SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 27, 2015, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default You are one SPECIAAL dude Don.

HOLY BATMAN...litttle ol you...

can do atha??? All by y0urself???

You the man Don, You the man.

GorDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post

HOLY CAMOLY....what Negativity! I can't believe it!

"First off...."dealers or customers see you simply wipe on and wipe off, they feel you haven't worked for the money. Yes, the headlight got cleaned, but the perception is what allows one to charge more.

I DO NOT ASK THE LOT OWNERS TO COME AND WATCH ME! I simply ask if I could clean ONE Headlight on ONE car. I use my "Secret Stuff" and go back to the Office and ask the owner to COME SEE WHAT I'VE DONE!

He does NOT KNOW if I've used a BUFFER or SANDER of whatever....all he knows is....YUP! THAT HEADLIGHT SURE LOOKS A LOT BRIGHTER THAN THE OTHER!

Gee Willikers! It's called "SalesmanShip"! If you allow Lot Owners to SEE what yer doin'.....their FIRST instinct is....."Hey! Why do I need THIS guy, I kin do dis myself!"

Excuse em waa.....THIS is for LOT OWNERS ......NOT vehicle Owners!

Hey....again....we're NOT talking here about "ROCKET SCIENCE"! If the guy who's gonna PAY ME (owner of the Lot).....sees the headlight I cleaned AND....IT LOOKS CLEANED AND BETTER THAN THE ONE I DIDN'T CLEAN...he doesn't give a whoopy fizz about "RESTORATION"....he's ONLY looking for a way he can;
SELL his vehicles....FASTER.....and for MORE MONEY! He doesn't give a "Rats Butt" about how long the clean headlight lasts!!!!!!

We are NOT trying to sell to OWNERS of VEHICLES! We're selling to Used Car Lot Owners!...which is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME!

A guy in my town sells "RESTORATION OF HEADLIGHTS"! He charges $60! and does a BUFFER thingee! This is NOT the "Market" I'm taking about!

I am NOT interested in "setting up shop on a street corner, to sell to vehicle OWNERS!"

My "Target Market" is.....USED CAR LOT OWNERS who's ONLY interest is;
SELLING VEHICLES FASTER
and
FOR MORE MONEY!

Heck.....if the Headlights turn into mud a week AFTER car buyers get their cars home.....IT'S UP TO THEM TO HIRE SOMEONE TO "PROPERLY RESTORE"!

We're talking here about TWO (2) different Markets!

I have never had any interest in Satisfying CAR OWNERS! That's atotally DIRRERENT Market! My Market is satisfying used car lot OWNERS! IF.....you can see the difference!

Don Alm

Also.....whenever I've gone into ANY Used Car Lot and asked the OWNER if he has any cars where previous owners were SMOKERS.....they've ALWAYS (on a lot of 10 cars or more) given me TWO or more.....for which I took my can of "Fog" (cost me $3.50ea) .....filled the interior and a few minutes later...open the doors and WHALA.....NO MORE SMOKY SMELL! You Kiddin' ME! They QUICKLY GIVE ME $35 PER VEHICLE! If you can't do this for TEN cars a day.....you ain't tryin'!
Old March 27, 2015, 08:26 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Headlight Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Since you've done interior / touch-up in the past I don't need to tell you the competition at used car lots is huge. And if headlights is all you do, you are very limited b/c almost every vendor offers this service along w/ 2-3 other things. And managers have told me vendors come in several times a week. I'm talking about servicing new car dealers used inventory. I've never had much luck w/ the corner used car lots. They seem to do a lot of that stuff in-house. But you don't know until you ask.

I don't do much retail but the need is there. Just take a look at the lights in any parking lot.
Hi Boris,

Don lives in a small city of about 20,000 people. The dynamics of used car lots might be different in small cities compare to the "big smoke." So, if there is a difference, that might account for it.

Sometimes small cities can mean big opportunities. I'm thinking of the example of Walmart.

When Walmart started, Kmart and other similar stores were already established in the big cities. However, they didn't bother with the smaller country cities and towns.

