SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 10, 2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default Broadstroke overview.

General...with many exceptions to these guidelines.

Joe Cossman liked consumer products; ant farm, etc.
Watch his video and see it is old and those featured had consumer products.

Harvey Brody likes industrial/mfgr; molds, formulae, etc. Although he has two big selling consumer products, Zoom Spout and Pistol Grip.

Harvey Reese likes Intellectual Property.

All share certain strategies, like a TOLL POSITION and CONTROL of a product or asset.

They also share a need for TIME, rarely a deal is struck quickly and months and even years, sometimes are needed. It requires patience.

There is no one size template to suit everyone. Pick what you think is best.

Sherman Hunter also incorporates the TOLL Position, and he liked PUBLISHING products, the ol, paper and ink. Which also require TIME and even though they all might say, "without money"...

be prepared to hire a good patent/protection attorney and a good INSURANCE agent who specializes in patent protection...neither are cheap and doubtful you'll find one to work on spec. But, maybe?

The OVERNIGHT ENTREPRENEUR method by Sherman Hunter is by far and away the FASTEST

QUICKEST

strategy in all their tool boxes. One drawback is getting a business where you need to be involved in...EXAMPLES

A shoe repair shop (all leather items; purses, shoes and briefcases) is a skilled trade...

A guy selling his shop has to have someone trained or you have to learn how to do it.

Whereas, a pizza shop can be (and often are) operated by high school idiots...

it then should make sense, to look for those "distressed" businesses which can be paid for from profits but also operated by remote means with only an occasional onsite inspection.

Finding tools, dies, molds is, for the most part...a long term project unless you have someone who can tell you if there is a ready to buy market.

Locating NEW products is easy, but just watch Shark Tank or Lion's Den for a season to see how delusional many inventors/creators are.

There is the RARE story where someone turns down a deal and makes it on their own, but my experience tells that 9 out of 10 will exhaust their time, money and energy on a product which no one wants.

If I had a dime for all those inventors I spoke to who said, "Everyone will want one"...I might have several pockets full of dimes.

If you have no experience, starting from scratch...plan on a three to four year learning curve into the consumer/industrial/IP Toll Booth markets, and the Harvey Brody course Dien mentions is as good as anything.

Just be clear about what you want to do, because, for every 1 guy who has a residual income Toll Booth set up, there are probably 50 who tried and couldn't.

If you want SPEED, consider Sherman Hunters stuff and new site...BUT don't neglect the old masters as a place to begin to lay a foundation of understanding.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi AscendedMind and Gordon,

Harvey Brody produced a number of courses and reports over the years... Generally from the early 1970s to the early 1980s...

If you can, get them all! (I have all the ones I could get my hands on, but I haven't read them all yet.)

I'd start with his original course, though: "How to Become Financially and Personally Independent." The full course is 5 books - "Parts 1 & 2," "Part 3, Section 1," "Part 3, Section 2," "Special Bonus Section 1: The Acceleration Approach," and "Special Bonus Section 2: Creation." (I mention that, because sometimes people don't sell complete sets of the books.)

It gives you the foundation, and is actually a fun read, too. Very inspirational, as well as educational!

Gordon wrote:

I found this post, where Gordon shares some more resources on Licensing...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26801

I'm going to be paying more attention to Sherman Hunter, too!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by GordonJ : May 10, 2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default PS. A story.

In the 1994 edition of 7 Steps to Freedom II book, Ben Suarez was excited about the day soon to arrive when he could sell electrons. And eliminate the paper and ink. He foresaw the future.

Too bad, that today, 22 years after his vision, SCI has never been able to figure out how to sell electrons.

Also, in that book, he tells the story of how he planned to beat the big corporations (and he did) by being "nimble and fast on his feet"...which he talked about going up against the 400 pound gorilla. Now he is the gorilla.

See? Sometimes big success slows you down.

Harvey Brody had a successful publishing business, which he closed down and got rid of all his employees. So far, NONE of his masterful work has been digitized and he too, does not sell electrons.

The point is, YOU, as a one man band, can compete with the giants, geniuses and gifted marketers...IF

you are quick and nimble, and float like a butterfly and market like an Autumn bee.

I will give credit to Sherman Hunter who is attempting to automate the whole thing...and is selling electrons (although not his own, YET)...

And from a doing perspective, most SowPubbers would probably benefit from thinking about acquisition of stored value, via distressed businesses.

Of course, all mentioned in this thread have sensational businesses and they do what they love to do.

Do YOU?

