SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 1, 2016, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Adding the POP.

Trying to post a jpg.

The Pictogrigm of Persuasion. Don't lose it.

Old November 1, 2016, 03:06 PM

Lightbulb WOW! This is POP-ping...

This is a lot more detailed - and helpful-
than "AIDA", which some sharp fellows have
built very expensive "courses" around.

Thank you
Old November 1, 2016, 03:37 PM

Lightbulb By the way...

...Am I the only one who HATES the AIDA
formula?
  • Attention
  • Interest
  • Desire
  • Action

The only things I find clear there are the
Attention and the Action.

But the Interest... How do I know what
interests them?

And Desire? How EXACTLY do I make them desire
my offer?

Vague. Vague. Vague!!!

I think I'll go with the POP...
Old November 1, 2016, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default The pop is A tool of the SQ1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
...Am I the only one who HATES the AIDA
formula?
  • Attention
  • Interest
  • Desire
  • Action
The only things I find clear there are the
Attention and the Action.

But the Interest... How do I know what
interests them?

And Desire? How EXACTLY do I make them desire
my offer?

Vague. Vague. Vague!!!

I think I'll go with the POP...

The Pictogrigm of persuasion is part of the Square one Workshops. Let me defend AIDA, BUT I learned it as aidcas.

Attention, Interest, Desire, Conclusion Action SATISFACTION. The s is the most important part.

Allow me to relate this and the POP to Remote Direct Response Selling or marketing.

I'll use a recent example. I have a new Hotsheet. Before I even started writing it, I used a Stimulus/Response matrix to identify the ideal prospect, and the ideal INTERSECTION where the promotion meets that person.

In the old days, the "rule" was you targeted a prospect who had shown interest by being on a list of people who had bought something similar, bought it recently or frequently. But, the general ads, in print, were either targeted to the readers of such things, like Popular Science probably wasn't a good choice to offer Women's clothing. Newspapers were about numbers.

OK, so the HOW you knew or know today, what is their INTEREST, is determined where you put the INTERSECTION (and I'm starting to think I am the preeminent teacher of the Intersection {or interception}concept).

Want to sell Trump hats, don't advertise on a Hillary website, go where his crowd goes. Today, Cleveland Indians jerserys are not a best seller in Chicago.

So their interest has to do with the product itself. See? In my New Hotsheet case, it is targeted toward people who are interested in Instant Persuasion and they have identified themselves by
A) signing up for my new newsletter, then B)responding to the episode in the manner suggested, in this case a specific subject header sent to my email.

So, I KNOW they have interest in the subject. Although maybe many of the forum readers MIGHT have interest, or one of the thousands on our various lists MAY be interested, I know for a fact those which respond in the way I ask, DO, and their interest is immediate and so I make the Intersection about that interest, and create the desire via:

Limited numbers. Bias toward a fear of loss or being left out. Bias for wanting to belong, bias toward secret insider information. All tools for me to use in the promotion, at the Intersection.

That is very targeted, but in the general world, you would use Maslow's Pyramid or the SQ1, to help identify their interests and preoccupations which allow you to construct the best Pre-occupational Interrupter. The POP shows a brick thrown into the bubble. Here is one of my favorite cartoons to illustrate this:

The PI matches the situation, the moment of the Intersection. Desire is created by, like what I used...scarcity, limited time, important to them and their goals, it is on the same frequency as their thinking. Like the cartoon shows.

I'll add to this post to show how to use the SQ1 to get some of these answers too.

GordonJ

Last edited by GordonJ : November 1, 2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old November 1, 2016, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default The SQ1 and the Maslow Pyramid.

This is a simple and typical Maslow Pyramid, the basics.

The SQ1 have 5 lanes, or 5 rings, and the paths are color coded too, from bottom to top the Master Pictogrigm goes:

Bottom, Brown/Gold
Green
Red
Blue
White on top. A childlike view of the earth, a kindergardner drawing...

The gold shows the earth, inside is great wealth seen in diamonds, gems, iron ore, etc. The green is for the grass and the ECO system, the red for relationships, blue for thought and white for spirit.

These actually synch up with the basic Maslow pyramid. The need for money, and the activity to get money is a wide based desire, a part of the physiological needs of Maslow.

So where does your product fit in? One example might be someone buying a Tony Robbins book like the Money Master Game, because they don't know how to make money and/or need money, they would be in the brown or base of needs/wants...but a person spending 25k to attend a retreat on Tony's island, is more than likely at the top of Maslow pyramid and White area of the SQ1.

SEE? You would not set up the same Intersection for both even though they have a common theme. You would arouse interest in them, after you have their attention, and maybe just his name would do that job gaining attentiopn, then they sort themselves or you give them a binary choice...book or retreat? By their choice, they tell you how to arouse the interest.

