SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 31, 2011, 02:33 PM
Samir

Default A Wine & Cheese business idea

I received some help from Gordon this morning and it reminded me that I haven't been to sowpub lately so I thought I would pay a visit and share and idea that has been running through my head.

A friend of mine just had a house warming party and she asked everyone to bring a bottle of wine paired with a cheese.

I didn't know anything about wine & cheese pairing so I did some research and found a couple of different types of cheeses that pair well with many types of wines.

I picked up my wine bottle at the wine depot and the cheese from the supermarket and it occurred to me that wouldn't it be great if the wine store sold cheese as well? Especially if the wine selections also mentioned what type of cheese they best pair with? The cheese would also have a label on it that identifies which wine it best pairs with.

I think this could be valuable in many ways including:
1. Saving wine buyers from making a separate trip to the supermarket/cheese shop
2. Eliminating the education required to pick the right wine and cheese combo
3. Offering the stores a risk free way to earn extra and increase customer satisfaction

The way to run this business would be to supply the wine store with cheeses that are already labeled with the correct wine pairing.

Labels/stickers can also be placed next to the wine selection, mentioning which cheese they pair with and the fact that the store sells cheese as well.

What do you folks think?
Old October 31, 2011, 03:12 PM
sandalwood

Default Re: A Wine & Cheese business idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I received some help from Gordon this morning and it reminded me that I haven't been to sowpub lately so I thought I would pay a visit and share and idea that has been running through my head.

A friend of mine just had a house warming party and she asked everyone to bring a bottle of wine paired with a cheese.

I didn't know anything about wine & cheese pairing so I did some research and found a couple of different types of cheeses that pair well with many types of wines.

I picked up my wine bottle at the wine depot and the cheese from the supermarket and it occurred to me that wouldn't it be great if the wine store sold cheese as well? Especially if the wine selections also mentioned what type of cheese they best pair with? The cheese would also have a label on it that identifies which wine it best pairs with.

I think this could be valuable in many ways including:
1. Saving wine buyers from making a separate trip to the supermarket/cheese shop
2. Eliminating the education required to pick the right wine and cheese combo
3. Offering the stores a risk free way to earn extra and increase customer satisfaction

The way to run this business would be to supply the wine store with cheeses that are already labeled with the correct wine pairing.

Labels/stickers can also be placed next to the wine selection, mentioning which cheese they pair with and the fact that the store sells cheese as well.

What do you folks think?

Sounds good on paper. However if your area is like mine, the local super market chains already perform this service. The 2 that come to mind are Raley's and Scolari's. Both are family owned and are local to NV and CA. If these folks had the idea, do you suppose owners in your area also had the idea.

BTW, Whole Foods (I think that's their name) also does cooking seminars and wine and cheese pairing seminars and other food related seminars in their store on Virginia St - a main N to S thoroughfare running through Reno.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but if the dufuses in podunk NV have thought of it, I'd bet the illuminati in the real world have already thunk of it too.

Just my 2¢...

Tom
Old October 31, 2011, 04:53 PM
Samir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Sounds good on paper. However if your area is like mine, the local super market chains already perform this service. The 2 that come to mind are Raley's and Scolari's. Both are family owned and are local to NV and CA. If these folks had the idea, do you suppose owners in your area also had the idea.

BTW, Whole Foods (I think that's their name) also does cooking seminars and wine and cheese pairing seminars and other food related seminars in their store on Virginia St - a main N to S thoroughfare running through Reno.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket but if the dufuses in podunk NV have thought of it, I'd bet the illuminati in the real world have already thunk of it too.

Just my 2¢...

Tom

Hi Tom...thanks for your input. Do the stores you mention have it laid out as self-service (in the form of the labeling idea I mentioned) or do they have experts available to answer your wine & cheese pairing questions?

There are two wholefoods near me and although they carry a wide selection of cheeses, neither of them sells wines.

