SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 8, 2002, 10:09 AM
mitch

Default OK, Here's my Script...What do You Think?

Gordon and Readers,

OK, here's my new script. I originally asked for input on a headline for a sales letter. Gordon graciously provided input and I got so excited about the potential I developed a phone script instead.

You see i've always been afraid of cold calling and using the phone so it's time to bite the bullet and grow up. With Gordon's input I somehow gained confidence and don't want to waste time, paper and stamps. So instead i'll just call on local businesses in my area directly.

Here's the plan. Dun & Bradstreet list thousands of potential businesses in my area with their owners/presidents, sales volume, # of employees, competition, etc. Per Gordon's instructions I will use this info to make my call to the owner/president. Below is my script. Please provide your inputs.

Gordon, once again, thanks.

“Mr. Smith,

My name is Mitch Austin, we have never met but I’m the president of the Leadership Management Institute here in Palm Beach County.

I know your busy so I’ll make this brief.

I was just reading about local companies in Dunn & Bradstreet and noticed that you and your 75 employees at Omni Products had gross sales of $10,000,000 last year. On a productivity basis that’s $133,333 of productivity per employee. That’s quite an accomplishment in today’s competitive office equipment sales environment. And it truly exemplifies the type of leadership we here at Leadership Management applaud.

Mr. Smith let me ask you a question. Imagine for a moment, if you could add 20% more, well trained employees to your staff at NO cost. Do you think your company’s productivity and profits would go up?

Of course it would. But Mr. Smith, you don’t have to add anyone because over the last 35 years we have found that each of your current employees is worth at least 20% more productivity than they are currently producing.

In fact some of your top competitors have productivity per employee ratios as high as $247,000 per employee. That’s 85% higher than yours. Mr. Smith, would you like to know what they are doing and how you can use that same leverage to increase your productivity and profits?

I’ll be in your area next week so I’ll stop by for about 20 minutes and we’ll talk. I have Tuesday at 3PM available. See you then.”
Old February 8, 2002, 10:41 AM
elizabeth aqui-seto

Default I like it very much

Mitch, I'm no marketing expert, but your script sounds like one that I would feel very comfortable using if I were making a cold call to market my services.

My only concern would be the last para.

> I’ll be in your area next week so I’ll stop
> by for about 20 minutes and we’ll talk. I
> have Tuesday at 3PM available. See you
> then.”

If I were using this script, I would ask Mr. Smith's permission and confirm the time of the meeting. Again, you can tell, I'm no salesperson and this is MY approach. Also, this is only a base for keeping focused during your cold call. Smith could well say "are you free tomorrow at 2pm. Come on over!!"

Mitch, I haven't taken the time to get caught up on all the posts in the last several months, but I am curious to know more about the courses you provide at the Leadership Management Institute. Perhaps an email offline, if you prefer, might be appropriate?? You decide.

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2002, 11:17 AM
Mike Rodman

Default Everyone else uses it... So why be different???

Mitch ~

Your "script" is way too long. I would assume "Mr. Smith" is already aware of the information your regurgitating to him. My take is you're "selling" to him over the phone and it wreaks of a generic telemarketer's script.

Your last line is the best line.. "I'll be in your area next week so I'll stop by for about 20 minutes and we'll talk. I have Tuesday at 3PM available. See you then.”

When using the telephone to acquire appointments, all we are doing is securing the date and time. Nothing else. Be respectful to the business owners time. Be brief. Be polite. And separate yourself from the dozens of other people calling on the telephone. Your script is like everyone else's. So it will produce results much like everyone else's.

Develop an "Opening Statement" for yourself. Offer three distinct benefits others in his industry are experiencing with your services. Then let him know he may not qualify for your products or services and it will only take 15-20 minutes to see if he DOES qualify.

When I cold call, I can accomplish dozens of calls within a short time and not "sell" anything over the phone. All I am doing is acquiring a date and time to get myself in front of the prospect.

