SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10, 2020, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default In the real world, what is happening?

Needs tested. I don't see it working. Here's why:

What is the process? Today, I don't think anyone gives two hoots about a daily special, they want to know who is open and who delivers (or has pick up).

Now what is the process, tell me if people in your areas do things different from this:

People stuck at home. Want food. What do they do?

In my area, MOST would use Google or Bing and type in something like:

Restaurants open near me. OR
Restaurants near me with delivery or pickup.

Some combination of those search terms. The place has to be OPEN, then it has to have either delivery or pickup. With all the delivery apps, almost all of them should offer delivery. However, if the place is a short drive, many will opt to pick it up, just to get out of the house.

I just did this at Google and Bing. MAPS came up.

Now what kind of food do I want? Pizza? Burgers? Meals?

I may feel like pizza, so I check with my local fav, in my zip codes I have about 15 choices. One of our local favorites, Da Vincis, is closed.

Maybe, maybe someone is looking for a daily special on pizza, how can they beat the 5 or 10 dollar deals the big chains are offering?

Look, I don't know. Who pays for the listing at a Facebook site? How do you convince Momma Felice to pay you to get people who want her daily specials.

Maybe I'm missing something but I see a lot of slop, mess and time spent for very little return on investment.

A daily special TODAY, isn't going to make a difference to most restaurants which are still open.
But, I could be wrong.

Gordon
PS Also, from what little anecdotal evidence I can find, a sit down restaurant is lucky to be doing 20% of their daily business with delivery or pick up. Those restaurants which would offer a daily special, are just too expensive, a family with kids at home, not going to order the steak dinner to go, even for a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Don,

I believe you probably have the seeds of a great idea here!

If you can get enough "local eyeballs" on your website, it could work...

I'd have to think about it some more...

I kind of wonder if a local Facebook group could work...

(The main advantage of that is that, if it's active, Facebook will promote it for you... But - the problem is it is really owned by Facebook, and they can close the group or "change the rules" at any time...)

After thinking about it a little, I think the best approach could be to develop a local email list. This then becomes similar to your "Fax Bux" idea - but using emails, rather than faxes...

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 10, 2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Formatting