SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 29, 2022, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Coming soon: Melted gold turned into new shiny baubles.

This from an email. A long time SowPubber asked about something we discussed in early 2000's, and Dien and I had to dive into the archives to find that little gold nugget.

Well, we both found a lot of old posts and links, to some pretty good ideas.

I'm not working, still recovering from my Covid, apparently, I have long covid symptoms, on top of ear infections, both inner and outer...YIKES, only 6 weeks ago, I was the picture of good health, now a poster boy of staying away from people altogehter.

Anyhow, I will be spending more time looking through our 22 years of prior posts, and see what is there. That I can do.

Work WERK!! is not yet back on the table.

Gordon
Old October 30, 2022, 09:04 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A different kind of "stored value"...

Hi Gordon,

There's definitely gold in them thar archives!

Admittedly... Not always easy to look through... But it's there...

It was fun to go through some of these old conversations... Many of which I had forgotten we had! But...

A good read of them jogged the old memory... and there are some incredible money-making activities and ideas stored there!

A different kind of "stored value"... I'd say...

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
This from an email. A long time SowPubber asked about something we discussed in early 2000's, and Dien and I had to dive into the archives to find that little gold nugget.

Well, we both found a lot of old posts and links, to some pretty good ideas.

I'm not working, still recovering from my Covid, apparently, I have long covid symptoms, on top of ear infections, both inner and outer...YIKES, only 6 weeks ago, I was the picture of good health, now a poster boy of staying away from people altogehter.

Anyhow, I will be spending more time looking through our 22 years of prior posts, and see what is there. That I can do.

Work WERK!! is not yet back on the table.

Gordon
Old October 30, 2022, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default 22 years and thousands of members/visitors.

Dien, 22 CONTINUOUS years, even with the hiatus by one or the other now and then, we've done a pretty good job here...admittedly some ups, downs, highs and lows. Now a new wave of sowpubbers and sadly some gone.

The email Dien and I responded to was about POD, a thing I had written about in the early 2000's and again every few years. In fact, I went out and bought a big printer, to do it...one that could print 11 x 17. I used it til it broke down.

What I paid nearly a grand for you can now pick up for a few hundred bux, and I think the ink is even cheaper now, if you shop around.

Anyhow, going through the archives, we both discovered . several threads which were a few years ahead of their time...and there is a problem being too early into a new thing...unless you claim a place in that market. It is also one of the fastest ways to build a rapid growing business.

Take etsy or even eBay, I didn't. But those folk smarter than me, got into both those early, and by being early users/adopters, not only profited from using those formats/tools, but also, and here is where I did NOT TAKE my own advice...selling reports on how to use them.

My original Chattel Report was written before eBay, before Craigslist...and some have wondered how in the heck did anyone sell anything way back then.

HA! Today is so much easier, better, faster than ever to start something and quickly make it grow.

So, as we discover some of that "stored value" in the archives, we will bring it back into circulation and update as needed.

Simple, albeit some time involved, to find HISTORY, and to update it and offer it to a new part of the PARADE OF LIFE.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

There's definitely gold in them thar archives!

Admittedly... Not always easy to look through... But it's there...

It was fun to go through some of these old conversations... Many of which I had forgotten we had! But...

A good read of them jogged the old memory... and there are some incredible money-making activities and ideas stored there!

A different kind of "stored value"... I'd say...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old November 1, 2022, 12:03 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A boggling amount of "stored value"...

Hi Gordon,

Talking about "stored value"...

A lot of us on this forum have so much "stored value"... Maybe reports, or audio, or even video, that we may have created years ago...

Which still have much value...

It's just that, the value has to be presented right for today's audience...

Or they could be "wrapped up" in a bundle and "monetized" that way...

This has been on my mind...

How to present it in a way which gives the most value to the customer?

The amount of "stored value" among just the people I know about on this forum boggles the mind...

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Dien, 22 CONTINUOUS years, even with the hiatus by one or the other now and then, we've done a pretty good job here...admittedly some ups, downs, highs and lows. Now a new wave of sowpubbers and sadly some gone.

The email Dien and I responded to was about POD, a thing I had written about in the early 2000's and again every few years. In fact, I went out and bought a big printer, to do it...one that could print 11 x 17. I used it til it broke down.

What I paid nearly a grand for you can now pick up for a few hundred bux, and I think the ink is even cheaper now, if you shop around.

