SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 7, 2019, 01:58 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,757
Default Priceless. The super powerful MAGNET beneath the table.

You used a Harvey Brody technique. The superpowerful method:

Call me when you are between a rock and a hard place, but,
make sure you have money available when you call.

The ability to say NO, is as powerful a method as there is.

NO, I don't want your business. NO, I don't like the terms. NO, this deal isn't for me.

YES, I have the solution to YOUR problem, but NO, you don't get it today.

Great story, Thanks Glenn.

GordonJ




Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Gordon,

We gotta Figure out how to set up a Harvey Brodie
Toll Gate Situation.

Ethically set up systematic situation
where People buy simply because Their Ego is involved.

EXAMPLE I - The video Guy would LOOK bad on his own video
if he didn't Fork over some Cash to the Homeless guy.

Example II - below.

MULTI-M*Illionaire TIGHTWAD - Gary got himself into a situation where his NEW RADIO Salespeople were
looking to Him to Supply a Genius S*Ales Script at a Trade Show in
24 hrs.

I had such a B*illion D*ollar S*ales Script - which Is So Simple
Gary could LEARN it in an hr.

Then TEACH IT and Take all the Credit to a few dozen of his untrained
Radio Station team members.

So rather that BE EMBARRASSED - Gary Forked over the Cash.

Thanks,
Glenn

From my Big Brass Ones Post...

MY ANSWER - "Ha ha! I remember you. You TIGHTWAD M*illionaire You. Email me back at [email protected] - WHEN YOU ARE DESPERATE. And instead of 30,000.00 That Clients Pay. For Only 5 Grand I'll walk you thru 2 Scripts that Grossed more than 2 B*illion and Built and s*old 4 Companies for my mentor Walter Hailey - that He never wrote down Anywhere - but I Paid 44,000 SMACKERS for. 4 Question NLP Hot Button Script. And 3-Step Invisible Trial Close Script. (And 6 Months later Gary Did P*A*Y. He Was Btwn a Rock and a Hard Place - had to train his team to get leads at a Radio Trade Show.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 9, 2019, 08:17 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,747
Default My theory of humor... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I think I am more quick witted than funny, and that doesn't always play well in some areas. Sometimes it comes across as "smart ass" and you know the old saying...Everyone likes..........but no one etc., etc.

I'll stick to performing my art on this and other forums. Now don't tell me writing isn't an art. I consider forum posts as PERFORMANCE ART.
Hi Gordon,

My wife (who you've met) is quite quick-witted. But not everyone appreciates it...

That's because her razor-sharp wit can sometimes be quite "cutting"!

People who are a little bit pompous tend not to like having their balloon pricked...

But, the humble types usually love it... and enjoy contesting with her in a battle of wits!

So, she is a bit cautious about who she shares her humor with - until she knows them a little better. Not everyone reacts positively!

So, of course, not all humor works with everyone...

I've been studying humor...

There's usually surprise, with any kind of humor! Something unexpected!

One thought I've come to recently is I think there's usually some empathy...

It could be empathy for the "victim" of the joke, or empathy for the person doing the complaining (sometimes both are the same)... It can even be empathy for yourself, if you're the butt of the joke yourself!

But I do feel humor works best when there is some empathy happening somewhere at some level...

For example, the homeless sign guy's (hilarious) sign, "My EX got the Mansion & Mercedes" - we empathize with the poor guy whose wife got his super-wealth! (Which is also a crazy surprise!)

Best wishes,

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 9, 2019, 08:35 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,747
Default "Here's to the crazy ones..." (Apple ad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Gordon,

We gotta Figure out how to set up a Harvey Brodie
Toll Gate Situation.

Ethically set up systematic situation
where People buy simply because Their Ego is involved.

EXAMPLE I - The video Guy would LOOK bad on his own video
if he didn't Fork over some Cash to the Homeless guy.

Example II - below.

MULTI-M*Illionaire TIGHTWAD - Gary got himself into a situation where his NEW RADIO Salespeople were
looking to Him to Supply a Genius S*Ales Script at a Trade Show in
24 hrs.

