SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Default Why I am one of the greatest putters...still.

I'm going to tell you a story. First, I want to NameDrop, OK?

Joseph Murphy, Vernon Howard, Al G. Manning, William Walker Atkinson, Wallace Wattles, Ward Wallace aka Frank Wallace, Ernest Holmes, Mary Baker Eddy, Elizabeth Towne...

These are a few of the authors I read during my Wonder Years, 1965-80 or so.

Mostly New Agers except for Frank Wallace, total opposite.

So, anyhow, we had a bare carpet in the living room my dad wouldn't let my mom replace, not because we couldn't afford it, we couldn't...but becuase it was a great practice putting green.

Mom threw a rug over the rug when company came.

We had one of those electric putting machines, you'd putt into it and it would throw the ball back to you...the ultimate lazy man's device.

One day, dad comes in and sees me practicing and says,

"What are you doing?"

Practicing.

Where's the ball?

It's invisible.

Stifling a huge giggle, he says, How many have you missed.

NOT ONE, I've made every one.

I feel him shaking his head as heads toward the kitchen for a snack.

Guess what book I had read?

If you said Maxwell Maltz's PSYCHO-CYBERNETICS, you'd be right.

Last year about this time my ol navy bud Art was finishing up his FL stay trying to qualify for the Seniors Golf Tourn...the Champions Tour.

He was 63 then. Avg 312 yards off the tee with the occassional pop to 340. His long irons were crisp, short game terrific, in fact, he awed them at the local courses, people would stand and watch him practice.

With all his skill and talent, he should be WINNING those tournaments, not trying to qualify for them...what is his problem?

He can't putt. 3 and 4 putt from 3 feet. It was agonizing for him and me.

Other friends who knew him agreed he had some sort of mental block when it came to putting, and we encouraged him to get help...Art is one of those guys who thinks he can WORK it out, with sheer will power and hour after hour knocking in 3 footers....he didn't need any "mental" help.

Alas, Art had to go back to Greenville and contemplate his golf future.

I paid my dues on the putting green, like all would be professionals, and I tried the mechanical approach, got a board and tried to groove a putting stroke...but it didn't work for me.

I once talked to Billy Casper about putting and he told me he just feels the ball into the hole. HMMMM.

One of the greatest putters ever and he just "FEELS" the ball into the hole.

I am a touch putter too. In fact, I keep two putters in my bag, both OLD Jack Nicklaus, one from 1964 the other from 1970, never been regripped, old leather every once in a while I quickly run a warm soapy rag over and quickly dry it off, lest any of the magic gets washed off.

Why am I such a great putter? And even today, give me a week on the greens we'd compete on, and I'll take on Tiger, Phil, YOU or anyone else...that's a lot of confidence.

Based on a long history of being a phenomenal putter, but, alas, I stunk from tee to green. Always having to save par or bogey with my putter.

New Agers were the forerunners of modern metaphysicians, occultists and mystics. NOT all were nut jobs, like Wallace Ward, although his Neo-Tech had many threads woven from the Objectivist view of Ayn Rand...

Objectivists are totally the opposite of the MIND people.

One revered COPYWRITER, one of the greatest ever, was an occultist.

Robert Collier wrote the must have copy classic, The Robert Collier Letter Book...as welll as a course on Metaphysics which became the book...The Secret of the Ages.

You'll find a lot of William Walker Atkinson and his student Wallace Wattles as well as Ernest Holmes in Collier's book, which began as a mail order, self-improvement course.

Here was a guy who was absolutely scientific in his approach to selling by remote means, yet, he was a BELIEVER in the occult.

Why am I such a great putter? Because I think I am.

Full circle back to an occult classic, James Allen's As a Man Thinketh.

If you have never experienced anything supernatural, above and beyond coincidence, or the least bit mystic...you may be a full blown skeptic...or like Ben Suarez KNOWING how fast Gary Halbert's boat was, had an intellectual knowing until Gary opened the throttle and knocked Ben on his AZZ...then Ben KNEW.

It is difficult at times for a Believer, of any kind, of mysticism at all levels including religion, metaphysics or mind science...

to discuss the concept with the skeptics, who have a superior view of the world, like Rand and Wallace Ward. They operate objectively.

