SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 27, 2017, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default Is "RELENTLESS" effort required?

From a frustrated 40 something guy in my email inbox:

He's tried several things, yet keeps spinning his wheels, he says if IT (I guess succesns or financial freedom??) requires

RELENTLESS effort,

he may not be up for the task and maybe give up.

My reply. I don't know.

My OPINION is, most people can't stick to a one year short term goal. It has been a decade since I adopted the Harvey Brody "VIEW FROM THE ROOFTOP" and backward chaining down the ladder approach. Yet scores of people have started, very few ever reach that year as they first imagined. Why?

Things happen. Recently, two guys moved and got new jobs, that type of thing slows people down. As does falling in or out of love. Getting sidetracked with emergencies, always putting out fires, crisis mode.

But I think persistence plays a role. Even more important are quick results.

See, the thing is, about BIG goals and the HUGE thinking is, it can become a grind and people lose site of the WHY they are doing what they do. Too many think there is a destination, a castle on top of the hill, where once they get too, all is well and they live happily ever after.

I like to get people some fast, quick results, especially if they are selling something, get something for sale quickly, build your list and solve your problems in the direction of your goals.

But being "relentless"? I don't know, I like consistency, continuous effort which builds on continuous results. But one guy's relentlessness might be a bit much for me.

How about you? Are you RELENTLESS?

GordonJ
Old September 29, 2017, 07:42 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I do believe persistence is often required... Here's why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
But I think persistence plays a role. Even more important are quick results.

See, the thing is, about BIG goals and the HUGE thinking is, it can become a grind and people lose site of the WHY they are doing what they do. Too many think there is a destination, a castle on top of the hill, where once they get too, all is well and they live happily ever after.

I like to get people some fast, quick results, especially if they are selling something, get something for sale quickly, build your list and solve your problems in the direction of your goals.

But being "relentless"? I don't know, I like consistency, continuous effort which builds on continuous results. But one guy's relentlessness might be a bit much for me.

How about you? Are you RELENTLESS?
Hi Gordon,

I do believe persistence plays a role. That's because there's a lot of learning involved. It's even more true of you're a solo entrepreneur! (As opposed to being one in a team...)

Why is it more true? Because as a solo entrepreneur, you have to do it all... You have to learn how to sell, you may need to learn any required specific skills for that business, you may need to learn technical skills, how to deal with suppliers, need to learn customer service, need to learn how to keep track of your income and expenses, and so on...

There's a lot to learn... It's guaranteed you'll make mistakes. (That's often the fastest way to learn!)

I think that's why (in some ways) it's actually easier to start a business as part of a team. It could be a small team, of two or three. Because that way, you can divide the work, and the required skills, among yourselves.

For example, I have a friend who started a business with two others. Their business is a kind of online marketing and branding business.

* My friend is a trained graphics designer, and is a bit of a branding expert.
* Another guy does all the technical stuff relating to creating websites.
* The third guy in the business does nothing except for keeping track of the accounts, including following up any clients with unpaid bills.

This way, my friend, for example, needs to know nothing about keeping track of income and expenses, or profits and losses, as he has nothing to do with that. One of his two partners does that job. You don't have that luxury with a solo operation.

Of course, partnerships can bring their own problems! It's all too common that people get cheated by their business partners.

Anyway, getting back to the point... It's important to recognize that there is a lot to learn. The first skill you need, I believe, is sales and marketing skills. With just sales and marketing skills, you can start a business, by being a sales rep, or by making sales and getting paid affiliate commissions.

If you're the only person in the business, there are at least 3 sets of skills you need to learn...

* How to sell and market your product or service
* How to keep track of income and expenses, profits and losses (to make sure you're making more money than you spend)!
* Any skills and qualifications specific to that business. (For example, if you're running a solo hairdressing business, you need to know how to cut hair. In some places, being a hairdresser also needs certification.)

Which reminds me of a story... Many years ago, I remember seeing a sign... $5 haircuts. Wow, ridiculously cheap!

Then I ran into a friend, and mentioned the $5 haircuts. He said he had gotten the $5 haircut... And one side was longer than the other! He had to get another haircut (at another place) to fix it!

I guess sometimes you get what you pay for...

(Though I'm sure there are some good $5 haircuts around!)

Best wishes,

Dien