I had such a B*illion D*ollar S*ales Script - which Is So Simple
Gary could LEARN it in an hr.

Then TEACH IT and Take all the Credit to a few dozen of his untrained
Radio Station team members.

So rather that BE EMBARRASSED - Gary Forked over the Cash.

Thanks,
Glenn
Hi Glenn and Gordon,

Denny Hatch, following in the footsteps of the late highly successful direct marketer Axel Andersson, identified "flattery" as one of the key reasons people buy...

Flattery works in that people feel flattered - they feel special - if they buy the product.

Apple's early iPod and iPhone ads used flattery - thanks to the ads, people who bought the products felt special and cool...

Even Apple's 1997 ad, "Here's to the crazy ones"... I would say used flattery.

Its message was, if you buy an Apple computer, you are like these genius rebels in the ad (like Einstein, Martin Luther King, John Lennon, and so on)!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjgtLSHhTPg

Flattery is not identical I think to what Glenn is saying - but it is related to it, I think...

People feel like they are not bad people - more like they are good, and will look good in front of others - if they "buy"!

Best wishes!

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 9, 2019, 08:42 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,747
Default The "walk away" tactic when bargaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
You used a Harvey Brody technique. The superpowerful method:

Call me when you are between a rock and a hard place, but,
make sure you have money available when you call.

The ability to say NO, is as powerful a method as there is.

NO, I don't want your business. NO, I don't like the terms. NO, this deal isn't for me.

YES, I have the solution to YOUR problem, but NO, you don't get it today.
Hi Gordon,

Some cultures have bargaining as a pervasive part of the culture... Bargaining is an everyday thing!

(In contrast, in the West, many of us don't have much experience in bargaining... As a result, we're not as good at it!)

One of the key tactics in bargaining (as you would know) is the "walk away" tactic... "Nah, I'm not that interested. I'm walking away..."

Sometimes, when this happens, the seller will say - "Wait! Come back! I'll give it to you for a lower price!"

They don't want to lose the sale!

The "walk away" is the same as the "No" tactic... and it can be very powerful!

Of course, if you walk away and the seller doesn't call you back... You can always return later...

Best wishes,

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 16, 2019, 06:07 PM
Glenn Glenn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 936
Default Homeless Guy Idea Adapted for TEXAS Non-Profit

Thanks Gordon,

Thank you for sharing the Homeless Guy Video.

I was recently able to ADAPT an idea from That Homeless Man
for a Non-Profit in Texas.

Glenn

=========
=========
How do you get people to come to a first-time public fundraising event?


​Dear Meshelle,

​Great Question.

​Did you know that The 1st B*illionaire - Andrew Carnegie - as a boy had a similar problem with his RABBITS?

​His pet rabbits kept having babies.

​And it was Taking ALL of his time to cut Grass for all of his rabbits.

​So he called all his friends and Told them He would Put THEIR NAME
​over a Rabbit (in their hutch) if They would help feed their rabbit.

​AND VOILA!

​Like Magic.

​Suddenly His Friends came over - after school to Cut Grass, Feed And Play With THEIR RABBIT!

​=========
​=========
​You may ask, "How Does This WABBIT FEEDING Story help Me?

​Well.

​#1 - You are Not Answering the "WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME"? - FundRaising Question.

You are Saying, "If You Come to my FundRaising Event You Will be Asked to COUGH UP a Lot of munny.
​And get Nothing in Return.

​#2 - Just Suppose You Write letters to The Mayor, The Local Judge, The Fire and Police Chief,
​Superintendent of Schools - And attach a PHOTO of one of your Horses - with THEIR NAME OVER it's
​Stall.

​The Letter ASKS THEIR PERMISSION to Name one of your KIDS CARE Horses After THEM.

​#3 - Many will say, "Yes." Because they WANT to support a Good Cause. And Because of all of The F-r-ee,
​Positive Publicity they will get.

​#4 - BECAUSE you TELL THEM Your Plans to Call and Invite All of the TV and Radio Station Reporters to Your Non-Profit HORSE PARTY.

