SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 6, 2006, 06:02 PM
Pete Egeler

Default Okay, here's something you can jump on..

I'm doing kind of an "informal" survey of PC users.

Here's my question for you: What OS do you use on your PC?

I, as an example, still cling to my Win98. Tried 2000 & XP. Didn't care for either one of them.

Maybe I've just been using '98 too long, but for me it's a lot easier to get around when I'm looking for something I've "lost." (And, there's a lot of stuff being "lost" lately!)

Pete
Old November 6, 2006, 10:12 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Okay, here's something you can jump on..

I'm with you, Pete, when it comes to win 98 (SE in my case). I like being able to do my own deciding and troubleshooting if there's a problem instead of relying on Gate's Goons to make more of a mess (which is what happened the one time I had 3 of them try to help when I tried their 5.5 and it wouldn't uninstall or be compatible with my system).

Still, tho' have to admit 98 can't quite cut it in some ways any longer. I'd love to have a Mac with windows capability also so I don't have to lose all my programs and site stuff when I give this up (or, more likely, it finally quits on me as it's been threatening to do).

Are you finding 98 more and more limiting in what it can do with some modern stuff?

Sandi Bowman
Old November 6, 2006, 10:52 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Hi Pete,

I got a MacBook (an Apple Macintosh laptop computer) about a month ago - and I also installed Windows XP on it too! (Using something called "BootCamp" which you can download for free... But you have to buy Windows separately.) This means you have both the Macintosh OS X operating system, as well as Windows - you choose which one you want to use when you "boot up".

I quite like the Mac (very nice looking machine and operating system) - but I'm also glad I have Windows too because I have a lot of Windows software that I use...

I think I still have the "new gadget" excitement factor with this, so keeping that in mind I'll have to go with Mac/Windows XP...

- Dien
Old November 7, 2006, 12:10 AM
FirstBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Egeler View Post
I, as an example, still cling to my Win98. Tried 2000 & XP. Didn't care for either one of them.
Maybe I've just been using '98 too long, but for me it's a lot easier to get around when I'm looking for something I've "lost." (And, there's a lot of stuff being "lost" lately!)
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the Q.

Just like Dien, My PC has Multiple OSes on it, only difference is that I have a PC.

Currently, When I boot up, I can choose between Linux (Mandrake Linux 2005 Limited Edition) and Windows (XP Pro)

I'm on Win XP the majority of the time, but prefer Linux.

I've HAD 4 OSes on the PC at one time before:
--------
Example:
--------
Drive C: Win '98
Drive D: Win 2k
Drive E: Win XP
Drive F: Red Hat Linux (then switched to Lycoris Desktop Linux, then to Mandrake)

That was Basically the 'Booting Order' that You would choose from after
Firing Up Your PC.

Fun Stuff for Techies Like Me... haha

Christopher
Old November 7, 2006, 12:27 AM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Egeler View Post

Pete

I would assume you ask this Q so you can best design your sites for the majority of viewers??????
If this is the case, ask your sites visitors without them really knowing.
goto
www.statcounter.com
try their free service and you will get the answers that you are looking for.
Jason
Old November 7, 2006, 12:35 AM

Imho, Windows XP is wayyy better than 98.

Takes a bit more space but is much more stable too. I've never had those blue screens on XP.

I have Windows XP (home edition) on all my computers right now.

But I think my next laptop is going to be a Mac too.
Old November 7, 2006, 02:02 AM
MichaelRoss

Pete,

Thanks for Asking.

Got another computer about ten months back. Was asked which OS I wanted and I chose Win98SE. So that made 3 computers all with Win98SE.

Michael Ross
Old November 7, 2006, 03:23 AM
Phil

Default Re: Okay, here's something you can jump on.. HOT!!! Computer Topic!

If you want a HOT!!! Computer Topic.

Do some Googling all about AMD vs. Intel...

There are some Great consumer Lessons and Many very interesting Debates, Video's etc. on the Topic...

Here's just One Fun Video example...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_133...l?redir=CPSW51
http://enterpriseevent.amd.com/amd_05e4/dcdvideo/

Overall in general...

It's just like how some consumers Prefer buying American vehicles vs. the Best in Japanese vehicles.

The Great news about all the AMD vs. Intel Debates is that...

Computers are Dropping in price Big time!

Loaded computers Are and will become more and more Disposable...

And Affordable with a Life of approx. 2-3 years...

Full featured ultra brite Big screen Desktop Laptops for about $600 bucks come 2008 or so...

I'm in the process of buying a few at incredible prices just a little bit higher in today's market...

Who knows, maybe rent a Laptop by the Hour Locally through Joint Ventures and mobile marketing!

Phil
Old November 7, 2006, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Okay, here's something you can jump on.. HOT!!! Computer Topic!

I heard some time back that google was working on a $100 laptop...

And even though the competition is intense in the computer market, its very easy to come up with new twists.

For eg: I've been using my laptop as a desktop since quite some time now. And I hate it that the screen is so close to the keyboard. Very bad for neck.

And the solution is so easy - I'd had a chat with a mechanical engineer friend of mine and she came up with a solution: just add sliders to the screen so that it can be pulled up.

Not sure why someone like Dell doesn't come up with such laptops...
Old November 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
Sandi Bowman

Here's another idea to get around the keyboard to monitor problem for laptops: just buy one of those plug in portable, either fold out or projector type, keyboards and plug them in. If there's a plug in available on the laptop, it'd be a cinch. The foldable ones are about the size of a zip disk when folded so easy to add it to a pocket or purse...or a little adhesive pocket on the laptop lid.

With the keyboard separate, you can place the monitor so it's easiest on the eyes (and avoid glare) without worrying about keyboard accessibility.

Sandi Bowman