SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
hartrealm

Default Ideas for putting together a local investor meeting?

Searching For Ideas On Investor Meeting

In a quick conversation with a couple other local real estate investors, one mentioned that it would be nice if a few of us (landlords/investors) could get together for a meeting once in a while to trade ideas and maybe learn a thing or two from one another.

Based on that conversation, I decided it might be a good idea to just go ahead and arrange a time and place to have such a meeting, so I did. (A local buffet style restaurant, smallest private room fits 35 people, only $25 to reserve … Buffet Breakfast is $8.30 per person … all reasonable).

Come to find out, this meeting is something that a lot of people in the area are interested in. Within a week or so, a friend and I have already spoken to about 20 people who say they would like to attend.

I’m guessing this number will probably double by “meeting time” (3 weeks from now).

We talk, we eat, we network.

With as many people as we’re now expecting, there will have to be some kind of “organization” to this meeting rather than just having a “helter skelter” type of get together. So here I am wondering?

1. What exactly should my “agenda” consist of? Deals people want, deals people have, common problems we all have, solutions to common problems, experiences with local contractors, etc.
2. How do I keep it “informal” and yet at the same time maintain a sense of order? (I am NOT a speaker by any means … I’m actually uncomfortable with the whole idea of getting up in front of a crowd of 3 or 4 … 30-50 might just give me a heart attack! Whoa is me … but the potential for “good things to come of this” seems endless)
3. In the future, how do you bring in the occasional “expert” speaker without turning the meeting into a “pitchfest”?

I plan on having a simple “member form” to get information as to who is attending exactly and what their preferences are in terms of properties / specialties, etc. (wholesalers, contractors, long term buyers, rehabbers, etc.)

In terms of advertising the meeting(s), I’m considering sending out a press release to the local papers about the meeting. Also looking at the possibility of calling all the “rental” ads in the local paper to invite them to the meeting as well.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this could be advantageous in a number of ways. Possibly start something here and then as it progresses and grows … use the “cookie cutter” approach to do this in other small cities around the country to increase our “buying power” and avail ourselves to discounts we otherwise would not have as a “one man” operation (as most of us are).

I know there are other investor groups out there, but most seem to be in the larger metropolitan areas. I’m guessing there’s a lot of opportunity for the smaller community groups like the one I’m looking to put together here. I'm excited about the potential!
Old March 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Here are some ideas...

Heartrealm,

Thanks for ASKing about... Network Meetings.

These Investors... are they full time investors - or - people with other professions/careers who do a bit of investing?

If the later then one thing you could have is a brief into from each attendee...

"My names Joe Bloggs and I run a print shop in SuburbName and can handle businesses cards, flyers and other printing needs."

This could be done while all people are seated and breakfast is being brought out - or prepared - or even eaten. Each person in turns, stands up and gives out their one sentence intro.

Also, each person's name and intro details and contact details could be placed on a sheet of paper which is photocopied and handed to each attendee.

Along a similar line... each person can hand you a handful of business cards - say 20 to 30. You place these into something like an Index Card Box which contains dividers. Each car has its own section. This box can be Flipped through by other members and they can take a card as they see the need for contacting a person who offers what they need.

As for speakers... you have a room full of people with experiences to share. You can have them answer a simple question... how did you get into X, what do you like about being a X, any experiences you can share which are either funny or teach a lesson (and what the lesson is).

The biggest Sales Pitchers will probably be photocopier and office machine salesmen, ad salesmen and insurance salesmen. Don't let them take the Spotlight to share their experiences otherwise it will become a pitchfest.

Officeworker/investors and fulltime investors are likely not to pitch anything.

Hope this helps.

Michael Ross
Old March 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
hartrealm

Smile Re: Ideas for putting together a local investor meeting?

Wow, love it, great ideas! Simple, to the point, gets others involved right away and provides an opportunity for all to be recognized! Yes yes yes ... my anxiety level is lower, my excitement is higher Cool!
Old March 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

Default Love it! An example of....

"READY - FIRE - AIM!"

Get an idea....SET IT UP....then wonder how to do it!

Beautiful!

Most people....Get an Idea...then spend forever on "Research" and "Wondering HOW to do it"!

YOU...grabbed the bull by the horns...closed your eyes and went out and did it!....hoping that things will fall in place.

I've done this most of my life and what usually happens is...

YOU GET STARTED in theprogram. Someone adds something to your "idea" or you get additional "ideas" for promoting it...etc.

People like to...."JUMP ON A TRAIN THAT IS ALREADY MOVING"!

This means that...the Engine is OK....the Tracks are OK...everything is OK! Th e"thing" is MOVING! It's not, "Stuck at the station".

Now...it's simply a matter of, "getting people on board a MOVING train!"

So...you fumble around for your first few meetings. So...you don't really have your "act together"!....so what?

Just keep the thing "moving" and you WILL "pick up steam"!

Don Alm
Ben dere don dat
Old March 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
hartrealm

Default Re: Ideas for putting together a local investor meeting?

