SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Why You Need To Keep Friday Night - or Saturday Night - Free. Plus other "News"...

Thanks for opening this message. I think you'll find it... rewarding.

There is something Big happening on Friday night - or it might be Saturday night, hasn't been firmly set yet. And I believe it is a FIRST for the online business/marketing type crowd.

So Big is this First, that I am reluctant to out and out name it here. Because there are Those who would like nothing more than to Steal the fire. And maybe try to be the First themselves. So for the moment, all I can say is... it's a Sowpub Exclusive and a First - and 100% Free. And it's on Friday or Saturday night - that is the 4th or 5th of January 2008.

As it is on one of those nights, and your observance of this First would be appreciated at the time of its occurrence, I need to ask... which evening is better for you? When do you have some Free time - Friday night or Saturday night?

More details about the First as the time draws near.

In other news...

We have some upcoming announcements - yes, I am announcing the announcements HA! So stayed tuned for those - no they have nothing to do with marketing tests.

But speaking of those. I trust you all participated in the recent test and got to experience First Hand what a large and successful company does that make it large and successful. That's experience/knowledge you just cannot buy.

It reminds me of how Pizza Hut USED to test down here in Australia. Any Promotions or Marketing Ploys designed to Get Bums On Seats, was First tested in Rural Towns, where they had outlets. This enabled Small Scale Testing to be carried out Without much Expense.

If their Marketing Ploy was successful in one town they Tested it in another town. Multiple Success saw them Then roll out the campaign. They rolled After they knew they had a Winner.

Now a days, however, their roll out is their test. If it flops, they make adjustments. That it cost a Lot to do this doesn't seem to matter any more.

Personally, I think the decline of Pizza Hut in Australia is due to them trying to Compete with the Jiffy Pizza Shops like Dominos.

Pizza Hut USED to be less brightly lit. And had more of a Going Out To A Restaurant feel. But they changed. Put in bright lights then offered All You Can Eat times where a waitress would come around with a Pizza Tray from which you could select slices and stuff your face. As a result, those who would have visited as a kind of Restaurant Outing stopped going. No more First Dates there. Now it was Billy-Bob and Sharleen types with their 15 screaming kids who visited. Those on first dates went to local Pizzerias instead and ate alfresco on the sidewalk.

No longer could you order a Small, Medium or Family. Now there is one size... Medium, which they call Large. (Though some shopping center outlets do Mini Pizzas.)

An Interesting thing to observe as they changed WHO they wanted as customers and adjusted their business to suit without doing localized testing any more.

How long has Pepsi owned them? 10 years. The change Must have begun Slowly when Pizza Hut went public in 1977. And no longer was at the whim of the owner, but dictated to by The Board whose obligations where to the stockholders.

Of course, Pizza Hut in the US might be different. I cannot say. Only what I observed and experienced down my side of the globe over the last 20+ years.

Michael Ross
Old December 31, 2007, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

Wink Re: Why You Need To Keep Friday Night - or Saturday Night - Free. Plus other "News"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
As it is on one of those nights, and your observance of this First would be appreciated at the time of its occurrence, I need to ask... which evening is better for you? When do you have some Free time - Friday night or Saturday night?

Michael Ross

Michael,

I'd like to see it NOW. But since that's not an option, let's go with Friday.

Carol
Old December 31, 2007, 04:21 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: Why You Need To Keep Friday Night - or Saturday Night - Free. Plus other "News"...

Hi Michael

I am chuckling a little as I write this.

We actually have a business networking event here called "First Friday's". Held at the First Friday of every month.

Then I had this thought of "Sowpub Saturdays"...LOL

But to answer your question FRIDAY works best for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Thanks for opening this message. I think you'll find it... rewarding.

There is something Big happening on Friday night - or it might be Saturday night, hasn't been firmly set yet. And I believe it is a FIRST for the online business/marketing type crowd.

So Big is this First, that I am reluctant to out and out name it here. Because there are Those who would like nothing more than to Steal the fire. And maybe try to be the First themselves. So for the moment, all I can say is... it's a Sowpub Exclusive and a First - and 100% Free. And it's on Friday or Saturday night - that is the 4th or 5th of January 2008.

