SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 15, 2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default Doubt if there is ONE must read, which covers it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePT View Post
Gordon, what magazines can you recommend to someone read to following business trends/opportunities?

I would like to follow a good magazine to keep the eye on business trends and get some ideas, in particularly on small business.

Thanks.

Inc., Entrepreneur, Bloomberg Business, WIRED, Small Business Trends, Fast Company.

I advise one read everything regarding THEIR business, so trade pubs are probably more useful than magazines are. Then read what interests you, even if it has nothing to do with business.

Gordon
Old March 15, 2021, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Ask me in March, cause April gets busy.

Thanks Gordon.

MikePT

Last edited by MikePT : March 15, 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old March 23, 2021, 08:42 AM

Lightbulb Thankfully I can slip this in before Busy April...

Hey Gordon:

Here is the question

Step by step, which specific eBay filters do you use to land at "opportunity pages" like the ones you shared in the recent Skip Rosell/Chattel thread?

Let me explain:

Obviously from previous posts, I know you search "Sold Listings" a LOT, correct?

Assuming you were teaching a 5-year-old, where would be the "Start Here" step, after "First, visit eBay.com"

Do you input a keyword first?

Do you start with a price range in mind?

Do you select/ignore "Auction" or "Buy It Now" (and why?)

Where do you go next after landing on the "opportunity page(s)"?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Got questions?

Think I might be able to help?

Ask now. Next month is full, lots to do, and if the weather breaks at all, even more than normal.

As many of you know (if you've been here for awhile), my answers usually have more questions than actual answers. I try to dig deeper into what lies behind, beneath and below the question.

So, here you go. And get this, it's FREE too (I don't take money anymore for my time, but I give it away as I want).

Gordon
Old March 23, 2021, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Read the new thread, I am a one trick pony, but first, HERE

Before even turning on your computer, one must start with

A PLAN (ARE YOU SURPRISED?)

And an evaluation, or analysis, whatever you want to call it, an inventory or list but you start with what you have (assets), where you are at and where you want to go.

Take Chatteling. The goal is to make money. How much does one start with? What additional assets besides cash on hand also exists, such as copywriting or marketing skills or experience.

By far and away the question asked most often is: What do I buy? And my answer remains, as it has for the last 30 years...it isn't about the WHAT, it is all about DEMAND and supply.

A better question is HOW MUCH profit IS in IT, whatever the IT is? And we can only know that from what the current market tells us, so we keep an eye and awareness on FINISHED/COMPLETED transactions, on eBay they do it for you so beautifully, and you know what is actually being exchanged.

For a beginner, it might be helpful to look around your place and SEE what things you have laying around, and WHY you have them? What would you buy again, today, if the thing broke or was taken? How much would you pay?

Then maybe hobbies, I once spent thousands on the game of golf, and today, just hearing the word makes me cringe, such has been my parade of life. I also worked in the largest chain of used golf equipment which bought and sold used golf clubs, which aided to may already extensive knowledge of the game and equipment.

So, on my asset lists might be golf. Today, NO. But at one time, I made a lot of money in that market. I learned long before there were TV shows about PAWN shops, got my Chatteling start in Hawaii with Honolulu Pawn shops, and was always amazed with how these guys came up with VALUES or what they would pay or lend for an item, knowing if they had to sell it, what the profit would be.

On the TV shows, we saw they would often call in EXPERTS, they had a NETWORK of people who could provide them with knowledge they lacked. So, if someone brings in a pocket watch, they could call in the guy who knew what the market value is.

For me, that is the first place I go, eBay, to see any given market VALUE, on almost anything, because of those completed/sold listings, and especially look for number of bids and once I see it wasn't just 2 or 3 in a bidding war, if there were dozens of different bidders, I see DEMAND, AND then go to "similar listings" and then to the marketplaces, and search for that item FOR SALE. Be it Craigslist, or Facebook Market place or local buy and sell groups.

I know there is PROFIT to be made in RV'S, both the kind you drive, or the ones you PULL, and today, I have seen many of these spring up in back yards, my grandfather lived in one on my Aunt and Uncles property for years, with today's uncertainty, they make nice guest houses, or when the kids move back in and want their own space...or

even if to be used for their original purpose, to go camping or to travel and take your hotel with you. Today there is pent up want/need to get out and travel, so I KNOW that these small canned ham type RV's are going to boom beginning next month, and BIKES will be in demand too.

