SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 15, 2001, 11:47 AM
Dien Rice

Default Dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (shell shock)

I've seen various experts on TV mentioning that what a lot of people have to deal with right now is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (which is the same thing as "shell shock").

Does anyone here know of any good resources on how to deal with this? Either web pages or other good resources....

Thanks,

- Dien Rice
Old September 15, 2001, 12:22 PM
Gordon Alexander

Default There are several names for this, Event Trauma...

I'll post resources later Dien, and in a moment how I deal with it.

There are two phases we are going through,
one, the FOG, or what to do and the other is

HYPERACUITY...which manifests in many forms, one is anger and short temper outbursts...

people who are ordinarily nice and sweet can suddenly bite your head off at work.

Being AWARE that this is happening, and that there is NOTHING wrong with you for these feelings, is the first step to not being overwhelmed by them.

If you are dazed, want to sleep all day, can't focus or concentrate OR...

if you are alert, hyper, haven't slept much

if you are in either state, you are normal.

I'll post later some resources every community has to offer. Just KNOW and be aware, you may not think you have one of these symptoms, but those around you might have noticed.

Above, I'm going to post how I deal with it...and I've experienced both states and in fact fluctuate between being in a FOG and trying on my Navy Uniform, a little hyper activity too.

More later.

Gordon Alexander
Old September 15, 2001, 08:38 PM
Dien Rice

Default Re: There are several names for this, Event Trauma...

Thanks Gordon.... Yes, I tend to fluctuate too between a bit of fogginess and hyperacuity as well (probably more fog at the moment).... I've never come across this before. I'd be grateful for any resources you (or anyone else) could share....

- Dien
Old September 16, 2001, 01:30 PM
Andrea Reynolds

Default Re: 2 small resources

I've experienced PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder or syndrome) several times in my life as a result of a mass shooting, bombing and two stalkers. In fact I've only in the last year felt like my normal self after escaping a stalker three years ago who has possibly murdered three people. I'm not a psychologist, but have been trained as a crisis counselor. My particular skill is brainstorming solutions in crises. Sometimes we feel so paralyzed we're incapable of making simple decisions like which shoes to put on. I offer specific multiple solutions (when a person asks) to help a person take the next positive step, no matter how small.

I'm offering my support for free to those in need of what-to-do-next help during this tragedy (and after). You can read a brief example of what I do on my site. http://www.AndreaReynolds.com/aftermath.html

I've looked for books on post-traumatic stress and only found one, Cop Shock (for cops). I haven't seen it or read it but it might offer some insight.
http://www.Copshock.com I don't know the author and get nothing for my recommendation.

Andrea Reynolds in Western PA

Crisis brainstorming
Old September 21, 2001, 12:51 PM
Dien Rice

Default Thank you Andrea....

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply.... Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your post, I guess I've just been slowly "recovering" but luckily things seem to get better day-by-day, as you realize that it's not the end of the world, and life will go on....

Thanks for those web sites and recommendations. And also I think it's a great service you provide, there's a big need for your skills right now more than ever!

- Dien Rice