Thanks for the encouragement Don. I've always been that guy who "researched" forever ... maybe this is the start of something that could steam along pretty good now that I'm committed. I appreciate the input.
Old March 15, 2008, 02:27 AM

Thanks for Asking questions.

Here is something you could do: copy the barcamp unconference model.
http://barcamp.org/

How it works is the "un-organizers" just pick out the time and place (place should be a venue that has at least 2 rooms). And gets sponsors for the event.

Everything else that happens at the actual event is not scheduled.

Say the time to meet is at 9. So everyone starts showing up at around 9 and can have breakfast and mingle. At 9.30, everyone is seated and one-by-one they can introduce themselves.

After the introduction, people who want to give a presentation/speech can register at the front of the room. You write down their topic on a white board and announce it to the room.

Everyone who wants to speak gets 30 minutes to speak. But here is the thing: 2 speakers go together in 2 separate rooms.

And everyone follows the rule of 2 feet. If a presentation is an ad pitch or plain boring, people can leave and go to the other room.

This barcamp format goes very well with computering topics. But its slowly spreading to other industries too.

--

Besides this, like the Money Game posts by Dien, you could organize an auction too. And auction a few things at the end of the event for some money.

http://www.ankeshkothari.com/TheMoneyGame.pdf
Old March 16, 2008, 01:25 AM
hartrealm

I just did a quick read on both "barcamp" and the "moneygame".

"Barcamp" certainly looks to be an interesting concept that could absolutely be adapted to the investor meeting as it progresses to a larger scale event (which I now forsee happening).

"Moneygame" was both inspiring and thought provoking. The auction mentioned is a "natural" for the investor group ... great idea!

I now have several ideas floating through my mind (and onto my ever growing thinking pad). With a little over 3 weeks before the 1st meeting and several great ideas from this group, it looks as though the "groundwork" for a successful first meeting is well in the works!

Thank you Ankesh!

Thank you all for your help. I intend to re-read everything several times over the next few days and as I do, I'm sure my "thinking pad" is bound to expand and ultimately coalesce into a successful plan of action.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:41 PM
hartrealm

Red face More Questions On The Investor Meeting Theme

The first meeting I'm having will be free to attend.

As things progress however, a "membership fee" and a "monthly newsletter" to keep in touch with all those who attend.

My question on that aspect is:

Online or offline newsletter ... or both? Of course I'll ask that question at the meeting, but I'm interested in your opinions here as well (for reasons I'll explain in a moment).

I know some of the more prominent, wealthy investors-land owners in this particular area are not particularly "net-savvy" and very importantly, don't care to be. Many of them drive 20 year old pick-ups and their typical "around town" garb consist mainly of the old "Mr. Greenjeans" Overalls. (Part of why I love it here!)

That's one reason I'm looking at doing a "hard copy", mailed newsletter. Plus, personally I prefer hard-copy newsletters myself. Inexpensive I would guess (B&W, created on my own computer with Publisher, sent over to the printer for copies). I would also think I could pass along the cost to the "member" as long as the value is there. Or even have it paid for by advertisers.

Your opinions on the online or hard copy newsletter? I ask because ... I know some of you here are familiar with the concept of "licensing". I suppose I could do both and have the online "pdf" edition on an online "membership site"?

Now here's why I mentioned licensing before. I'm going to make some general assumptions and say my "local only" meeting becomes successful in terms of: interested (and interestING) people attending, profitable relationships / deals result (which is already happening based on a few simple calls to other local investors about the meeting!), more "exclusive" groups form from the larger group, people are willing to pay a "membership fee" to become (monthly/yearly?) members after attending / seeing the "value" membership will provide ... okay, so let's say the whole concept proves to be profitable and viable.

Based on those "look to the future" assumptions, does "licensing" my group name and packaging this an an opportunity for other investors in other mid-size cities across the country seem plausible?

I would say that if the idea "in and of itself" proves successful, I personally will profit in two ways:

1. The membership fees (to cover cost/expenses and a small monthly $ for myself).
2. The true profits will be made through the relationships and partnerships that are formed as a result of the meetings.

#3? But licensing the "name and systems" created along the way that make it a profitable venture could be another business and income stream itself. A small setup fee and then a monthly fee from a "franchisee" of sorts?

I show them how to set it up in quick fashion, who they want to call and why, how to run the meeting, how to set up partnerships, where to get the "local" information that will be so valuable to their local investors, how to talk to get local lenders, bankers, realtors to bring the BEST deals to their meetings for THEIR members, etc.

Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself but don't the Japanese usually have a 100 year plan for running a business versus our American way of having a 100 minute plan?

By The Way: I ran across one of Jay Abraham's "mind maps" last night and starting creating one of my own for this little business idea (plus I have about $3,000 worth of his info ... and Dan Kennedy's of course sitting on my shelf), so between these guys and the info you've provided me here, my mind is reeling with ideas! If anyones interested in J.A's mind map, here's the link
http://www.strategicprofits.com/news...-announcement/

Thanks again for all your input here guys!

Sorry for the rambling

Last edited by Dien Rice : March 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: repaired link