Anyhow, going through the archives, we both discovered . several threads which were a few years ahead of their time...and there is a problem being too early into a new thing...unless you claim a place in that market. It is also one of the fastest ways to build a rapid growing business.

Take etsy or even eBay, I didn't. But those folk smarter than me, got into both those early, and by being early users/adopters, not only profited from using those formats/tools, but also, and here is where I did NOT TAKE my own advice...selling reports on how to use them.

My original Chattel Report was written before eBay, before Craigslist...and some have wondered how in the heck did anyone sell anything way back then.

HA! Today is so much easier, better, faster than ever to start something and quickly make it grow.

So, as we discover some of that "stored value" in the archives, we will bring it back into circulation and update as needed.

Simple, albeit some time involved, to find HISTORY, and to update it and offer it to a new part of the PARADE OF LIFE.

Gordon
Old November 8, 2022, 10:51 AM

Default Stored Value

Thanks Dien for reminding me about all the "stored value" in the knowledge I possess about my performing career.

Just today someone was asking to purchase ALL of my courses, plus my 26 week course on performing.

Ha ! Now I just need to come up with a price.

I actually think it might be better to just set up a licensing deal for him to use my material for his career.

Maybe just coach him!

I already emailed him back as to what he wants to accomplish with ALL my materials.

We'll see.
Old November 8, 2022, 05:16 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Licensing your business model...

Hi Millard,

Yes, you are one of the people on the forum who has IMMENSE stored value!

What you have is still immensely valuable...

There are many ways you can make use of it... Such as...

- Sell individual copies of your works...
- License them out to someone else, for them to use or sell
- Sell the rights (non-exclusively or exclusively)
- Use them as "bonuses" to help make sales for other works
- Use them as the basis for a membership website

Another model, which I've only become aware of recently, is to license out your successful business model to others in the industry...

This is what Alex Hormozi did with his "Gym Launch" business.

He created a small string of successful gyms... Then he "licensed" out his model to other gyms.

Essentially, from what I can tell, in his case it means providing an instructional and coaching service to other gyms... But doing it under a "licensing" model...

Kind of like the "franchise" model, except (as far as I know) he takes no ownership in the businesses of his gym-owner customers...

Nowadays, Bob Serling teaches something similar... I think Bob Serling calls it licensing your business's intellectual property... In this case, by "intellectual property" he's not referring patents, copyrights, secrets formulas, etc. Instead, he's referring to business processes, systems, training, sales methods, etc., that you've developed...

Of course, I'd love to hear how it goes!

- Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Thanks Dien for reminding me about all the "stored value" in the knowledge I possess about my performing career.

Just today someone was asking to purchase ALL of my courses, plus my 26 week course on performing.

Ha ! Now I just need to come up with a price.

I actually think it might be better to just set up a licensing deal for him to use my material for his career.

Maybe just coach him!

I already emailed him back as to what he wants to accomplish with ALL my materials.

We'll see.
Old November 9, 2022, 08:22 AM

Default More Stored Value

Thanks Dien !

I appreciate your thoughts on licensing my materials. Just went through my files to look up audios for a potential buyer of a couple of my courses and found that I have hundreds and hundreds of files from a lifetime of performing. (BTW, I created an ebook that will soon be on Amazon with the title, "A Lifetime of Performing")

The files I have include audio descriptions of shows (These were products I sold years ago on eBay), hundreds of promo items selling my show, letters to schools and daycare centers where I did shows, photos of performances, and many, many other things.

Yeah, I've got a lot. It will take hours to separate it all.

Sadly, there are many files that I created with the old Pagemaker software that I cannot open, as well as In Design files.

Fortunately, most of my stuff was in the "Cloud" and I can access it there. The other stuff has been burned to disk and I can access it via CD ROM reader (Do they still exist?)

In any case, if there is a large enough base of performers, I might consider a license to my stuff.
Old November 13, 2022, 06:26 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Converting old files into something you can read today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Sadly, there are many files that I created with the old Pagemaker software that I cannot open, as well as In Design files.
Hi Millard,

I don't know if it will help, but there are a lot of online free "conversion" tools which may help...

For example, I searched for

convert pagemaker files

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+pagemaker+files

and a bunch of websites came up... Maybe they can convert your Pagemaker files into something you can read today?

Might be worth checking out...

- Dien