GJA
Old May 10, 2016, 07:44 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Chemicals and Specialty Products are still golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Now, if this link works...meet another of the TOLL position proteges...

https://sdkhunter.com/archives/33

Here you find a story about a different kind of TOLL, one which resonates more with ME than molds, oils or specialty products.
I clicked on the link, and got an "Error"...

But then I figured it out... You have to join the website (which is free), and be logged in, otherwise you get the "Error" message when you click the link...

By the way, that's a great article!

Worth reading for anyone interested in toll positions and stored value...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 11, 2016, 04:56 AM
ascendedmind

Default "The Ideal Distressed Suitcase Business?

Wow, Gordon I really appreciate your knowledge & research! What type of distressed businesses does Sherman focus on, which would qualify as a suitcase business?

Yes, I signed up to read his blog etc. However, I have not found any specifics. I understand the concept of stored value. I like the idea, but what is the reality? Is Sherman over simplifying this?

Have you listened to any of Art Hamel interviews by Michael Senoff? He specializes in buying specific types of manufacturing businesses because you can use finance the assets & get owner financing.

However, it does not sound like an opportunity Harvey would pursue. Bog down & too time consuming?

Art Hamel says:

"In manufacturing, you have to buy equipment, lots of it. You need lots
of inventory. You end up with a lot of accounts receivable, which
means a lot of people owe you money. So, when you’re in there, and
you have X number of dollars, lots of dollars invested in assets, it’s
very difficult for somebody or people generally to go in and compete
with you.

Why? It’s too costly"

Don’t go after service and retail businesses. There a dime a dozen & too easy to enter into.

“I have to ask you (Wannabe business buyers)three questions.

First of all, do you have any business experience? Number two, do you
have any management experience? Number three, do you have any
money? Now, if you don’t’ have two of these, you’re screwed.

Additionally, Art Hamel says:

"What are three things I have to have in place in order to value
companies correctly, purchase them, and then operate them towards a
more profitable future... And where can I locate the right people with that
expertise to be on my team?"

"First of all, in every transaction, you’re going to need a CPA, a good
one, and a CPA that understands business. Don’t go to some CPA
that’s working for General Motors. You’ve seen the job that they’ve
done.

What you want is a nice CPA who’s done a lot of work with smaller
businesses, that has experience in that, and has also done audits or
checking on sales of businesses.

You also want an attorney that is used to putting business transactions
together, not somebody that is an expert in law that has to do with
divorces. You want two experts in your court.

Now, the problem is they are the exception rather than the rule. So,
you’re going to have to rely on your attorney, your CPA, and also other
business owners because what’s going to happen is if you’re looking at
electronics manufacturing companies, you’re not going to buy the first
one you run into."

Sounds very complex & time consuming to me.

Gordon, any idea what Sherman considers an Ideal distressed business to acquire as a suitcase business?

Old May 11, 2016, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Jim Straw and the most beautiful woman in the world.

First, I love what Michael has done at Hard to Find Seminars and his other site, and I've listened to many of the interviews. Art Hamel is a genius in his own right. And he proves my old friend Jim Straw's point about...

Who is the most beautiful woman in the world? question.

The answer is totally SUBJECTIVE. Depends on what any given person thinks beautiful IS. Right?

Same goes for business. My brother and Tiny both had a tow truck business, which I could never do. If you've read about the Cuckoo Clock, you see I'm not good with my hands.

A power tool in my hands is usually followed with a call to 911. See?

Art Hamel proffers his opinion. I would agree there is a lot of slop and mess, FOR ME, in what he teaches. INVENTORY?

Lack of product put Gary Halbert in Fed. prison, his supply chain was broken. So, from an absentee stand point, why would I even bother to put the waders on and venture into that swamp...filled with gators,

when I can stay on dry land and feast on the low hanging fruit?

I know MANY people who operate the LOWLY "dime a dozen" service and retail business, and do very well for themselves.

Get to know Sherman Hunter, read as much as you can...and take his survey. It may shed some light. Although I think I could create a better survey, and I usually do on the phone asking questions...

the answer to the question:

What is an Ideal distressed business to acquire as a suitcase business?

from MY perspective (and I can't speak for Sherman, but I think he might agree)...

is the one which BEST SUITS YOU.

So, it begins with an understanding of YOURSELF.

What aptitudes and attitudes you bring to the game.

I have ZERO ability with building things, making music (which I deeply regret) and dealing with people who waste time.

But that is me. Therefore, I wouldn't spend hours trying to learn to play guitar, it would be fruitless...but if there were a profitable music store for sale, and the owner is retiring...

I'm "good enough" at analyzing the books to be able to conclude whether or not it could be added to the mix, but, you won't find me in the store trying to sell you a flute, cause I couldn't tell you the difference between a flute and a piccolo.