Unless you are attempting something other than making an appointment with Mr. Smith... I would shorten your script considerably. Opening Statement --> 3 Distinct Benefits --> May or May Not Qualify --> I will be in your area on ______ It will only take 15-20 minutes to see IF you do qualify. Fair enough???

You can receive this technique in a .pdf file if you like at the link below. Best of luck to you Mitch.

Success and Regards... Mike

http://www.CrashCourseMarketing.com
...The fastest growing eZine for Sales
Professionals and Internet Marketers...
Old February 8, 2002, 02:41 PM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Everyone else uses it... So why be different???

Mike -

> Your last line is the best line..
> "I'll be in your area next week so I'll
> stop by for about 20 minutes and we'll talk.
> I have Tuesday at 3PM available. See you
> then.”

Wouldn't the "alternate choice close" work better here? Something like...

"I have Tuesday at 3 PM available or would Wednesday at 5 PM be better for you?"

As you said, all you're trying to do is secure the appointment. But with the close I've suggested, he might still get the appointment with Mr. Smith if the Tuesday slot won't work.

Could this close be combined with your "fair enough" technique?

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Click Here to Discover How to Create a Great New Life for Yourself In Just 10 Days!
Old February 8, 2002, 03:00 PM
Mike Rodman

Default You're right Rick...

Rick ~

Correct. The A/B close is standard and many businesses are aware of it since it's been used so long. It *would* be better for Mitch to utilize it in his last line, rather then the *forced" date. I pointed the particular line out, as the best line in the script he posted.

My "Time to Visit Close" adds one buffer step. After stating I'm going to be in there area or town within the next couple of weeks, I allow them to pick the date initally.

I only use the Thursday at 4 in the afternoon, or Friday at 10 in the morning choice (A/B Close), if they can't seem to make the decision on their own.

Generally speaking, if the person you are seeing is busy enough, they'll tell you when you can see them.

If they have all the time in the World... I begin to wonder why... LOL

Success and Regards... Mike

http://www.CrashCourseMarketing.com
...The fastest growing eZine for Sales
Professionals and Internet Marketers...
Old February 8, 2002, 08:16 PM
Raymond

Default Re: OK, Here's my Script...What do You Think?

Mitch ...

"That dog would not hunt here."

Granted! I'm not an expert. But, regardless of who's sitting in the decision making chair these days, (time is money). If you cannot print your pitch on a post card, like so many others I have this blue can that sits by MY desk.

If you've got something to say, then say it.

"Don't eat my lunch, and then ask me to hire you."

Raymond

P/S: And if you're planing on telephoning, what makes you think you're going to get to the owner/president? (heck, that's my job here to say who talks to the owner). She's busy you know.

RC
-----------------------------------------

> Gordon and Readers,

> OK, here's my new script. I originally asked
> for input on a headline for a sales letter.
> Gordon graciously provided input and I got
> so excited about the potential I developed a
> phone script instead.

> You see i've always been afraid of cold
> calling and using the phone so it's time to
> bite the bullet and grow up. With Gordon's
> input I somehow gained confidence and don't
> want to waste time, paper and stamps. So
> instead i'll just call on local businesses
> in my area directly.

> Here's the plan. Dun & Bradstreet list
> thousands of potential businesses in my area
> with their owners/presidents, sales volume,
> # of employees, competition, etc. Per
> Gordon's instructions I will use this info
> to make my call to the owner/president.
> Below is my script. Please provide your
> inputs.

> Gordon, once again, thanks.

> “Mr. Smith,

> My name is Mitch Austin, we have never met
> but I’m the president of the Leadership
> Management Institute here in Palm Beach
> County.

> I know your busy so I’ll make this brief.

> I was just reading about local companies in
> Dunn & Bradstreet and noticed that you
> and your 75 employees at Omni Products had
> gross sales of $10,000,000 last year. On a
> productivity basis that’s $133,333 of
> productivity per employee. That’s quite an
> accomplishment in today’s competitive office
> equipment sales environment. And it truly
> exemplifies the type of leadership we here
> at Leadership Management applaud.