Sam Walton saw the opportunity, and the rest is history. Now, Walmart is much bigger than any of those which started before it did. The reason why is because in the small cities and towns, they had no similar competition!

So, don't discount those places…

Who knows what other overlooked opportunities could be there in smaller cities and towns?

Best wishes,

Dien
Old March 27, 2015, 08:34 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Perceived value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
I have never had any interest in Satisfying CAR OWNERS! That's atotally DIRRERENT Market! My Market is satisfying used car lot OWNERS! IF.....you can see the difference!
I think Don has a good point. Car owners and used car lots are two quite different markets.

As for which is better… Hey, that might depend on the person.

If you're not sure which to do… Try both! See which works best for you…

Best wishes,

Dien
Old March 28, 2015, 11:42 AM
ron lafuddy

Default Re: Perceived value

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
IF the dealers or customers see you simply wipe on and wipe off, they feel you haven't worked for the money. Yes, the headlight got cleaned, but the perception is what allows one to charge more.

Bud Riggs perfected the 3 minute job, but, at the end, he went back to sanding, tripled his price (60 bux) and had no drop in demand.

Also, it is presentation and knowledge of the different types of plastics and how they were treated, so, you could clean a headlight, but, to RESTORE it, then sanding is done.

But, you test your market. I wouldn't do dealers in my area, prefer a little biz card on the parked vehicle and a phone call.

And, as posted above, very few people actively want this, but if you bring it to their attention, then you get jobs.

Wipe on wipe off chemicals could also permanently streak the plastic if it has even the smallest of chips or stonemarks.

Gordon

I won't get into the dealer or retail argument here. I think both have merit
My dealer experience is limited and deals with another product, so there.

On the retail side, using Bud Riggs info, I fixed headlights for neighbors
and people they (the neighbors) referred. I've walked a few parking lots just
to see what would happen.

The opportunity is plentiful. Some want it, some don't care.

For anyone looking to get into this as a "quick moneymaker", pay attention to
Gordon's observations in this thread.

All plastic lenses are NOT the same, therefore results will vary.

Also, if you are fixing headlights outdoors and not in a controlled environment
weather conditions: temperature, wind speed & direction, humidity levels, sunny
or cloudy, will have an affect on your results. Doesn't matter what headlight
cleaning product you are using.

Customer expectations is another variable that you need to be aware of BEFORE you
start fixing their lens.

There are others.

That said, with the right approach, I think that headlight cleaning could be set up
as one of Dien's "absentee owner" businesses.

Ron
Old March 29, 2015, 12:04 PM
Robert J.

Ron, good commentary ...

However, I'm interested in how/why you think this would word for absentee ownership.

Seems to me to be something that would NOT work for that approach. Curious to here your reasoning ... I think I am too limited in my thinking on a lot of this stuff.
Old March 29, 2015, 01:55 PM
ron lafuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. View Post
Ron, good commentary ...

However, I'm interested in how/why you think this would word for absentee ownership.

Seems to me to be something that would NOT work for that approach. Curious to here your reasoning ... I think I am too limited in my thinking on a lot of this stuff.

Robert,

Bud Riggs said he made thousands of dollars sitting by the roadside
cleaning headlights.

I never tried it that way, but based on my experience, I believe he did.

I would set up retirees with the knowledge, sauce, location and banner.
There are tons of retirees looking to make a few bucks on the side.

A few of these set up around town would give me a nice side income, while I
pursue other interests.

Ron
Old March 29, 2015, 07:25 PM
Robert J.

Interesting thoughts, Ron.

I do see how your idea could produce some results ... a win-win for those involved. Some spending cash without pressure ...
Old March 30, 2015, 10:36 AM
Andy

Another idea is to set up multiple sites. At this point sell the biz to the working partner and set up another site. Could be a quick $2500 sale. After they throw in the towel (and they will) set that site up and sell it again. Could work.
Old April 2, 2015, 08:21 AM
Robert J.

That is a great idea, Andy. Turn-over profits!