The most beautiful woman? Why, it is my "current" girlfriend, of course!

Gordon

PS A part of Sherman's strategy is to be able to look at and analyze a business opportunity from a spreadsheet...profit and loss statement, same as you see the sharks in the tank ask about sales and

VALUATION. They know at the first question, which question comes next.

One of the best of the ideal (best looking women) suitcase takeovers is Stored Value IP, as our friend Ryan McGrath spoke of some time back...in his "resurrecting" of an out of print book.

That, or get the rights to the PRINCE catalog, there seems to be some iffiness about who owns it NOW?

But, I like to look at established businesses with a Senior Owner, who wants someone else to have the fun he/she has had for decades. They are very open to ideas.

There is no right, wrong, THIS way or THAT way absolutes.

It begins....with...

what YOU bring along.

gja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedmind View Post
Wow, Gordon I really appreciate your knowledge & research! What type of distressed businesses does Sherman focus on, which would qualify as a suitcase business?

Yes, I signed up to read his blog etc. However, I have not found any specifics. I understand the concept of stored value. I like the idea, but what is the reality? Is Sherman over simplifying this?

Have you listened to any of Art Hamel interviews by Michael Senoff? He specializes in buying specific types of manufacturing businesses because you can use finance the assets & get owner financing.

However, it does not sound like an opportunity Harvey would pursue. Bog down & too time consuming?

Art Hamel says:

"In manufacturing, you have to buy equipment, lots of it. You need lots
of inventory. You end up with a lot of accounts receivable, which
means a lot of people owe you money. So, when you’re in there, and
you have X number of dollars, lots of dollars invested in assets, it’s
very difficult for somebody or people generally to go in and compete
with you.

Why? It’s too costly"

Don’t go after service and retail businesses. There a dime a dozen & too easy to enter into.

“I have to ask you (Wannabe business buyers)three questions.

First of all, do you have any business experience? Number two, do you
have any management experience? Number three, do you have any
money? Now, if you don’t’ have two of these, you’re screwed.

Additionally, Art Hamel says:

"What are three things I have to have in place in order to value
companies correctly, purchase them, and then operate them towards a
more profitable future... And where can I locate the right people with that
expertise to be on my team?"

"First of all, in every transaction, you’re going to need a CPA, a good
one, and a CPA that understands business. Don’t go to some CPA
that’s working for General Motors. You’ve seen the job that they’ve
done.

What you want is a nice CPA who’s done a lot of work with smaller
businesses, that has experience in that, and has also done audits or
checking on sales of businesses.

You also want an attorney that is used to putting business transactions
together, not somebody that is an expert in law that has to do with
divorces. You want two experts in your court.

Now, the problem is they are the exception rather than the rule. So,
you’re going to have to rely on your attorney, your CPA, and also other
business owners because what’s going to happen is if you’re looking at
electronics manufacturing companies, you’re not going to buy the first
one you run into."

Sounds very complex & time consuming to me.

Gordon, any idea what Sherman considers an Ideal distressed business to acquire as a suitcase business?

Old May 11, 2016, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Dien, I didn't realize you had to be a member.

I've been a member for several years, did not realize the new site required the FREE membership.

Still, it is worth the sign up and doing the survey form. As you remember Dien, I asked you sometime back to save the "Overnight Entrepreneur" page, after speaking with Sherman recently, I believe he is going to post that up, perhaps with some revisions.

If you signed up, let me know, I'll show you a couple of "secret" pages that the members can't see yet. You'll be intrigued.

Imagine the "Overnight Entrepreneur" as an "automated" project, which is why the survey is important to help put the balls in the right slot,

a reference to my PACHINKO machine way many operate, being bounced around and not knowing where they will end up

vs.

An automated "binary matrix" which delivers the ball to the exact slot intended.

As always, your CRYPTIC friend,

Gordon Jaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I clicked on the link, and got an "Error"...

But then I figured it out... You have to join the website (which is free), and be logged in, otherwise you get the "Error" message when you click the link...

By the way, that's a great article!

Worth reading for anyone interested in toll positions and stored value...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 12, 2016, 02:50 AM
ascendedmind

Talking Re: Thanks Dien, I didn't realize you had to be a member.

Gordon or Dien how do I access the article or page "Overnight Entrepreneur"?

I joined both of Sherman's sites. Ealliance.com & SDKHunter.com & I tried the search function with no results. Is it hidden?

Plus I would love to read the secret pages. Please consider sharing this with me.

Quote:
I've been a member for several years, did not realize the new site required the FREE membership.

