SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 18, 2018, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default If you can't sell FREE, maybe you shouldn't be selling?

Frequent discussion; selling vs magnetic marketing. Or as I recently said at the Warrior Forum; "Little Debbie has NEVER had to sell me a delicious little snack cake."

She just sits there, all smiles, beneath her bonnet, beckoning me to sample her wares, and me being a Nutty Buddy junkie, can't resist.

Little Debbie, LAY'S, gasoline for the car, and gazillions of other items, which just sit there, on a shelf, in a tank, waiting for me and millions like me to show up and SPEND MY MONEY.

These "magnetic" items pull us to them. Sure, there may be branding involved, whether we reach for a Bud or a Miller brewski, but there isn't a PERSON standing there, or knocking on my door SELLING these things to me.

VAST majority of people don't want to sell, hate it, can't take the rejection. Those that can sell are some of the highest income producers in business.

Which is why REMOTE selling, and Copywriting is so popular and one of the fastest growing trades (dare I say commodities?) online.

Anyhow, my advice to people starting out is pick a product which doesn't need selling. OR, learn to sell, either by direct or remote means.

Then, I may get asked, WHAT? to sell. My answer, find buyers. DEMAND, wants, needs.

Business need customers. ADVERTISING is one of the most needed things which businesses buy. Sell advertising.

PART 3.

Over the last 5 years I've been involved with several people who have done or are doing the "selling advertising". Long ago, I latched on to a Don Alm idea (restaurant daily specials) and did very well with those programs.

Although I'm not a stranger to selling ads, started in 1965 with ACTION AD CLOCKS, and have been in many programs, selling ads can be a grind.

It was a shoe leather business, a SEE the people, see the people, see the people thing, and the competition is still fierce. Today, instead of TV, radio, and Yellow Page ad salespeople coming in, biz owners are daily assaulted with Web site salesman, SEO, social media, and us POSTCARD salesman.

There are ads sold on the back of register tapes, on mugs in a restaurant, on top of pizza boxes, on coupon mailers, in booklets, billboards, buses, benches, everywhere you turn you get an ad in your face.

HOW to compete in the modern world of advertising selling?

Don't.

Be different, offer something unique, something which works. And, offer something for FREE.

After a couple of years of testing, refining and perfecting, we're close to having the ultimate Advertising venture ready.

Nothing new, not exactly. But the HOST card with offers on them is or may be the very best of the business generating promotions, low cost, targeted mailings with very good offers.

The problem is, too many businesses don't know what they are doing, or how to maximize their business. They lack a plan to KEEP customers. Of course, it depends on the type of business too.

The gas station up the street doesn't need to advertise, the little red light on my dashboard is the best salesman there is, when he starts blinking at me, I head for the station.

Gordon
Old June 18, 2018, 03:03 PM
grooviegravy

Default Re: If you can't sell FREE, maybe you shouldn't be selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Frequent discussion; selling vs magnetic marketing. Or as I recently said at the Warrior Forum; "Little Debbie has NEVER had to sell me a delicious little snack cake."

She just sits there, all smiles, beneath her bonnet, beckoning me to sample her wares, and me being a Nutty Buddy junkie, can't resist.

Little Debbie, LAY'S, gasoline for the car, and gazillions of other items, which just sit there, on a shelf, in a tank, waiting for me and millions like me to show up and SPEND MY MONEY.

These "magnetic" items pull us to them. Sure, there may be branding involved, whether we reach for a Bud or a Miller brewski, but there isn't a PERSON standing there, or knocking on my door SELLING these things to me.

VAST majority of people don't want to sell, hate it, can't take the rejection. Those that can sell are some of the highest income producers in business.

Which is why REMOTE selling, and Copywriting is so popular and one of the fastest growing trades (dare I say commodities?) online.

Anyhow, my advice to people starting out is pick a product which doesn't need selling. OR, learn to sell, either by direct or remote means.

Then, I may get asked, WHAT? to sell. My answer, find buyers. DEMAND, wants, needs.

Business need customers. ADVERTISING is one of the most needed things which businesses buy. Sell advertising.

PART 3.

Over the last 5 years I've been involved with several people who have done or are doing the "selling advertising". Long ago, I latched on to a Don Alm idea (restaurant daily specials) and did very well with those programs.

Although I'm not a stranger to selling ads, started in 1965 with ACTION AD CLOCKS, and have been in many programs, selling ads can be a grind.

It was a shoe leather business, a SEE the people, see the people, see the people thing, and the competition is still fierce. Today, instead of TV, radio, and Yellow Page ad salespeople coming in, biz owners are daily assaulted with Web site salesman, SEO, social media, and us POSTCARD salesman.