> Mr. Smith let me ask you a question. Imagine
> for a moment, if you could add 20% more,
> well trained employees to your staff at NO
> cost. Do you think your company’s
> productivity and profits would go up?

> Of course it would. But Mr. Smith, you don’t
> have to add anyone because over the last 35
> years we have found that each of your
> current employees is worth at least 20% more
> productivity than they are currently
> producing.

> In fact some of your top competitors have
> productivity per employee ratios as high as
> $247,000 per employee. That’s 85% higher
> than yours. Mr. Smith, would you like to
> know what they are doing and how you can use
> that same leverage to increase your
> productivity and profits?

> I’ll be in your area next week so I’ll stop
> by for about 20 minutes and we’ll talk. I
> have Tuesday at 3PM available. See you
> then.”
Old February 8, 2002, 08:21 PM
Stan

Default Don't read this if you are easily offended

Mitch,

In a word, your phone script sucks. I don't want to anger or hurt you, as I can see that you put a lot of time and effort into it, but I can clearly tell that you are new to this.

I am a former telemarketing warrior who has made over 100,000 phone calls. I have worked at several of the 'boiler-room' joints and have also done a ton of cold-calling in real estate. Your script is similar to those annoying phone calls you receive when you are busy stuffing your face with your dinner. I guarantee that you will not get past the first paragraph with 95% of your phone calls.

The trick to cold-calling is to not talk AT the person, but WITH them. Your script is a good example of what I call 'verbally-puking', which most of those dinner-time calls are. (Also, realize that most of those so-called telemarketers have been at their job less than 2 months... most quit within 8 weeks.)

Instead, ask open-ended questions. Always remember that the person who asks the question is the person who is in charge of the conversation. Your list of questions should naturally flow from one point to the next and lead to a close.

For example, here is my script when I was cold-calling in real estate:

Hello Mr. Jones, this is Stan with Re/Max.

When do you folks plan on moving?
How long have you lived at this address?
Where did you folks move from?
How did you happen to pick this area?
If you WERE to move, where would you go next?
When would that be?
You do realize that it could take 6-9 months to get a home sold in this market sometimes, so my next question to you is, do you want to be gone in 6 months, or just getting started?
How about I come by and take a look at your property. Would Thursday at 7 work, or would Friday at 8 be better for you?

You'll notice that all questions are open-ended... they can't say 'no'. It leads them to talk about their situation and creates an opening for you to plug your product or service. Also, realize that they are doing the majority of the talking, and they will like you MORE because they were able to talk about themselves and their situation (it's an ego thing... everyone loves to talk about themselves).

I realize that cold-calling can be a daunting task. I always found that making the first call of the day was always the hardest one to make, but once I started, I could get on a roll.

I am getting rather lengthy here, but I have a few additional pieces of advice:
1. Just because the person on the other end of the phone can't see you doesn't mean that they can't hear you frown. Make sure to smile... it can be heard.
2. Try making calls standing up. After all, if you are making a presentation in the boardroom, you'd be standing.
3. This one is related to #2... get a headset so that you can use your hands to talk. Your body language controls your tonality.
4. Know your script inside and out, backwards and forwards. If you are trying to remember what to say, you cannot concentrate on your tonality. Even worse, if you are reading your script, the person on the other end can hear it... they'll think that you don't know what you are talking about. A good way to memorize is what I call the 'Jack Nicholson' method. Jack makes over 20 mil a movie, so I think we can learn something from him. When Jack gets a script, he reads it out loud as fast as he can 10 times in a row. Try it, it works.

Sorry for the long post, but I have studied the art of cold-calling, and I want to see you succeed.