Still, it is worth the sign up and doing the survey form. As you remember Dien, I asked you sometime back to save the "Overnight Entrepreneur" page, after speaking with Sherman recently, I believe he is going to post that up, perhaps with some revisions.

If you signed up, let me know, I'll show you a couple of "secret" pages that the members can't see yet. You'll be intrigued.

Imagine the "Overnight Entrepreneur" as an "automated" project, which is why the survey is important to help put the balls in the right slot,

a reference to my PACHINKO machine way many operate, being bounced around and not knowing where they will end up

vs.

An automated "binary matrix" which delivers the ball to the exact slot intended.

As always, your CRYPTIC friend,

Gordon Jaye
Old May 12, 2016, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default Just to be clear....

Quote:
Gordon or Dien how do I access the article or page "Overnight Entrepreneur"?

I joined both of Sherman's sites. Ealliance.com & SDKHunter.com & I tried the search function with no results. Is it hidden?

Plus I would love to read the secret pages. Please consider sharing this with me.

To be CRYSTAL CLEAR...

I am NOT an affiliate, have nothing to do with the site...I'm simply reporting on it for those who want to know more about the whole toll position strategy.

I doubt there will ever be a Harvey Brody update or anything new from his camp.

The year of work I did on the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project is locked in a vault, and I don't have permission (nor inclination) to share any of it.

Sherman Hunter told me the site is in transition, so even though we old members had access to the old stuff, this new site is a work in progress.

I did ask Sherman the other day about the report you mentioned, I think (but don't know) it is in revision. The secret site I would show Dien, and that should have been a private conversation, My BAD on that,

they will be open soon enough to the public and the FREE membership.

So, I want to make this perfectly clear, so there is no misunderstanding...

I have nothing to gain by reporting on this site. I do so because some of you have been hoping to see a Harvey Brody thing, but that ship has sailed.

IF you are interested in "Overnight Entrepreneur", or any of Sherman Hunter's stuff, my best advice is to contact his support team. I have nothing to do with it.

And also for the record, it has been 6 years since I posted OTHER resources on licensing, IP rights, and all that. It has been TEN (10) years since I asked Harvey the questions in the QOP report posted above.

So there has been ample time for anyone who has a serious desire to learn this stuff, and plenty of time to have gathered resources and been doing.

I think those who know what they want, and IF that includes a TOLL position will find
Sherman Hunter's

site to be useful.

All questions regarding HIS site, should be directed toward him. I'm a simple reporter letting this group know his site exists.

Gordon
Jay
Alexander
Old May 13, 2016, 04:28 AM
ascendedmind

Default Re: Just to be clear....

Thank you Gordon, I appreciate your candor & appreciation of the toll position concept taught by Harvey Brody.

I was hoping Harvey would have more passion about sharing his business concepts etc.

I'm surprised Sherman has not fully accomplished this yet as both he & Harvey were discussing this over 30 years ago!

Too busy making money with the concepts & not enough time or passion to complete their vision?

Actually I learned just as much from you & Harvey's sales letters about the concepts almost as much what he taught in the course!

Too bad I no longer have his sales letters...

Again I appreciate you & Dien's passion about these concepts.

Btw, Gordon of course you want to share the following:

"The year of work I did on the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project is locked in a vault, and I don't have permission (nor inclination) to share any of it."

...If you didn't then why would you even be inclined to even mention it?

Now you just aroused my curiosity about the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project locked in a vault! Where are the keys?

Quote:
To be CRYSTAL CLEAR...

I am NOT an affiliate, have nothing to do with the site...I'm simply reporting on it for those who want to know more about the whole toll position strategy.

I doubt there will ever be a Harvey Brody update or anything new from his camp.

The year of work I did on the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project is locked in a vault, and I don't have permission (nor inclination) to share any of it.

Sherman Hunter told me the site is in transition, so even though we old members had access to the old stuff, this new site is a work in progress.

I did ask Sherman the other day about the report you mentioned, I think (but don't know) it is in revision. The secret site I would show Dien, and that should have been a private conversation, My BAD on that,

they will be open soon enough to the public and the FREE membership.

So, I want to make this perfectly clear, so there is no misunderstanding...

I have nothing to gain by reporting on this site. I do so because some of you have been hoping to see a Harvey Brody thing, but that ship has sailed.

IF you are interested in "Overnight Entrepreneur", or any of Sherman Hunter's stuff, my best advice is to contact his support team. I have nothing to do with it.

And also for the record, it has been 6 years since I posted OTHER resources on licensing, IP rights, and all that. It has been TEN (10) years since I asked Harvey the questions in the QOP report posted above.

So there has been ample time for anyone who has a serious desire to learn this stuff, and plenty of time to have gathered resources and been doing.