There are ads sold on the back of register tapes, on mugs in a restaurant, on top of pizza boxes, on coupon mailers, in booklets, billboards, buses, benches, everywhere you turn you get an ad in your face.

HOW to compete in the modern world of advertising selling?

Don't.

Be different, offer something unique, something which works. And, offer something for FREE.

After a couple of years of testing, refining and perfecting, we're close to having the ultimate Advertising venture ready.

Nothing new, not exactly. But the HOST card with offers on them is or may be the very best of the business generating promotions, low cost, targeted mailings with very good offers.

The problem is, too many businesses don't know what they are doing, or how to maximize their business. They lack a plan to KEEP customers. Of course, it depends on the type of business too.

The gas station up the street doesn't need to advertise, the little red light on my dashboard is the best salesman there is, when he starts blinking at me, I head for the station.

Gordon

Good stuff, Gordon. I don't have anything to add, except to say, it's pretty easy to become the only game in town. When you do, than you get to charge what you want, because it's not ad space you are offering.

Ron
Old June 19, 2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default How to become the only game in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooviegravy View Post
Good stuff, Gordon. I don't have anything to add, except to say, it's pretty easy to become the only game in town. When you do, than you get to charge what you want, because it's not ad space you are offering.

Ron

Thanks Ron, we have an advantage, I think, because at some point we either overcame any fears, if we had them (I didn't, because of Spiders, Snakes and Mice, so it was a game to me)...and LEARNED
the
business of SELLING.

From a simple take it or leave it, to the use of magic words, persuasion, influence, manipulation and oft times back to TAKE IT OR LEAVE it selling.

Like you, I don't sell ads. That re-framing in and of itself should be a lesson, yet so many continue on with their GRIND.

IF a salesperson stands in the owner's shoes for a day, and sees that PARADE of "parasites" (as they often come to think of them) of people trying to take their money for everything from CC processing, SEO, web sites, blah, yada, blah...

They will quickly come up with an alternative approach. This may just be us, but so far, a disarming with a FREE, "can't sell you anything if I wanted to", often at least gets you through their outer walls of sales defenses.

I don't have a clue what you do Ron, but I do see scores of salespeople still out there calling on business owners, and with, what in my opinion is a horrible waste of time for the return on their sales efforts.

Take that 9 x 12 crowd, those selling giant postcards, which has evolved over the years, but I said 3 years ago, SPEED beats numbers of ads, and so many people were after 12 to 18 ads, it took forever and a day to get one done.

We found 4 to 6 to be the sweet spot, OR 6 to 8 on a HOSTED CARD (with half being host referrals).

A smaller card, fewer ads (promotions), fewer mailed, TARGETED ZIP XONE mailings, and better results. If they have a crummy offer, they don't get on, such as offering a One Day TRIAL for a gym/martial arts/fitness center, that is a ridiculous offer, and so of course that person won't renew.

Back in the day, another RIDick u LOS thing was telling people on the phone they could get a 5% RESPONSE rate, which means the pizza show could expect up to 500 redemptions on a mailing of 10,000. HA!

The truth is, I have NO idea how many, which is why you must have a good offer to test and KNOW WHAT YOU WANT from the exposure.

Anyhow, this same idea, a thinking of what if...

I made it smaller (bigger), sent out fewer, had fewer, completed it faster...

these are the kinds of questions the majority won't think about, which is great for those that sell the programs.

I wonder how many people have ponied up another 99 to 299 to get the latest and greatest; all you got to do is sit home and send emails, meditate or tap into the LAW of Attraction and watch those businesses buy ads on your postcards, because you are so clever???

Whatever.

The thing about Don Alm's programs, he told you enough, that if one had any gumption or drive at all, a person could get out there and test it (I have to believe that cost Don some sales?) but it was doable.

Make a mock up,
SEE THE PEOPLE,
offer, give them the old razzle dazzle, or
a shrug of the shoulder,

and say, if not you...

fine,

your competitor then. BYE.

Gordon
Old July 16, 2018, 04:17 PM
BenjaminS815

Default Re: How to become the only game in town.

Quote:
Thanks Ron, we have an advantage, I think, because at some point we either overcame any fears, if we had them (I didn't, because of Spiders, Snakes and Mice, so it was a game to me)...and LEARNED
the
business of SELLING.

From a simple take it or leave it, to the use of magic words, persuasion, influence, manipulation and oft times back to TAKE IT OR LEAVE it selling.

Like you, I don't sell ads. That re-framing in and of itself should be a lesson, yet so many continue on with their GRIND.

IF a salesperson stands in the owner's shoes for a day, and sees that PARADE of "parasites" (as they often come to think of them) of people trying to take their money for everything from CC processing, SEO, web sites, blah, yada, blah...