Give AIDA another look, only use the AIDCAS instead. Cause, if you include the satisfaction part,they become repeat buyers and have a much larger life time value as customers.

The POP is a tool. The very first thing is to write down what you want that person on the right, the one in the igloo of self interest, what exactly do you want them to do...and from that answer, you create the stimulus to get that response.

Make any sense?

Gordon Jay Alesander

Last edited by GordonJ : November 1, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old November 2, 2016, 10:23 AM
Bigmack

Default Re: Adding the POP.

Gordan, any way to post the picture some other way? Yours is blocked by my internet.

Just wondering.

Mack
Old November 2, 2016, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Try one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmack View Post
Gordan, any way to post the picture some other way? Yours is blocked by my internet.

Just wondering.

Mack

Or http://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/pop.jpg

Or http://www.angelfire.com/biz/gjbiz/popbig.html

Or here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45286943/pop.jpg

if none of those work, send me an email and I'll attach it.

Gordon
Old November 3, 2016, 08:41 AM
Bigmack

Default Re: Adding the POP.

That worked. Thank you very much.

Mack
Old November 5, 2016, 10:49 PM

Lightbulb B..bu..but what about cults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

That is very targeted, but in the general world, you would use Maslow's Pyramid or the SQ1, to help identify their interests and preoccupations which allow you to construct the best Pre-occupational Interrupter...

The PI matches the situation, the moment of the Intersection. Desire is created by, like what I used...scarcity, limited time, important to them and their goals, it is on the same frequency as their thinking. Like the cartoon shows.

GordonJ

How would you classify CULTS on the Maslow
Hierarchy of Needs?

I wonder because at first blush it seems they
try to meet their prospects' need for
Love/Belonging... but their appeals almost
never stress that upfront.

Take for instance the "Pentecostal" cults.

They promise more of health and wealth, as if
they are targeting the Safety/Security rung
of the ladder... until the poor "seeker" takes the
bait.

Then he gets to pay dearly with his time and
money, but interestingly enough at this
point, he's actually loving it, defending his
"master" at any opportunity he can get, for
saving him from his "past life of ignorance".

So how do we explain this?

Is it that the cults use the Safety/Security
rung as a BAIT and then the Love/Belonging
rung as an UPSELL?

What do you think?
Old November 6, 2016, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Suggest you study the SQ1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
How would you classify CULTS on the Maslow
Hierarchy of Needs?

I wonder because at first blush it seems they
try to meet their prospects' need for
Love/Belonging... but their appeals almost
never stress that upfront.

Take for instance the "Pentecostal" cults.

They promise more of health and wealth, as if
they are targeting the Safety/Security rung
of the ladder... until the poor "seeker" takes the
bait.

Then he gets to pay dearly with his time and
money, but interestingly enough at this
point, he's actually loving it, defending his
"master" at any opportunity he can get, for
saving him from his "past life of ignorance".

So how do we explain this?

Is it that the cults use the Safety/Security
rung as a BAIT and then the Love/Belonging
rung as an UPSELL?

What do you think?

I think you have the Maslow Pyramid as a static tool, consider the Egyptian pyramids where you could walk up and down, so a person would be moving.

I prefer the SQ1 and a five lane highway. Here, in USA, the right lanes are turn-off and slow lanes while the left ones are speed or multi passenger lanes.

In a city (a life) there are many INTERSECTIONS, it is dynamic, people are in motion, going from one to the next, or they are changing lanes on their personal highways.

A cult will be more like the highway, and combined with the Intersection where a person comes in contact with it, I doubt if a universal appeal exists. A good cult leader (good being one able to get members), is one that has structured the Intersection to match the traffic. Unless it is seeking a very specific type of member, then a more static approach might apply.

The type of cult you describe adds the "heaven ON Earth" element to the prize of everlasting heaven. Unlike Christ, who told the rich man to give away his wealth and then join him guys like Joel Osteen/Creflo Dollar, et al, tell their cult members to give their wealth to THEM, to get a better seat on the train bound for eternal grace.

You have to think of a TARGET (of your persuasion) to be more like the little ducks at the carnival shooting game, where they move...and not as a static target as in an archery contest.

BUT, the effective persuasion appeal is the one that most fits the target at the time of the Intersection. One size might not fit all but, but XL-L-M-S might fit the majority of shoppers in THAT store.

So, using the Intersection, and the pitch during the Red Light, the cult would probably have a few pitches at the ready, and give the one most suited to the situation and from their cold reading of their target.
GordonJ

Last edited by GordonJ : November 6, 2016 at 09:00 AM.