When I was 10, I had three major events in my life, which have influenced me to this day.

I saw a woman, in fact,several women change color and shrink somehow, when I used the magic words of Snakes, Spiders and Mice.

The day of flower power selling which set me on a course of learning everything I could about human nature, influence and selling...Words Have Power.

Not long after that, I was healed by the Rev. Earnest Angley and that afternoon had my first OBE, out of body experience...although at the time I would have sworn on a stack of bibles I had flown.

It took about 6 years to discover Astral Projection and Astral Bodies.

The third event was a move...from Tallmadge, OH to Phoenix AZ, back to Akron, to Cuyahoga Falls. FOUR elementary schools that year, always the new kid with the funny speech impediment.

Never had a problem in small town Tallmadge, where everyone knew me, the barber's kid who was the door to door salesman...but in the big city of Cuyahoga Falls, after coming out of the Akron Projects, which had it's own influence on me...I became a non speaking anti-social little idiot...and some people there today, still see me as that.

Why oh why oh why am I boring you to tears? Is there a point?

Yes.

Yes there is.

I'll share it tomorrow.

Gordon Jay Alexander

Last edited by GordonJ : February 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old February 11, 2012, 09:14 AM
Tina

Default Re: Why I am one of the greatest putters...still.

I don't know anything about golf, know a little about all that "mind stuff," but I know a LOT about writing, and I hereby dub Gordon KING of the cliffhanger forum post.

Somebody reach up and turn the hands on the clock around so Gordon thinks it's tomorrow already -- quick, while he's not looking! (chuckle)

I'll be waiting to read the rest of your story, Gordon.
Old February 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I'll share it tomorrow.
Hi Gordon,

You left us hanging!

I can't wait for part 2...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old February 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default Continued...maybe a point somewhere...

Maybe not. Could be a couple of sidebars and some wandering down a tangent path or two. This part picks up, after a quick review.

At 10, I discovered THE POWER OF WORDS, Snakes, Spiders and Mice OH MY...Elmers...salesmanship.

I was "healed" by Rev.Earnest Angley, and had my first Out of Body (OBE) experience, which I now attribute to a high fever, but at the time I swore I had flown.

Moved four times, four different grade schools.

In small town Tallmadge I was an outgoing, well liked kid who everyone knew as the barber's kid who was always trying to sell you something...

I had the speech impediment, but so did a lot of kids...no one ever said a thing about any of us taking speech therapy. I was also a case study at Kent State University speech program. Today, regarded as one of the best anywhere.

But then, landing back in urban Akron, OH from a failed move to Phoenix, and being way behind in classes, I was the new weird kid, with the funny sounding speech.

It only got worse with each new school and by the time I ended up at Preston Elementary, I had become a self-conscious and angry young man...and the urban experience I brought to Cuyahoga Falls manifested in a lot of fist fights and black eyes.

Enter Rusty Sheehan and Judo at the YMCA. When I wasn't working, I was at the Y practicing and waiting for Rusty to teach me the real stuff, the streetstuff. But as far as HS went, no one even remembers me going there.

To this day, there is only one person from my high school class who I stay in touch with, out of a 1000 kids in my class and 3000 in the 3 grade high school...ONE.

Tom and I took speech therapy together from the time I landed there, until we both said enough in the 10th grade. I didn't have a stutter before then, but I had one by the time I got to Preston...a new kid with a speech impediment, a stutter and a changing voice, which got me kicked out of music class, the one thing I actually looked forward too.

I was "ruining" the music teacher's chorus, so the principal made me a patrol boy, the only one from the 5th grade.

I became invisible. And some think almost actually invisible, I don't have a picture in the high school yearbook the year I graduated.

I got a full time job at 15 and worked 30-50 hours a week in a pizza shop and I barely made it out of high school, actually tried to drop out but a Navy recruiter made me see the error of my thinking. I did not participate in anything in high school. Never dated, didn't attend dances, went to school, tried to disappear into the woodwork (pretty successfully) and couldn't wait for the bell to ring so I could go to work or the Y.

OK, that plays a part in the rest of the story, but let me give you a timeline of some important events which were critical in my development, and some of which, eventually, will find their way to the end of the story and may be of some value to you...maybe...