They will quickly come up with an alternative approach. This may just be us, but so far, a disarming with a FREE, "can't sell you anything if I wanted to", often at least gets you through their outer walls of sales defenses.

I don't have a clue what you do Ron, but I do see scores of salespeople still out there calling on business owners, and with, what in my opinion is a horrible waste of time for the return on their sales efforts.

Take that 9 x 12 crowd, those selling giant postcards, which has evolved over the years, but I said 3 years ago, SPEED beats numbers of ads, and so many people were after 12 to 18 ads, it took forever and a day to get one done.

We found 4 to 6 to be the sweet spot, OR 6 to 8 on a HOSTED CARD (with half being host referrals).

A smaller card, fewer ads (promotions), fewer mailed, TARGETED ZIP XONE mailings, and better results. If they have a crummy offer, they don't get on, such as offering a One Day TRIAL for a gym/martial arts/fitness center, that is a ridiculous offer, and so of course that person won't renew.

Back in the day, another RIDick u LOS thing was telling people on the phone they could get a 5% RESPONSE rate, which means the pizza show could expect up to 500 redemptions on a mailing of 10,000. HA!

The truth is, I have NO idea how many, which is why you must have a good offer to test and KNOW WHAT YOU WANT from the exposure.

Anyhow, this same idea, a thinking of what if...

I made it smaller (bigger), sent out fewer, had fewer, completed it faster...

these are the kinds of questions the majority won't think about, which is great for those that sell the programs.

I wonder how many people have ponied up another 99 to 299 to get the latest and greatest; all you got to do is sit home and send emails, meditate or tap into the LAW of Attraction and watch those businesses buy ads on your postcards, because you are so clever???

Whatever.

The thing about Don Alm's programs, he told you enough, that if one had any gumption or drive at all, a person could get out there and test it (I have to believe that cost Don some sales?) but it was doable.

Make a mock up,
SEE THE PEOPLE,
offer, give them the old razzle dazzle, or
a shrug of the shoulder,

and say, if not you...

fine,

your competitor then. BYE.

Gordon

I've gotten 2 realtors to agree to be hosts but haven't had any luck when we call their potential co-sponsors so I took my sample today and went to 20 businesses and am finding it hard to reach decision makers. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old July 16, 2018, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Default Your are running into some of the slop and mess of doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminS815 View Post
I've gotten 2 realtors to agree to be hosts but haven't had any luck when we call their potential co-sponsors so I took my sample today and went to 20 businesses and am finding it hard to reach decision makers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wasting time talking to NON decision makers is one of the biggest complaints of all salespeople calling on businesses.

Specific to your case, you have a host, a REALTOR, who does he/she use as their go-to TITLE company, or which banks do they like for home loans, who would they use if they bought a house to rent, as an owner-agent, who would they get to fix the roof, redo the plumbing, the wiring. See, you have to make it something profitable for them...so the Realtor should be willing to call, or let you use his name, Joe Johnson of Realty One sent me over to see (Da Owner)...and if he is not in...

You get the name of the person, leave something behind, and get a best time to reach da owner. Leave a sample card so they know what it is.

If your host won't cooperate, you need to rethink this, and go back to alter your presentation so they know you expect them to give you some referrals.

I suggest a phone call. Mr Pizza Man, Mr. Realtor is doing a mailing and he thought you might have an interest, it will only take 5 minutes to show you what he's doing, would an afternoon or morning be better for you?

Standard sales technique to get an appointment, a phone will save you hours of time. If cold calling, and you leave behind the sample card, you GET THE NAME of the person you left it with, tell them you will be back to pick up the sample and ask when the best time to do that after the boss has seen it.

WRITE the name in your daily planner.

IF you are giving the host the front or big space for free, you have to let them know up front, you want some referrals, and as mentioned in the post, Don Alm and others would sit there and make them get out the rolodex and make a few calls, but few of us are persuasive as Don.

Say it is going to take 20 calls to get the 6 or 8 advertisers, so you call on the phone, or if out and about, you drop off and pick up. Either way, you always ask for a best time to either call back, or drop in, and see if that helps.

Gordon
Old July 16, 2018, 11:56 PM
BenjaminS815

Default Re: Your are running into some of the slop and mess of doing this.

Quote:
Wasting time talking to NON decision makers is one of the biggest complaints of all salespeople calling on businesses.

Specific to your case, you have a host, a REALTOR, who does he/she use as their go-to TITLE company, or which banks do they like for home loans, who would they use if they bought a house to rent, as an owner-agent, who would they get to fix the roof, redo the plumbing, the wiring. See, you have to make it something profitable for them...so the Realtor should be willing to call, or let you use his name, Joe Johnson of Realty One sent me over to see (Da Owner)...and if he is not in...