Thanks
-Samir
Old October 31, 2011, 05:35 PM
sandalwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Hi Tom...thanks for your input. Do the stores you mention have it laid out as self-service (in the form of the labeling idea I mentioned) or do they have experts available to answer your wine & cheese pairing questions?

There are two wholefoods near me and although they carry a wide selection of cheeses, neither of them sells wines.

Thanks
-Samir

The stores I mentioned each have a spokes lady who does their ads and is available to the general public in one of their stores on a rotating basis. The location is always advertised in advance and usually well attended. On a daily basis a consumer can consult with the liquor/wine manager who, as far as I can tell, pretty well versed in cheese wine pairings. These stores seem to go out of their way to be consumer friendly. I might just be experiencing a market phenomenon and don't even know it.

As for the whole foods remark I made, I may have them mixed with another store on South Virginia. If I did, I'm sorry about taking their name in vain.

I think your idea is a good one. I would suspect you would have to do a ton of footwork to get it off the ground but if that's all it takes and you have the time, may you enjoy all the success in the world. I am not an expert in that field by any means.

Oh, this just popped into my pea brain. One of the local liquor stores (4 outlets in this area) hosts a Friday night, summer time wine tasting. The servers are reps from the various wineries. They always have cheese and crackers laid out with a blurb about which of their wines goes with which cheese. As far as I can tell, none of the liquor store's employees knows a darned thing about wine/cheese pairings. You might hit this arena first and educate the employees so they can sell more wine. Again, just my 2¢.

Tom
Old October 31, 2011, 05:53 PM
RyanM

One idea could be a "wine and cheese of the month" club.

There are "wine of the month" clubs, and "cheese of the month" clubs - but I haven't yet seen a "wine and cheese of the month" club (where the two go together).

Just my 2¢
Old October 31, 2011, 06:54 PM
sandalwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
One idea could be a "wine and cheese of the month" club.

There are "wine of the month" clubs, and "cheese of the month" clubs - but I haven't yet seen a "wine and cheese of the month" club (where the two go together).

Just my 2¢

Ryan,

Thanks for the post. I stumbled across these two sites:

http://www.winemonthclub.com/cheesegifts.htm

http://www.club-offers.com/gourmet-monthly/wine-cheese/

when I did a search for wine and cheese of the month club. It seems these guys have a handle on that particular idea. What I did notice is their inexpensive monthly rates. Maybe, just maybe, a person could see if they would private label a club. In other words, the wineries do private labeling, the cheese people do private labeling, why not these guys, right? If they do, raise the membership dues by $10 per month. It would be the same, well, sorta kinda, as outsourcing.

Just my 2¢

Tom
Old October 31, 2011, 07:57 PM
RyanM

Hi Tom,

Those are sites where you can join many "of the month clubs" like wine of the month, cheese of the month, chocolate of the month, cigar of the month, you get the picture.

Your first link is promoting their "Whatever Whenever Program" where they say "you can design your own unique club by selecting from our Microbrewed Beer, International Wine, Gourmet Chocolate, International Cheese, Premium Cigar or Fresh Cut Flower of the Month Clubs and send any combination that you can imagine." They are just suggesting you get two - get the wine and the cheese clubs.

So you are really joining two separate clubs, a wine of the month club, and a cheese of the month club.

You're just joining two clubs, instead of one, they're not coordinated with each other.

When you look deeper into it, the second link looks like the same thing. Pretend to "order" and it seems to become clear. You're just joining two separate clubs - a wine of the month club, and a cheese of the month club. They're not coordinated.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default How to avoid the dreaded wine and cheese affair...

Back in the day...when I got invited to a BYOW/C

I was prepared.

Took my Pagan Pink Ripple and a big hunk of Limburger...and was sent home after the party with bottle and cheese unwrapped...used the same bottle and cheese for a couple of years...

just a tip for you other Cheap SOBs out there...it didn't take that long, and I was left off the guest list...much to my relief...now I got to watch Saturday Night Live (back when it was original and funny)...

Kept that Pagan Pink for years...wonder whatever became of it...

You're welcome, I feel I've done my civic duty.

GJA