At 10 I had the Big Three. Astral Flight. Selling. Moving with Humiliation.

At 15 I met the incredible Fran Renner, a hypnotherapist who got me started in the studies of psychology, hypnotism and in fact, all things mysterious.

At 18, in basic training, in San Diego, I discovered I wasn't near the idiot everyone thought I was back in Cuyahoga Falls...in fact, I saw what real idiots looked like...it was a real confidence boost. We had a guy from CA in my company who practiced martial arts movement at the end of the day...and he was the most feared guy, even though we had (by their own accounts) 3 Golden Gloves champs in the company.

The first few days, the CA Hippie challenged the Company Commander, supposedly the toughest guy ever in Detroit and just by taking a stance and making some moves...Big Dog backed down...as did everyone else.

I quickly befriended the guy...who took about a month to confide in me that he didn't know jack squat about any martial art...he was half Chinese (I think) and his grandfather practiced Tai Chi and he was just trying to mimick him. He was scared to death and devised a plan to keep from being picked on and beat up in basic training.

By that time, I had been practicing these moves for couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get to the good stuff...remember, if you've been around, my nickname was Judo Jay until I was 16 and actually learned a few tricks. In high school, I didn't do much, but I had established a reputation as someone who would go to the alley and word got around.

It didn't hurt my older brother and his best friend were real tough guys and that shadow didn't bother me. And I wasn't afraid to get my AZZ kicked now and then too, until Rusty refused to work with me unless I quit fighting. So I quit.

So here I am in basic training finding out my best new bud is a total fraud but a magnificent actor...and was amazed at how he was able to SELL his story to 60 guys, any one of which may have been able to kick both our arses, totally left us alone, and if fact, respected and tried to ingratiate their sorry selves to us.

It was quite the revelation.

He never hit or fought anyone, he just PRESENTED himself to a bunch of strangers as THE GUY in the company you don't want to frick around with ...while a few used bravado and braggadocio to project their image, he simply ACTED the part. And the non verbal communication was staggering in it's effectiveness.

In 1969, I was stationed at Newport News, VA and spent almost every weekend at Virginia Beach, Friday and Saturday night at the Jolly Roger dancing up a storm (like my boot camp buddy, I just acted the part) and all day Saturday at the Edgar Cayce center and most of Sunday at a metaphysical work shop and book store.

In 1970, I took classes at the U. of Hawaii in Folk Lore and learned of Huna Magic. The next two years after transferring to a different kind of sub, I studied in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bankok, the Philipine Islands, Okinowa and Guam.

My interest was in all things magical, folk medicine and spirituality.

I feel as if I got a pretty good education in these "foreign" cultures. The martial arts were one area I looked at...and found the mental thoughts behind each were where the real power lies.

Upon discharge in July 1972, I retired.

And didn't work any job of any significance other than to have a social life and meet some ladies. I traveled the country, worked for Amtrak for a short while, to get the railroad ID which permitted me to ride the rails for free for about a year...that and a 60 day Greyhound Bus pass, got me around.

I spent large blocks of time in San Francisco, although I couldn't tell you where Golden Gate park is...I spent time there...but mostly I was a student studying with Russell Thomas, the owner of a metaphysical book store.

I studied cults, and there were plenty of them in SF in the early 70s...l was recently surprised to learn how many people are still a part of these cults, after 40 years. Many cults changed their names and reincarnated themselves...they somehow managed to remove the giant elephant behind the plate glass windows and replace it with a gentle lamb...amazing stuff. Anyhow,

Russel Thomas had the greatest collection of arcane, esoteric, mysterious books I've ever seen anywhere. He was friends with a couple of the Beat Poets and we spent some time at the City Lights Bookstore, where, by then, most of the real Beats were gone, old and/or assumed an Emeritus status. Still I was star struck by a few. We went to LA to catch a reading of Charles Bukowski. I was like a 13 year old girl around Kim Kardashian. Anyhow,

In 1975, while a student at Golden West Community College I bumped into Joe Karbo, and we had several meetings and discussions and talked mostly about chatteling, boats and the "special" powers of the mind...don't forget, his famous book The Lazy Man's Way to Riches had that part about Dyna-Psych, which was lifted from several of the New Age people, mostly from Robert Collier.