You get the name of the person, leave something behind, and get a best time to reach da owner. Leave a sample card so they know what it is.

If your host won't cooperate, you need to rethink this, and go back to alter your presentation so they know you expect them to give you some referrals.

I suggest a phone call. Mr Pizza Man, Mr. Realtor is doing a mailing and he thought you might have an interest, it will only take 5 minutes to show you what he's doing, would an afternoon or morning be better for you?

Standard sales technique to get an appointment, a phone will save you hours of time. If cold calling, and you leave behind the sample card, you GET THE NAME of the person you left it with, tell them you will be back to pick up the sample and ask when the best time to do that after the boss has seen it.

WRITE the name in your daily planner.

IF you are giving the host the front or big space for free, you have to let them know up front, you want some referrals, and as mentioned in the post, Don Alm and others would sit there and make them get out the rolodex and make a few calls, but few of us are persuasive as Don.

Say it is going to take 20 calls to get the 6 or 8 advertisers, so you call on the phone, or if out and about, you drop off and pick up. Either way, you always ask for a best time to either call back, or drop in, and see if that helps.

Gordon

The 2 realtors, seemed excited but I couldn't convince them to call on the spot and when I followed up after a few days they said they hadn't found interest yet but would keep trying. I only have one sample and will get more so that I am able to leave them behind with potential sponsors when cold calling. It seems 3/4 businesses in my city are franchises or have a corporate office. Just a thought but Do you believe I'd have better luck in a small town with less than 5k total addresses? There are a few around and they seem to be more local businesses than franchises.
Old July 17, 2018, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default Yes, franchises are a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminS815 View Post
The 2 realtors, seemed excited but I couldn't convince them to call on the spot and when I followed up after a few days they said they hadn't found interest yet but would keep trying. I only have one sample and will get more so that I am able to leave them behind with potential sponsors when cold calling. It seems 3/4 businesses in my city are franchises or have a corporate office. Just a thought but Do you believe I'd have better luck in a small town with less than 5k total addresses? There are a few around and they seem to be more local businesses than franchises.

Franchises vary greatly, but safe to say, ALL, have say in the advertising. I personally wouldn't waste time UNLESS they already are using DR ads, in the weekly coupons or newspapers or other media. Mom and Pop, single owner businesses are best, but some chains have franchise owners who CAN run their own ads. Don't know of any list which distinguishes them, however.

If you don't have more samples, create a sales sheet to leave behind. BUT at the time you meet the owner, you must put the card into her hand. Feeling it and seeing it make a lot of difference.

Create a list, a checklist, and when you find a Realtor interested (or any host) you whip out the check list and let them fill it out, say it only takes two minutes. You ask those questions, like who they would call if:

Their home was in a tornado and the roof came off, who would you call to repair it? Do you know this person?

Who is the plumber you would call? etc. etc. When it is right in front of them, and all they have to do is check mark and fill in a blank, you have a "referral" sheet. Maybe even have them initial it.

If they can't call or say they will, DON'T BELIEVE them, they won't do it, besides it isn't their job. Do your job. Get a list of referrals and go SELL them.

What REASONS are you giving the advertisers? Why would it be a good idea to ride along on a Realtor's card? What is the benefit? How is it cost effective?

Keep in mind, you are SELLING. And that isn't easy for most people, in fact, 90%+ of the population would never ever do it, and even in the % of people who do, most suck at it and don't last very long, it is a churn and burn profession, especially with an industry like advertising and promotion.

Make it EASY on the host to fill out a form, a simple list of who would be used if HE/SHE, had to get work done...those are your referrals. I wouldn't waste time with a host who wouldn't take 2 mins to go over the list with you.

You will find, if you don't quit, that it comes down to confidence and numbers and numbers= a grind. No matter how you slice it, but whatever that grind is, it is going to be one.

Also, just FYI, I wouldn't work Mondays. T, Wed, Th and F AM, and even then 2 days done by 3 in the aft. 1 day for evening work.

But no matter how you set your time up, just doing it, and to sustain it, requires an acknowledgement of a grind mindset. You are never DONE. The wheel must keep on turning.

One reason Information products are popular, once you have them, you are done on that part. The 7 Step Hotsheet I'm currently discussing could be used for years, probably will be a giveaway, as an opt in thank you or just to be able to send them something else.

SELLING, can be very lucrative to those who master it, get disciplines in place, use systems and Keep It Simple, but if it were EASY, 98% of the population wouldn't fear it, would they?

Good luck,

Gordon