wide variety of businesses.

But my point is, and I guess I want to query you on this:

Do you WANT to learn how to start or grow a business or do you just want to know how to make some money?

Thanks,

Gordon Jay Alexander