SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 15, 2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default OLD post, good idea, NEW example.

Here is an old post:

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117

Number 117, originally posted August 13, 2000. It is dated. But it talks of Drew Kaplan, and Drew is still around www.dak.com

I don't think he's done as well as he (and I) thought he was going to. Anyhow, the post was about a technique known as INVOLVEMENT.

It is a great device in Direct Marketing, getting your prospect to DO something, maybe a scratch off, or open an envelope, whatever...but it works.

You may learn something from that OLD post even if the old DAK2000 site has evolved.

NOW, I'd like to involve a few of you in a little project. The Beginner's Guide to Chatteling is done. I've been testing it at ebay and with some "beta" testers and it is almost ready to be unleashed to the public.

I'm looking for little blurbs, something like this:

JJ of North Carolina who bought a bike at a garage sale for 20 dollars and sold it on his way home for 60 bucks to a bike shop. $40.00 profit for a few minutes of driving around. That's like getting a free tank of gas.

This is a real life example from a real person who made a profit Chatteling.

Chatteling is the buying and selling of personal and corporate property for a profit. 40 bux on a bike. 40,000 on MRI machines. Same concept. Buy over here and sell over there for a profit.

eBay is ALL ABOUT CHATTELING.

IF you have ever bought something and sold it for a profit, be it a small 40 dollar profit like JJ, or thousands of dollars like HB, I'd like to hear about it.

Send me an email to [email protected] with your little Chatteling experience, and with your permission I'll be using it to show other people that YES Virginia, there really is a Chatteling Claus (hey, should I trademark that NOW?)...

And I'll send you a little gift for your involvement.

But even if you don't want to get involved, then read the OLD post and go visit the NEW Drew at www.dak.com Maybe you have a need or want for something like that MP3 and WAVE Recorder and Editor Drew's featuring.

Thanks for your time and attention and thanks Dien for restoring the Archives.

Gordon Jay Alexander

Part of the TEST at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Beginners-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 16, 2006, 03:25 AM
-TW

Default Re: OLD post, good idea, NEW example.

Can you tell us where the term came from? Never heard it before now.
Old September 16, 2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default Answer for Michael and TW

Regarding the word "Chatteling"...I'd like to take credit, but it was used on me by a friend who is an Auctioneer. When they are called into sell an estate, they often sell the Real Estate and Chattels...so they (the auctioneers industry) call it chatteling.

The word chattel comes from an ancient form of CATTLE...in more nomadic times a man's wealth was determined by amount of livestock he owned, cattle, sheep, goats etc.

In Real Estate, it is generally considered anything that is NOT attached to the structure...although great battles have been fought over things like faucets, light fixtures, chandeliers...which is why a RE contract must be very specific about what is considered "attached" or not.

And Michael, I have a whole LESSON on Barter...and some of the best stories coming from this board are concerned with that...

Let's see: One guy has gotten scores of FREE meals. Another was given a CAR for FREE. In the course I show exactly how I barter and what I get.

So, YES, FREE counts...in fact, that is the best deal to make...one where you PAY NOTHING and get some moolah in exchange.

That being said, I usually BARTER for other things...sort of use it as a substitue for cash, as I show in the course.

Thanks for asking, and my eBay tests will be ending soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Beginners-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem

Gordon J. Alexander
Old September 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Re: OLD post, good idea, NEW example.

Gordon (SOTM) J,

Quick question: Does the experience requested need to be a Buy/Sell experience - or - can it be an Obtained For Free / Sell experience?

Michael Ross
Old September 16, 2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY Macaroly...you've gotten INVOLVED.

YIKES.

I was expecting a few replies over the weekend. But it seems that so many of you are already chatteling, you just don't call it that or THINK about what you are doing. The course opens your eyes.

Now, I do reveal a few my "secrets" in the course, but some of you are doing just fine buying and selling chattel.

What the course does is give you a CLEARER PICTURE (thanks W.) of this whole other world that exists out there.

I'm getting some great stories; like this one: He bought a KNIFE sharpener from a school going out of business, ran an eBay auction and SOLD the sharpener for $ 750.00...he paid 140 including the eBay fees. Let's see:

$610.00 PROFIT for a couple of hours of werk?!

And that is what Chatteling is all about. Finding something for sale over there and selling it over here for a profit...or as Michael Ross (apparently) likes to do is to get stuff for FREE and then sell it. I like that idea Michael.

Come to Cuyahoga Falls and I'll drive you around the Chattel Perimeter, and point out to you over 27 locations within a five mile drive that buy and sell chattel...especially Abby Anne's, a little old woman "scavenger" who has built an empire around here selling stuff people throw away.

Thank you all for your deals and your stories. The "beta" testers have told me there are several AH HA moments in the course that has (or will) put some nice chunks of change into their pockets.

And I didn't invent Chatteling, I just ORGANIZED it into a perfectly neat little way of THINKING about getting profits from a little bit of awareness and action.

Thanks again for sharing your chatteling experiences with me. You are welcome to send more or to continue to send them too.

[email protected]

Gordon Jay Alexander