SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 15, 2017, 12:57 AM

Default You're absolutely right...

...my wheel spinning is making ME sick!

There is a LOT of thinking to be done, now I have a clear guide

Thank you for highlighting key gaps in my thinking.

I'm grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Yea, I'm seeing your "misguided optimism".

So, first this:

It appears you want to chattel, so how many bike shops, music stores, antique and collectible shops, used appliance stores, have you actually gone into and looked around and introduced yourself to the owner?

I don't see a clear view from the rooftop? Only a cloudy or foggy idea. It doesn't seem to be clearly defined. Are you trying to chattel? Barter?

What is the end financial goal here?

So right up front, maybe you have to define what your outcome is going to be. Say, one year from today, what income would you want, and HOW is it going to come to you? What does your work day look like?

Can you sketch out what a month, a year from now, might look like? What would a typical day be? What would you be DOING? Just putting deals together? With who?...

I think you need to THINK your project through, or take the DO IT route and hope for the best.

No right or wrong, but there is effective effort and there is wheel spinning, and Harvey Brody doesn't get into wheel spinning. Just sayin.

Gordon

Last edited by unpinkpanther : April 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Silly typo
Old April 15, 2017, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default Part 5, the gears (modified)

So, in terms of Harvey Brody thinking.

A- View from the rooftop. Flight Plan. Preflight checklist. Course correction.

B. People. Work with only #1 type. Avoid 2, 3 and 4s.

C. Shift to higher gears.

Today, at last talk, Harvey was operating on a 6th or 7th gear level.

I may get these a little different from what is in the course, but feel free to make your own gear levels, OK?

First gear: YOU. Selling curb painting door to door. You selling and providing the service.

Second gear: You selling curb painting, others do the work.

Third gear: You let someone sell, and someone else do. You MANAGE.

Fourth gear: You replicate, you let others manage, in different locations. You leverage the management.

Fifth gear: Toll Position. You stand between supply and demand.

Sixth gear: Toll Control: You own the supply. Leverage.

7th....interesting and rare: You have a double sided sword, being a conduit between supply and demand, and getting both sides to pay you and you keep getting a % of both ends. RARE, but very powerful.

Now over the years, I've talked to guys who say they have a ONE gear thing, that is a TOLL Booth. And they let others do the gears. A popular artist might only create, and let others do the mundane and she collects a royalty.

As part of an analysis of a business and included in the THINKING stage is the potential for shifting gears at an accelerated rate. HOW fast can you go from the guy painting curbs to the guy selling a BizOP on painting curbs to the supplier of all things curb painting?

Many successful Entrepreneurs work hard to get their businesses to a higher gear, few PLAN it out in the start-up. Sometimes, the gears shift you, ala Mark Zuckerberg.

Gordon Jay

PS. Well, that's all for now, feel free to ask questions, post comments and/or just let this thread roll off the page, whatever you want. I feel I've answered the original question.
Old April 16, 2017, 02:12 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Part 4.

Quote:
Harvey is EXTREMELY cautious about the people he deals with, and I think you should be too.

There are times, when most of us, have gone against our guts and worked with someone we just "knew" we shouldn't.
Hi Gordon,

Sorry for my slow reply... I have family visiting town over Easter, so I've been spending some time with them...!

Who you work with is incredibly important. Are they trustworthy?

When you get into big trouble, it's often because of the people you're working with...

Harvey's 3 types of people are...

Number 1s: the good people to work with. Basically honest, and will do what they say they will.

Number 2s: these are the people who want a piece of the reward, but don't want to work to help you reach the goal. The way I see it, these are the "freeloader" types...

Number 3s: These are those with a "hidden agenda." They may say all the right things, but in reality, they have something else in mind...

I try to follow Harvey's example, and only work with people who I feel are "trustworthy" types of people...

I've come across another type of person. This is the person who so wants to do something, he "fools himself." That is, he convinces himself that he can do something or fulfil something which he can't really do. In the process, he also fools you... Though he's not doing it "dishonestly," since he's actually fooled himself into believing it (because he so wants it to be true)... This person can screw you up, too (though it is unintentional).

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 16, 2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old April 16, 2017, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default Just one man's way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Sorry for my slow reply... I have family visiting town over Easter, so I've been spending some time with them...!

Who you work with is incredibly important. Are they trustworthy?

When you get into big trouble, it's often because of the people you're working with...

Harvey's 3 types of people are...

Number 1s: the good people to work with. Basically honest, and will do what they say they will.

Number 2s: these are the people who want a piece of the reward, but don't want to work to help you reach the goal. The way I see it, these are the "freeloader" types...

