SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
Fishman

Default Frank Lloyd Wright

Dien, Gordon, and all moderators...

I hope this ok to post. I understand it's not really about business but I feel strongly about this as I have an affinity for structural art, especially when it comes to homes.

If for some reason you delete this post I understand and I obviously do not mind as I know that it does not really relate to what we talk about here.

But from the great group that we do have here, it seems to me that there has to be some that appreciate art in all its various forms so here goes...

http://www.change.org/petitions/city...s-wright-house

The F.L.W. Conservancy has put up this petition to save a house that he had designed at the same time he was designing the Guggenheim Museum.

Apparently a developer bought the house and is planning on demolishing it so that he can build two "McMansions" in its place.

My thoughts were that, given the level of standards of some of us here at SowPub, there would be at least a few that would also like to sign the petition if you did not already know about it.

Thank you if you keep this post up and thanks to all who decide to sign the petition.

Fred
Old August 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
Bozo

Default Re: Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Dien, Gordon, and all moderators...

I hope this ok to post. I understand it's not really about business

I think it's very much about business, which in this case is the business of property development.

I support the developer's right to do what he wants with the property since he paid for it. Those that want to save the place should be collecting dollars to purchase the place, instead of signatures on a petition to government to interfere in a man's right to property.

That developer is expecting to profit, so that sets the price. Pay the man, or STFU.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:19 AM
LindaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
I think it's very much about business, which in this case is the business of property development.

I support the developer's right to do what he wants with the property since he paid for it. Those that want to save the place should be collecting dollars to purchase the place, instead of signatures on a petition to government to interfere in a man's right to property.

That developer is expecting to profit, so that sets the price. Pay the man, or STFU.

I absolutely agree with you, the developer is expecting to profit, so you have to take this into account.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
Fishman

I understand what your saying Boz, he has every right to profit for his time, and effort and investment. (and they may very well Pay the man and SEBTFU) But the point is that sometimes some things are WAY MORE IMPORTANT than money.

These people are not trying cry like babies, or use the government, and take his house from him. They are trying to find a way to work with him by appealing to him directly, from what I could tell.

If you know anything at all about Frank L. W. he wasn't just an architectural design genius, he was also an educator and humanitarian.

The idea here is not to take away the developers right to do anything, it is to preserve a piece of history that shows what men/women/humanity are capable of producing.

And I can guarantee you that two or two hundred "McMansions" will never measure up to his standards of excellence in design or show any real humanitarian "development".

Look at all the "McMansions" that are setting empty right now because of "so called development"/BUSINESS. (foreclosures due to lack of ethical lending and lack of, on the borrowers part, ethical borrowing)

And trust me, I know from the inside out how the mortgage business worked and works because of direct involvement. Everyone talks about how the mortgage meltdown started in or around 2006 with "NO DOC" "Stated Income" loans. When the reality is the hole was being dug ten years earlier in 1996.

Anyway, the idea is that the house is more of a monument than just four walls with a roof.

Wow, can't believe how convoluted this all had to become. Wasn't trying to open up a debate. Sounds like I hit a nerve though. Was not my intention.

Fred
Old August 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Bozo

Default Here's the problem with the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
I understand what your saying Boz, he has every right to profit for his time, and effort and investment. (and they may very well Pay the man and SEBTFU) But the point is that sometimes some things are WAY MORE IMPORTANT than money.

Some things are more important than money when one can afford to make them more important. That doesn't seem to be the case in Phoenix.

The great grand daughters sold the place for $2.8M in 2009.
Early this year, Meridian bought it for $1.8M.
Somebody is out $1M, and the crying isn't over yet.

There's not a lot of people who want to live in a 1950's monstrosity, much less maintain it, and pay big bucks for the privilege.

The buyer in 2009 thought he got a bargain. (I'm guessing)
Realized his mistake and got out while the getting was as good as it would get, and only lost a million.

We can only guess what price the undisclosed new buyer paid, or what concessions he will get from the architectural hysterical society.

Business as usual. I wonder what Howard Roark would think of this battle?
Old August 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
Fishman

Ok?