I think those who know what they want, and IF that includes a TOLL position will find
Sherman Hunter's

site to be useful.

All questions regarding HIS site, should be directed toward him. I'm a simple reporter letting this group know his site exists.

Gordon
Jay
Alexander
Old May 13, 2016, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Default The Ben/Harvey project.

Quote:
Thank you Gordon, I appreciate your candor & appreciation of the toll position concept taught by Harvey Brody.

I was hoping Harvey would have more passion about sharing his business concepts etc.

I'm surprised Sherman has not fully accomplished this yet as both he & Harvey were discussing this over 30 years ago!

Well, passion, is a pretty personal thing, isn't it? Sherman's site has been around for years, and for the active members, it fulfilled what he purposed it for. He told me, there were too many INactive, do nothing types (my words, not his)...that it was clogging the place.

Harvey SHARED his business concepts, all those reports are mostly still available, try eBay...and he shared through both myself and Dien. My first response sheds light on one of his most ADVANCED concepts, probably a 7th gear project. A concept he is doing in 2016.

Too busy making money with the concepts & not enough time or passion to complete their vision?

Partly true, no doubt...again, I can't speak to either man's passion and I would say, from my experience here for 15 years and 50 years in the business arena...the VISION of a 35 year old man may not be the same as the vision of a 65 year old. The only vision I'm aware of was their desire to share and make it a better world, both have done this through their works.

Actually I learned just as much from you & Harvey's sales letters about the concepts almost as much what he taught in the course!

EVEN MORE, because those 5th, 6th and 7th gear concepts were barely touched upon, and, of course, technology has changed a great deal in the last 25 years.

Too bad I no longer have his sales letters...

Might try google, I might have seen them in one of those "collector's" swipe file.

Again I appreciate you & Dien's passion about these concepts.

We have applied these concepts in our own lives and businesses, and we both frequently consult our notes, and our audio. Always find a nugget everytime.

Btw, Gordon of course you want to share the following:

"The year of work I did on the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project is locked in a vault, and I don't have permission (nor inclination) to share any of it."

...If you didn't then why would you even be inclined to even mention it?

NO. The reason I did mention it is very simple...it was a HOT topic at the forum for a long time as I shared ongoing reports about what was happening...for me, it was a Milk and Honey project.

I was paid (very well) for the work, that was the milk part...I had a piece of the action when or if it worked...that would have been sweet, the honey, but I give myself credit for at least structuring the deal where I didn't work on spec, and with the PASSION I had for the project, I very well might have. Many members here were following along, and...

were looking forward to the updates from both men. I was and remain disappointed my work was never seen, BUT, I was paid.

I guess Ben has the keys to THAT vault, and after just spending the last year in prison, my understanding today is, he's working on rebuilding his company and my best guess is, doing some heavy thinking about his/its future.

Also, it's not like I haven't answered questions, both here and privately and have shown a willingness to share what I learned...I just avoid saying anything that was covered under the agreement.

And you are right, we can all learn a lot from what they do, and neither man has any hidden away secrets that aren't readily available elsewhere.

Many

Now you just aroused my curiosity about the Ben Suarez/Harvey Brody project locked in a vault! Where are the keys?

Many librarians, collectors and vicarious thrill seekers visit here, the Warrior Forum and other places. They get a high of sorts from the knowledge.

They KNOW.

But they don't do.

You can find them here, at other forums, blogs and Facebook groups. We might think of them as groupies. The men have their man caves, where books and video and notebooks sit upon their shelves...sometimes representing thousands of dollars spent...

they can talk about Abraham, Kennedy, Halbert...or the old masters, or the online gurus because they bought the courses. They usually have a favorite, they are fan boys.

But they don't do.

And over the last 15 years, we have shared as much information here as anywhere on the internet, and have shed light on concepts, strategies, and methods which have been tested and proven.

We have given away tons and boatloads of information, as has the participating members.

We long ago realized a huge percent of all people do NOT do.

I can name 10 people off the top of my head who have both Cossman and Brody material....and have never sent a single letter to a company or person seeking STORED VALUE. They KNOW about Toll Positions.

They do not DO.

Harvey Brody became a favorite subject here because he responded to a post we made early on in the SowPub project. I got one of the original courses back in the 70s, and actually applied some of his concepts.

But he is just ONE man with the "perfect" business for him. I've spent a lifetime around scores of people who were DOING their perfect businesses.

There is no one size fits all. It is good to learn and study...

but it is better to apply.

IF Sherman Hunter (or anyone) is only going to be part of someone's library...then what he is doing today, probably is going to be a waste of time for that person.

Gordon Jay Alexander