OK. Between 1965 and 1983, I read and studied thousands of books and took many courses, many inservices because by then I was working as a social worker at a group home, actually a house parent, the social work came later. But, it was totally different than either business or mystical or golf experience..

And that is when Synergy took place

Last edited by GordonJ : February 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default THE best selling New Thought "occult" book of all time is...

Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Many of you have read it.

In the earlier editions there was the famous Page 36, where Hill gave the formula for success. A guy named Art Williams said that was all he needed, didn't even read the rest of the book, and built a billion dollar company in a little more than a decade.

Page 36 told the reader to WRITE DOWN the goal.

How many of you have written goals?

In the last decade we've done numerous surveys and it is safe to say that not one in ten of you reading this have written goals. Over at the Warrior Forum, I'd BET it is not one in 1000.

Some of you have used my Whiteboard. Some for short periods of time, like 30 days and you've seen some products develop in what is a really short period of time. Those of you that have used this method, have written a manual, a college textbook, a short course...and have used the Whiteboard to establish goals and develop a plan of action.

Writing down goals is a fundamental principle of New Thought.
Having written goals is a fundamental principle of people living in Group Homes or receiving support services from public agencies.
Written plans are the backbone of corporate America, however, they tend to muck it up with the constant meetings.

Yet, the Individual Entrepreneur, average business person, wannabee success doesn't have time and can't be bothered with writing down her goals.

HMMMM.

When I go into work mode, not as often as it should be, I work. I look at the Whiteboard and see where I am at, what I need to do and it functions as a time manager, a project manager and a motivator.

Can't goof off while on the board. It is there for everyone to see (not that anyone else will see it, but it has the effect of silent but powerful boss).

After 15 years of studying the arcane and esoteric, and 15 years of working with people with all kinds of disabilities...there was a synergy which combined the best tools from several disciplines including golf.

This synergy became the basis for the early editions of the Square One Workshops.

Every developmentally disabled individual living in a group home had a written plan of action, a goal and a team to support the effort to reach the goal.

Some smart business people also set up written tools to help their employees and business move forward. One of the best at this is Sam Carpenter, author of Work the System. Sam streamlined his business and became very effective by implementing systems which eliminated the human error of having to make decisions, and put the details of what to do IN WRITING so any trained monkey (who can read) can do the job.

Pilots have check lists. Unless they are a total idiot, they don't ignore the pre flight checklist cause WHO, really, in their right mind...wants to take a big hunk of metal up 10,000 feet with nothing but sky between him and the ground...and justs trusts that everyone has the plane in good enough shape to fly????? Well, most who have done this are dead, with a few lucky SOB exceptions.

Well, do you have a pre launch checklist for your business? Do you know if your plane can fly?

Do you have the first 90 days planned out? Written down? Do you have a clear goal written out where you can see it every day? Look at it constantly?

I'd say, most of you don't.

Yet this is a FUNDAMENTAL tool, a first step, a first cause...to get the effect you want.

It is the first law of metaphysics. KNOW what you want to manifest.

It is the IDEA and the DESIRE that Napoleon Hill writes about in the first two chapters of Think and Grow Rich.

The last couple of posts I've tried to show you MY path, which included a childhood full of religious mystery, having attended scores of different churches, by choice, my parents didn't belong to any and were glad to let me tag along with anyone in the neighborhood willing to take me...

And magical and wonderous events, like learning that Words Have Power and The Sale Begins When the Customer Says NO, to the Wheeler Points...don't as if, ask which...

to travel, study, incredible people, all to develop a little cred to tell you where these ideas came from...
in the hope

YOU

will take something useful away and make use of it...oh, what can that be?

one, the WHITEBOARD. Write down your objectives. Today.

two, Words Have Power on other people, on yourself and the prayer, meditations and passages of New Thought or Old Thought can deeply effect your circumstances. What words are you speaking?

three, in face to face situations, the non verbal communication is overpowering your spoken words...be aware.

four, IT is your life. You can choose, as shown on the SQ1, to overcome your childhood, no matter what was said to you, planted in our brain, who controlled you and what you were forced to do...

YOU can, today, overcome all obstacles and blocks that you have by concsious effort and understanding of the subconscious powers, and the natural animal instincts long since buried and unused...