My advice, as always, seems to be; start where you are at with what you have...and if you have 500 to invest in buying and selling, then get your feet wet with smaller transactions just to get a feel for the time, effort and slop and mess involved. And build your networks, so, when the time comes to get advice, you have someone who can tell you if there is PROFIT in it first...

which is where I start. How much PROFIT is in the item and how much can I get out of it, A) if I want a FAST SELL (always for me) vs B) do I want to hold out for market value? Some like to store things, I don't.

To begin, look around the room, what do you see, now spend an hour searching eBay for SOLD/COMPLETED listings of your "stuff" and you will quickly discover how valuable a tool it is for the Chatteler.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Hey Gordon:

Here is the question

Step by step, which specific eBay filters do you use to land at "opportunity pages" like the ones you shared in the recent Skip Rosell/Chattel thread?

Let me explain:

Obviously from previous posts, I know you search "Sold Listings" a LOT, correct?

Assuming you were teaching a 5-year-old, where would be the "Start Here" step, after "First, visit eBay.com"

Do you input a keyword first?

Do you start with a price range in mind?

Do you select/ignore "Auction" or "Buy It Now" (and why?)

Where do you go next after landing on the "opportunity page(s)"?

Thank you

Last edited by GordonJ : March 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old March 23, 2021, 04:16 PM

Lightbulb Brilliant!

Dear Gordon:

Thank you for answering questions I didn't even know I had!

Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Before even turning on your computer, one must start with

A PLAN (ARE YOU SURPRISED?)

And an evaluation, or analysis, whatever you want to call it, an inventory or list but you start with what you have (assets), where you are at and where you want to go.

Take Chatteling. The goal is to make money. How much does one start with? What additional assets besides cash on hand also exists, such as copywriting or marketing skills or experience.

By far and away the question asked most often is: What do I buy? And my answer remains, as it has for the last 30 years...it isn't about the WHAT, it is all about DEMAND and supply.

A better question is HOW MUCH profit IS in IT, whatever the IT is? And we can only know that from what the current market tells us, so we keep an eye and awareness on FINISHED/COMPLETED transactions, on eBay they do it for you so beautifully, and you know what is actually being exchanged.

For a beginner, it might be helpful to look around your place and SEE what things you have laying around, and WHY you have them? What would you buy again, today, if the thing broke or was taken? How much would you pay?

Then maybe hobbies, I once spent thousands on the game of golf, and today, just hearing the word makes me cringe, such has been my parade of life. I also worked in the largest chain of used golf equipment which bought and sold used golf clubs, which aided to may already extensive knowledge of the game and equipment.

So, on my asset lists might be golf. Today, NO. But at one time, I made a lot of money in that market. I learned long before there were TV shows about PAWN shops, got my Chatteling start in Hawaii with Honolulu Pawn shops, and was always amazed with how these guys came up with VALUES or what they would pay or lend for an item, knowing if they had to sell it, what the profit would be.

On the TV shows, we saw they would often call in EXPERTS, they had a NETWORK of people who could provide them with knowledge they lacked. So, if someone brings in a pocket watch, they could call in the guy who knew what the market value is.

For me, that is the first place I go, eBay, to see any given market VALUE, on almost anything, because of those completed/sold listings, and especially look for number of bids and once I see it wasn't just 2 or 3 in a bidding war, if there were dozens of different bidders, I see DEMAND, AND then go to "similar listings" and then to the marketplaces, and search for that item FOR SALE. Be it Craigslist, or Facebook Market place or local buy and sell groups.

I know there is PROFIT to be made in RV'S, both the kind you drive, or the ones you PULL, and today, I have seen many of these spring up in back yards, my grandfather lived in one on my Aunt and Uncles property for years, with today's uncertainty, they make nice guest houses, or when the kids move back in and want their own space...or

even if to be used for their original purpose, to go camping or to travel and take your hotel with you. Today there is pent up want/need to get out and travel, so I KNOW that these small canned ham type RV's are going to boom beginning next month, and BIKES will be in demand too.

My advice, as always, seems to be; start where you are at with what you have...and if you have 500 to invest in buying and selling, then get your feet wet with smaller transactions just to get a feel for the time, effort and slop and mess involved. And build your networks, so, when the time comes to get advice, you have someone who can tell you if there is PROFIT in it first...

which is where I start. How much PROFIT is in the item and how much can I get out of it, A) if I want a FAST SELL (always for me) vs B) do I want to hold out for market value? Some like to store things, I don't.

To begin, look around the room, what do you see, now spend an hour searching eBay for SOLD/COMPLETED listings of your "stuff" and you will quickly discover how valuable a tool it is for the Chatteler.