​#5 - And Call and Invite DRIVE-TIME Radio DJ's (Who are DESPERATE for Something Different) to Call and INTERVIEW the Various Politicians, Judges, TV Hosts, weather women and others WHO HAVE GOT Horses Named after them.

​==============
​==============
​ON LIVE RADIO - You Ask each person if they will Donate some munny to :
​A - B*UY a Permanent Name Tag to Put over their Horses Stall.
​B - Purchase Horse feed and hay and Straw.
​C - And Sponsor at least ONE KID - who will come and Ride THEIR HORSE. And Receive Lessons.

​IN RETURN - Each SPONSOR Gets a Steady Stream of Photos
​and Thank you Notes from Both Children and parents.

​Which their MEDIA DEPT can use to Get Them RE-Elected, or to push up TV or Radio Show Ratings.

​SEE?

​Win - Win.

​Thanks,
​Glenn Osborn
​Millionaire Mastermind Marketing Association

​P.S. - You Will Be THINKING Like a More RECENT B*illionaire too - if You Use This Idea.

​Did you Know that Ted Turner Bought a Worthless TV Station? "Worthless" because
​it's Legal Signal only went about 2 Miles.

​But TED - Went to The offices of Congressmen and Senators and SAID, "Is it OK to run a wire into your
​Office and Set up a Camera? So You can Get On My TV Station News Whenever You Want to? I'll do everything. No work or expense for You."

​SEE?

"​WiiForYou" Thinking.

​AND GUESS How all these Politicians VOTED when it came time to VOTE on a Bill to ISSUE Ted Turner a Permit to EXTEND His TV Stations Bandwidth and Distance out to a 1000 Miles?

​THEY VOTED "YES".

​Their "YES" votes Turned Ted's TV Station from WORTHLESS to MEGA-BUCKS Valuable.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 30, 2019, 07:04 PM
Fishman Fishman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 91
Default Re: The franchise for the homeless guy...signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

The "sign guy"...too funny! Had to share my latest experience...yesterday, saw a guy holding a sign who looked like he could use way more than a handout, but he was straight up honest with his sign and it read...."just need cigarettes"....I could not stop laughing because of the honesty he used. You have to respect him for being so honest....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 31, 2019, 05:57 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,747
Default A real life story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
The "sign guy"...too funny! Had to share my latest experience...yesterday, saw a guy holding a sign who looked like he could use way more than a handout, but he was straight up honest with his sign and it read...."just need cigarettes"....I could not stop laughing because of the honesty he used. You have to respect him for being so honest....
Around 25 years ago, I was living in Berkeley (near San Francisco) - I was visiting for six months, as a postgrad student...

Anyway, I came across a homeless guy, who was having a philosophical conversation with some people. It was clear to me, he was quite bright...

I listened in, and was impressed. Afterwards, I dug around in my wallet, and gave him what (for me at the time, as a student) was a substantial amount of money...

He was grateful, and he said come with me, so I followed him.

First we went to a place where he bought a bottle of alcohol. Then he went and found a friend of his, and gave him some of the money I had given to him (I think repaying back a loan)...

Then we got some pizza.

The impression I got was, this was not a dumb guy. But sadly, he was an alcoholic. If he could get over his alcoholism, I felt he would be probably reasonably successful in life...

I never saw him again after that night. I hope he did okay.

I feel not all homeless people are like the stereotype... I don't know all the answers, but no doubt some have the capability to get out of their situation, and get back on their feet - and there can be hope...

Just felt like sharing!

Best wishes,

Dien
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 31, 2019, 01:30 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,757
Default The successful bum at the mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Around 25 years ago, I was living in Berkeley (near San Francisco) - I was visiting for six months, as a postgrad student...

Anyway, I came across a homeless guy, who was having a philosophical conversation with some people. It was clear to me, he was quite bright...

I listened in, and was impressed. Afterwards, I dug around in my wallet, and gave him what (for me at the time, as a student) was a substantial amount of money...

He was grateful, and he said come with me, so I followed him.