IF you want to.

YOU are and what is, is. And if what is, is something you don't like, change it. YOU can.

You have power.

And you have powerful tools at your disposal to turn your life around, or continue to live the marvelous life you have...change things, do things, create things...often at breakneck speed.

There is no governor on your engine, the little one that could...except for the one you put on it, and the one you take off of it.

Last edited by GordonJ : February 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Continued...maybe a point somewhere...

Quote:
Maybe not. Could be a couple of sidebars and some wandering down a tangent path or two. This part picks up, after a quick review.
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for sharing that part of your history... There was a lot in there I didn't know!

Like you, I've had an interest in martial arts, especially the "philosophy" behind them - but unlike you, when I tried to learn some martial arts, I found it hurt too much, and went back to my armchair, and watched martial arts movies!

(Living vicariously, I believe the term is! I still fantasize about going back to learning a little more martial arts... it would be nice to progress beyond a white belt!)

I was also attracted to the tradition of honor, respect, and being humble, that you find in many of the traditional martial arts...

I've also had a fascination with cults... They scare me and fascinate me at the same time. Starting a cult is almost a science, nowadays. You just have to read the "signs" of a cult (like here). It's good to know about, so you can recognize the signs of one when you see it (and stay away)...

I did go to City Lights bookstore many years ago (in the early 1990s). I'm glad it's still around. Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who was one of the "Beats" (along with Jack Kerouac and the rest) owns City Lights, and is still around at age 92!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the "Synergy"!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old February 12, 2012, 08:48 PM

Default How To Apply Gordons -Written Goals Idea- to Get Results in 24 Hours

Thanks Gordon,

Magical Post.

Here's a F-r-e-e Phone Consult REWARD I give away to all those who want to:

Prevent Procrastination

Make Munny Quicker

Get More Done w/Less Time, work, Expense

IN FACT - this 3 by 5 - 24 Hr GOAL Setting System is SO VALUABLE I
mostly SHARE it with Entrepreneurs who order my "Time/Detail & People Management System"

BECAUSE I know they have ooodles to get done and very little time to
get everything finished.

And with my 365 day 100% munny back Guarantee - TO MY MIND - This 3 by 5 Card idea is MOST VALUABLE when COMBINED with my Write
It down Once "MEGA-Management System."

============
Lee Iococca used this when he SAVED Chrysler. Plus another 3 by 5 card
listing his top Managers GOALS. (Pretty Amazing)
============

Step I - Go to the Dollar Store and get a pack of 3 by 5 cards

Step II - Each night before you go to bed - WRITE down the top 3 most
Important - URGENT - Gotta Get it done - Jobs for the next day.

Step III - Read the card when you wake up. Put it in your pocket.
Cross off each item as you get it done.

WHY 3 Jobs?

I just shared this with a talented woman who is always behind. Too much
website work - not enough time.

SHE told me she had long TO-DO lists - pages and pages long.

THE
BRAIN
CAN'T
DEAL with
more than 3
IMPORTANT IDEAS AT A TIME.

That's it.

ALL You Need to Get Amazing Results from WRITTEN GOALS - in 24 hour BURSTS.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn

P.S. - Information Over-Load Got You Down?

I first used this (Write it down 1 time and never Skip a Detail) system to manage 800 employees. Run a 37 Mil lion dollar College Housing Department - years ago. (Now use it to juggle consulting client minutia)

The mentor who taught ME? He used this Time Management System to
manage 7000 Salesman in California.

http://archive.enchantednlp.com/products.php?id=17
Old February 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
Tina

Default Re: Continued...maybe a point somewhere...

Quote:
And that is when Synergy took place

Part Three, part three!

Synergy took place. This is where everything you'd been doing, thinking, etc., came together and you realized ...? You were able to ...?

Tina
(waiting for the next chapter)
Old February 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default Synergy...

The final installment is coming this afternoon...probably.

GordonJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Part Three, part three!

Synergy took place. This is where everything you'd been doing, thinking, etc., came together and you realized ...? You were able to ...?

Tina
(waiting for the next chapter)
Old February 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
bobmcalister

uh oh ....havent been here for a while, and found a guy who thinks he can beat me putting ?? when and where ? we will have a match play PuttOff....