In other news...

We have some upcoming announcements - yes, I am announcing the announcements HA! So stayed tuned for those - no they have nothing to do with marketing tests.

But speaking of those. I trust you all participated in the recent test and got to experience First Hand what a large and successful company does that make it large and successful. That's experience/knowledge you just cannot buy.

It reminds me of how Pizza Hut USED to test down here in Australia. Any Promotions or Marketing Ploys designed to Get Bums On Seats, was First tested in Rural Towns, where they had outlets. This enabled Small Scale Testing to be carried out Without much Expense.

If their Marketing Ploy was successful in one town they Tested it in another town. Multiple Success saw them Then roll out the campaign. They rolled After they knew they had a Winner.

Now a days, however, their roll out is their test. If it flops, they make adjustments. That it cost a Lot to do this doesn't seem to matter any more.

Personally, I think the decline of Pizza Hut in Australia is due to them trying to Compete with the Jiffy Pizza Shops like Dominos.

Pizza Hut USED to be less brightly lit. And had more of a Going Out To A Restaurant feel. But they changed. Put in bright lights then offered All You Can Eat times where a waitress would come around with a Pizza Tray from which you could select slices and stuff your face. As a result, those who would have visited as a kind of Restaurant Outing stopped going. No more First Dates there. Now it was Billy-Bob and Sharleen types with their 15 screaming kids who visited. Those on first dates went to local Pizzerias instead and ate alfresco on the sidewalk.

No longer could you order a Small, Medium or Family. Now there is one size... Medium, which they call Large. (Though some shopping center outlets do Mini Pizzas.)

An Interesting thing to observe as they changed WHO they wanted as customers and adjusted their business to suit without doing localized testing any more.

How long has Pepsi owned them? 10 years. The change Must have begun Slowly when Pizza Hut went public in 1977. And no longer was at the whim of the owner, but dictated to by The Board whose obligations where to the stockholders.

Of course, Pizza Hut in the US might be different. I cannot say. Only what I observed and experienced down my side of the globe over the last 20+ years.

Michael Ross
Old December 31, 2007, 06:41 PM
yerg

Default Re: Why You Need To Keep Friday Night - or Saturday Night - Free. Plus other "News"...

Given we are all in different time zones ... which Friday or Saturday time space are we talking about?

Friday Night in USA can be Saturday morning in OZ.
Old December 31, 2007, 08:17 PM
MichaelRoss

Default How The Times Work Out For Your Part Of The World

Yerg,

Thanks for your question.

As the Majority of visitors are from the US, I was automatically thinking US time. Which would break down like this for Friday night in the US...

11pm Eastern - Friday Night
10pm Central - Friday Night
9pm Mountain - Friday Night
8pm Pacific - Friday Night

Is 3pm Saturday in Australia - for Daylight Savings East Coast (2pm for Qld)

Is 5pm Saturday in NZ

Is 7am Saturday in Russia

Is 5am Saturday in Spain, France, Italy, Germany, etc.

Is 4am Saturday in England

Of course, it could possibly be an hour later for our UK friends - so it'd be Midnight in US East Coast instead of 11pm. Then all other times would need to be adjusted one hours later. This time, I feel, is the most user friendly as people should be home from work in the US and Australia and not gone to work yet in Europe or the UK.

Michael Ross
Old December 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
Phil

Default Re: How The Times Work Out For Your Part Of The World

Here you go...
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

The Later the better and Hopefully you're planning on Downloadable Copies...

On the mention of Pizza Hut in Australia...

Don't you Hate it when Companies and Products “Shrink” to remain Competitive in the Marketplace...

A Terrible business decision that Pisses off Consumers... Great for your Competition with some Creative PR...

Can't Beat Tracking and Studying the News...

Chains at war over shrinking Pizzas...

PIZZA chains are at war over accusations of shrinking pizzas with one chain producing a YouTube video suggesting another chain's pizza delivery drivers have small penises...
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-36418,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...014099,00.html

Phil
Old December 31, 2007, 11:23 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Another worldmap with times...

Phil,

Thanks for the timezone link.

Another which shows a Map Of The World with the Current Time of the entire glob is http://www.worldtimezone.com/

Michael Ross