Best of luck,
Stan

Local Emarketing
Old February 8, 2002, 08:38 PM
mitch

Raymond,

Good points. So if i'm hearing you right (my exwife says I can't hear sometimes) you saying be very blunt and to the point. Straight one liner questions such as

"Mr. Smith, would a 20% increase in your employee's productivity, in your case a potential $2,000,000 annual increase in sales, be of interest to you?"

are the way to go. Correct? Can you give an example?

Also, as gatekeeper to the owner what would you do to get through to them?

> Mitch ...

> "That dog would not hunt here."

> Granted! I'm not an expert. But, regardless
> of who's sitting in the decision making
> chair these days, (time is money). If you
> cannot print your pitch on a post card, like
> so many others I have this blue can that
> sits by MY desk.

> If you've got something to say, then say it.

> "Don't eat my lunch, and then ask me to
> hire you."

> Raymond

> P/S: And if you're planing on telephoning,
> what makes you think you're going to get to
> the owner/president? (heck, that's my job
> here to say who talks to the owner). She's
> busy you know.

> RC
> -----------------------------------------
Old February 8, 2002, 09:04 PM
Stan

Mitch,

> "Mr. Smith, would a 20% increase in
> your employee's productivity, in your case a
> potential $2,000,000 annual increase in
> sales, be of interest to you?"

Your on the right track, but your question is closed-ended... Mr. Smith can answer with a blunt "no" and hang up on you. Try this instead:

Mr. Smith, HOW WOULD a 20% increase in your employees' productivity interest you?
Old February 8, 2002, 09:09 PM
mitch

Default Re: Don't read this if you are easily offended

Stan,

Don't worry, no offense taken. In fact I like your honesty. From your script shown below you seem to have a series of questions vs. a simple, straight to the point question.

In my case I want to know one thing, is the owner interested in increasing his productivity and profits. If the answer is yes then I ask for a 20 min. appointment. If not I say thank you very much.

In your opinion is asking a simple yes/no question concerning his interest in increasing productivity a good question to ask right up front? For example in the above post I use the example of "are you interested in a potential 20% increase in productivity, in your case thats a $2,000,000 potential increase in annual sales?"
(Could you give an example of a productivity type question you would ask upfront concerning this?)
If the answer is yes should I be asking more open ended questions or just go for the appointment.

I apologize if the questions seem elementary but i'm like a sponge and want to learn all I can from the pros.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

> Mitch,

> In a word, your phone script sucks. I don't
> want to anger or hurt you, as I can see that
> you put a lot of time and effort into it,
> but I can clearly tell that you are new to
> this.

> I am a former telemarketing warrior who has
> made over 100,000 phone calls. I have worked
> at several of the 'boiler-room' joints and
> have also done a ton of cold-calling in real
> estate. Your script is similar to those
> annoying phone calls you receive when you
> are busy stuffing your face with your
> dinner. I guarantee that you will not get
> past the first paragraph with 95% of your
> phone calls.

> The trick to cold-calling is to not talk AT
> the person, but WITH them. Your script is a
> good example of what I call
> 'verbally-puking', which most of those
> dinner-time calls are. (Also, realize that
> most of those so-called telemarketers have
> been at their job less than 2 months... most
> quit within 8 weeks.)

> Instead, ask open-ended questions. Always
> remember that the person who asks the
> question is the person who is in charge of
> the conversation. Your list of questions
> should naturally flow from one point to the
> next and lead to a close.

> For example, here is my script when I was
> cold-calling in real estate:

> Hello Mr. Jones, this is Stan with Re/Max.

> When do you folks plan on moving?
> How long have you lived at this address?
> Where did you folks move from?
> How did you happen to pick this area?
> If you WERE to move, where would you go
> next?
> When would that be?
> You do realize that it could take 6-9 months
> to get a home sold in this market sometimes,
> so my next question to you is, do you want
> to be gone in 6 months, or just getting
> started?
> How about I come by and take a look at your
> property. Would Thursday at 7 work, or would