Number 3s: These are those with a "hidden agenda." They may say all the right things, but in reality, they have something else in mind...

I try to follow Harvey's example, and only work with people who I feel are "trustworthy" types of people...

I've come across another type of person. This is the person who so wants to do something, he "fools himself." That is, he convinces himself that he can do something or fulfil something which he can't really do. In the process, he also fools you... Though he's not doing it "dishonestly," since he's actually fooled himself into believing it (because he so wants it to be true)... This person can screw you up, too (though it is unintentional).

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien,

I would like to point out, this thread was an answer to the email, mainly, so I don't get another one. Rather post here than respond to similar questions.

I was asked specifically about Harvey Brody's thinking, and I gave my interpretation/translation.

Also, we lost any "Warriors" with all this thinking stuff. This HARD thought process is behind a guy with over 55 years of continuous success. While others have gone to jail, been fined, went bankrupt, quit the business, became gurus or whatever, Harvey keeps on keeping on.

But he is not for everyone. Nor is hard work, effort, setting goals or even having a focus.

Harvey Brody represents to me, ADVANCED techniques and methods. Licensing, which we have extensive threads on in the archives, is simply one of the best businesses to be in. Toll positions are hard to beat. Yet, few do it or even know how.

As for application of Harvey's thinking, he helped me to secure a very sweet ongoing contract which paid almost $6,000.00 a Month for 10 hours a week of my time. BECAUSE I did the thinking first. Not my usual style.

Using and applying what Harvey teaches becomes easier, like everything, the more often you put it to use.

But still, it is only one's man thinking, feel free to choose whomever you want to follow or listen to.

GordonJ
Old April 16, 2017, 05:19 PM

Lightbulb Is this really true?

Quote:
But still, it is only one's man thinking, feel free to choose whomever you want to follow or listen to.

GordonJ

I speak for myself, but I'm a bit shocked many people aren't jumping in on this thread.

I don't see this as just about Harvey Brody. Indeed, Brody can be seen as a "metaphor" for the "secret" of success:

PRACTICAL, LOGICAL THINKING

Success isn't "out there" in some new shiny new formula. It starts with a clear view of where you want to go and BACKWARD-CHAINING to where you are today, finding and closing gaps in one's thinking.

I find this thread very useful. And the good thing about the Internet, this is up for a while so a lot more people will see it and LEARN from it.

Thank you Gordon
Old April 16, 2017, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default Here is THE problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
I speak for myself, but I'm a bit shocked many people aren't jumping in on this thread.

I don't see this as just about Harvey Brody. Indeed, Brody can be seen as a "metaphor" for the "secret" of success:

PRACTICAL, LOGICAL THINKING

Success isn't "out there" in some new shiny new formula. It starts with a clear view of where you want to go and BACKWARD-CHAINING to where you are today, finding and closing gaps in one's thinking.

I find this thread very useful. And the good thing about the Internet, this is up for a while so a lot more people will see it and LEARN from it.

Thank you Gordon

As a guy, who for 25 years, asked people what they wanted, and found, to my surprise and chagrin...

too many, way too many...

Don't know.

It has always been this way. For centuries. But in modern times, say from WWII to today, the options and possibilities have exploded far beyond the choices of two generations ago.

There was a time when the craft/skill/experience would stay within a family for generations. Easily find farmers going back 3, 4 or more generations. Now there was a time when a young farmer didn't have that many options, but still, he/she could escape the farm if that is what they WANTED.

Today, just in making a few bux category, there are more ways than one can count.

Practical, logical thinking has NEVER been in the minds of the masses, we are emotional beings, and thinking was reserved for the educated classes for millennia.

See, even having a clear view of where you want to go, and having the rungs thought out, is the first part, climbing the rungs...

well that is the other part. ACTIVITY. And ADJUSTMENT. On the POA, I identified the 7 most common exits on the road to achievement. All the way to the stopping 3 feet from the gold. Quitting on the one yard line.

Whatever metaphor or example works. So, one needs to identify if their thinking is not on track, but they must monitor and be aware of the next exit they could face on their highway.

There are and always will be the small % of success, which has the JUST DO IT approach, and because success came to them that way, they have a tendency to teach, preach and talk along that train of thought.

A macro view across decades, and general populations, shows the just do it crowd is a very small group whereas the Planners/Doer/ADJUSTERS will have quicker, and more sustaining success.

Sometimes a guy just gets lucky, right place/right time...but he can't believe it and tends to give himself too much credit.

Know the chain of activity is going to be broken or detoured, and one of the exits will be taken by (probably) most people.

GordonJ