Gordon
Old March 23, 2021, 05:54 PM

Default MIKE - What About Birthdays & Anniversary Gifts?

Thanks Mike,

I have a Jewelry Making Client (Wife Designs/Husband Sells) Who Makes Millions Selling Expensive Jewelry to His/her Harvard ClassMates List.

Every Year they get a Copy of the Yearbook.
And Rent the University List.

Your Jewelry is Much cheaper.

But The REASON WHY his Clients BUY over and over.

Is
PAIN
AVOIDANCE.

He has all of their Wives Birthdays and Anniversary Dates.

Emails and Phone Calls JUST Before the Poor SOB
is about to GO In The Dog House.

CAN YOU OFFER A Ethical BRIBE of a Report or Booklet
About Taking Care of Jewelry.

OR Fixing the Clasps or Replacing the fastener yourself. TO Get Your Past Buyers to Share their B-Days and Anniversary Dates.

HOT REPEAT BUYERS Should Be Your Priority.

ALSO.

I just Spoke to a Lady in VEGAS who owns an Advertising Specialties Biz.

She is Selling MATCHING COLOR Jewelry AND Face Masks.

I
Just
Met
a
Woman who bought 200.00 of food in Whole Foods Grocery Store.

Her Mask, Eyelashes, Shoes, Finger nails AND Earrings Were ALL
The Same Shade of GREEN.

2nd OLDER Woman - Had Matching TigerStripe Shoes AND FaceMask.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn
Old March 24, 2021, 03:07 AM

I'm not Gordon, but I wanna share my opinion. I honestly prefer to read Business Insider and Forbes because their articles are usually very informative and unbiased. I discovered there many things about the current business trends in various fields, including small business.
Old March 25, 2021, 06:37 AM

Moreover, Business Insider provides a lot of interesting information about business data security. For example, I have read an interesting article there about the modern anti-fraud solutions that eventually helped me protect my own business.

I had a really bad experience with some dishonest clients who were trying to produce some fraudulent schemes. In order to protect my business, I've successfully implemented KYB software that minimized any fraud risks in my company. Honestly, I never thought that a brief article could be that useful. So yeah, Business Insider would be the right choice.

Last edited by Dien Rice : March 25, 2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old March 25, 2021, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Thank You Glenn. Great thoughts.

Gold.
Pure fuel.

How easy is it to keep track of birthdays and anniversaries for any business? Dirt simple, cheap software, an email and WHALA VOILA BANG BAM, money pours in.

I am amazed by how many restaurants and mom and pop shops DON'T have some sort of a birthday/anniversary thing set up. How simple for anyone in the jewelry or gift business to implement this too. You gave us all a whole bunch of FREE money with this one idea, so many thanks.

Next month, when I launch my new offline business, I will be incorporating this into my sales pitch, it came at the exact right time Glenn.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Gordon

PS. SCI jewelry division sent a little FREE box of chocolates (and an offer) to their jewelry buyers, I know they too, made millions from this thoughtful gesture. And everyone has a birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Mike,

I have a Jewelry Making Client (Wife Designs/Husband Sells) Who Makes Millions Selling Expensive Jewelry to His/her Harvard ClassMates List.

Every Year they get a Copy of the Yearbook.
And Rent the University List.

Your Jewelry is Much cheaper.

But The REASON WHY his Clients BUY over and over.

Is
PAIN
AVOIDANCE.

He has all of their Wives Birthdays and Anniversary Dates.

Emails and Phone Calls JUST Before the Poor SOB
is about to GO In The Dog House.

CAN YOU OFFER A Ethical BRIBE of a Report or Booklet
About Taking Care of Jewelry.

OR Fixing the Clasps or Replacing the fastener yourself. TO Get Your Past Buyers to Share their B-Days and Anniversary Dates.

HOT REPEAT BUYERS Should Be Your Priority.

ALSO.

I just Spoke to a Lady in VEGAS who owns an Advertising Specialties Biz.

She is Selling MATCHING COLOR Jewelry AND Face Masks.

I
Just
Met
a
Woman who bought 200.00 of food in Whole Foods Grocery Store.

Her Mask, Eyelashes, Shoes, Finger nails AND Earrings Were ALL
The Same Shade of GREEN.

2nd OLDER Woman - Had Matching TigerStripe Shoes AND FaceMask.

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn
Old March 29, 2021, 04:19 PM

I believe that cryptocurrency is a bubble that will end up blowing up.