First we went to a place where he bought a bottle of alcohol. Then he went and found a friend of his, and gave him some of the money I had given to him (I think repaying back a loan)...

Then we got some pizza.

The impression I got was, this was not a dumb guy. But sadly, he was an alcoholic. If he could get over his alcoholism, I felt he would be probably reasonably successful in life...

I never saw him again after that night. I hope he did okay.

I feel not all homeless people are like the stereotype... I don't know all the answers, but no doubt some have the capability to get out of their situation, and get back on their feet - and there can be hope...

Just felt like sharing!

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien,

Let me further open up this can of worms, OK? Because you have some things we should consider.

First, your hope that he is OK.

OK means what? Now not picking on just you, but we all have our own ideas about what is SUCCESS.

And I might (well, actually am) argue he was a success at what he did.

That made without judgement. And there is the rub.

Is the poor guy living in public housing, collecting food stamps and buying cheap beer more successful than this BUM?

Which then, by comparison ladders, means the middle class guy, the upper class guy (by income measurements) and the TRUMP like guys are the WINNERS.

The billionaires are the top of the pyramid, the eagles nest on the mountaintop of human achievement. So Bezos, Trump and Zuckerberg, are the beacons of hope on the shores of success while the rest of the world floats in ocean of despair.

Of course, the Mother Theresa types exist, those of self sacrifice and service to humanity, but then, our take on that is also an exercise in judgement, is it not?

Those who see the short video of the sign guy may take it at face value, lacking any concept or understanding of the intent and purpose. And may even feel sympathy for his plight and they, like you, would do what The BOZ did and offer up a moment of refreshment.

If you had encountered Russell Thomas on the streets of San Francisco, mid 70's, you would have taken him for a bum too. He came from a wealthy family and gave that up during his quest for a more truthful life, to him.

Alcohol, drugs, religion and money are the addictions we've created to deal with the harshness and realities of life.

But is an addiction to being rich ala TRUMP any less destructive than the guy with a pint of Pagan pink in his pocket in the back alley?

Bums are bums. And some of them are very successful at being bums, be it from a White House or from the sidewalks and skid rows of modern America.

I think the man you encountered is OK, perhaps we should worry more about the bums in charge, eh?

Gordon

PS Yes, aware of the judgement made. It is in our nature to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 4, 2019, 02:46 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is online now
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,747
Default What is success, grasshopper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Alcohol, drugs, religion and money are the addictions we've created to deal with the harshness and realities of life.

But is an addiction to being rich ala TRUMP any less destructive than the guy with a pint of Pagan pink in his pocket in the back alley?

Bums are bums. And some of them are very successful at being bums, be it from a White House or from the sidewalks and skid rows of modern America.
Hi Gordon,

I have what might be an unusual point of view...

What is success?

I don't think wealth (in and of itself) is necessarily success... Because some wealthy people could be very miserable.

Also, there isn't just one measure of success...

Traveling the world, being in a new country every month, for some people is the ultimate success! (For some, it's the "perpetual traveler" lifestyle... For others it could come from being a kind of travel journalist, there are an increasing number of them now on YouTube, who live off of their YouTube earnings... Here's one such person I sometimes watch - Gabriel Traveler - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgZ...STDS0l6f_QnrXw )

For others, it would be their biggest nightmare! Some people like knowing where all the things they want are... Transplant them to a new city, and they have to find all those places again!

(I'm the traveling type - I love it. I love jumping into new locations where I can explore... A very good friend of mine is the opposite, he hates it! We both live in Melbourne, Australia. Only once in his life did my friend travel outside of Melbourne - to another Australian city, called Brisbane, for about a week, for a film festival he was participating in... And for him, it was a nightmare. He didn't know where to go to get the things he wanted!)

So, what "success" means is different from one person to another...

I think a person can be happy as long as his or her basic needs are covered (food, shelter, healthcare...) Once your basic needs are covered, I think the rest comes from your own attitude...

Not sure where this was leading, but I guess it led here...

Best wishes,

Dien
__________________

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 4, 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | The Art of Leverage | The Success Report | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine) | The Fly Low Collect Dough Update Hotline

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.