SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 16, 2019, 07:08 AM

Default Selling Magic

In the past I sold my CORE magic act here on the ‘Net.

Additionally, I have sold a Birthday Party Program here on the ‘Net.

I have sold a Daycare Program.

I have sold my After Dinner Mentalism Program.

I have sold my Corporate Mentalism Program

I have sold my Seance Program.

I have sold many other of my programs as well. With a career spanning several markets and three decades, I HAD to develop different shows as I matured as an entertainer and as my interests changed.

The reason I mention this here because I am considering a few things about all my performing experience and need a bit of advice.

After decades of performing, I have boatloads of experience. Additionally, I had to become an excellent marketer because of bad experiences with agents.

My query?

Is licensing my programs for sale to an individual the right way to go or just create a website and let the sales take off?

Licensing seems the way to go, yet I haven't much experience down that route.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 16, 2019, 02:23 PM
Rick

Default Re: Selling Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
The reason I mention this here because I am considering a few things about all my performing experience and need a bit of advice.

After decades of performing, I have boatloads of experience. Additionally, I had to become an excellent marketer because of bad experiences with agents.

My query?

Is licensing my programs for sale to an individual the right way to go or just create a website and let the sales take off?

I'm unclear on what you want to do. Do you want to continue to sell the programs to prospects in those niches? Or do you want to "retire" so to speak and be done with it?

Rick
Old September 16, 2019, 04:20 PM

I only occasionally do shows now... for very special events or occasions.

I am retired essentially from performing. I just just throwing out the fact that I have tons of materials and experience in the field and am deciding what I want to do with it.
Old September 20, 2019, 04:51 PM
Rick

Quote:
I only occasionally do shows now... for very special events or occasions.

I am retired essentially from performing. I just just throwing out the fact that I have tons of materials and experience in the field and am deciding what I want to do with it.

Five thoughts come to mind. Note that I haven't researched these ideas in any way, shape, or form. I'm posting them here pretty much like they popped into my head.

1. Licensing. This one seems like a no-brainer to me. You could obviously control the number of licenses you sell. There are, of course, numerous ways you could structure the licenses. (The next two ideas are really just examples of licensing I guess.)

2. PLR. Private label rights. You could turn your material into PLR and sell that.

3. MRR. Master resale rights. You could license people to sell your material.

4. Coaching. You could coach magicians on how to run a magic business. There are several ways you could do this; group coaching and one-on-one coaching being the most obvious.

5. Membership site. While you could set up a coaching program like a membership site, I was thinking more of a "traditional" membership site where people pay monthly (recurring revenue!) and you post content weekly or monthly.

Rick
Old September 22, 2019, 03:37 PM

I had thought of coaching, but a membership site looks more to my liking.

I like the fact that there are places I could have my materials, teaching, etc., available to a select few, only available at the site.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old September 16, 2019, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default So, if you agree, the best buyers are buyers...IF you do, then...

Quote:
In the past I sold my CORE magic act here on the ‘Net.

Additionally, I have sold a Birthday Party Program here on the ‘Net.

I have sold a Daycare Program.

I have sold my After Dinner Mentalism Program.

I have sold my Corporate Mentalism Program

I have sold my Seance Program.

I have sold many other of my programs as well. With a career spanning several markets and three decades, I HAD to develop different shows as I matured as an entertainer and as my interests changed.

My query?

Don't know. I think Millard, you would find it harder to license (and protect and enforce) your stuff than to just sell it. Although, those problems, especially the MARKETING and dealing with AGENTS, are problems for all performers.

I don't think most local magicians compete with other magicians, they compete with every entertainer there is to choose from. I would never book a clown, for example (I find them ALL creepy), but if said clown offered a balloon artist gig (sans makeup) I'd hire him/her for an event.

I suspect, but don't know, the real VALUE you have, what the market will pay for is the MARKETING, especially without the hassle of an agent.

I know many people who book talent for events, and they all tell me the same thing, what THEY want, is a hassle free, uncomplicated deal with someone who shows up on time, knocks it out the park, and says thanks.

I think you would do well with a web site, which offered a MARKETING course, and then gave each of your courses up as add ons to that course. They can pick and choose, once they have the BIG course under their belt.

Lou Serrano was getting 297 for his course, can be seen, but not for sale, at www.sixfiguremagic.com

I don't know Millard, but you have options, which is good.

SO, who is buying NOW? What do magicians (and other entertainers) buy, and who do they buy marketing/sales/booking gigs from?

You're looking for buyers. Maybe a JV with a list, say of Maxwell Murphy, who probably has huge lists of buyers. Or any magic shop, which has lists of BUYERS.

We've had several magicians here at SowPub, and over the years, many have been at forums. I think you have a decent market, but just my opinion, trying to license your acts, adds a layer of difficulty to things, where as just offering a program, a main act, possible groups or memberships, might serve you better.

Now, as for my rabbit's disaster plan, well, too late, all that is left is his foot, and it wasn't too lucky for him, was it?

GJABIZ
Old September 16, 2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks Gordon !

I think you are right. Selling the course with add ons could very well be the ticket. I had to learn my marketing the hard way... out in the field. If my marketing didn't work... I didn't eat !

Time to dust off my "Outrageous Marketing For Performers" and expand it.

Thanks for helping me see the obvious.

Cheers !
Old September 20, 2019, 03:51 AM

Gary Halbert said that a super successful direct marketing piece requires 3 things: star, story, solution.

Licensing requires 2 of the above 3 too.

If you don't have 2 ingredients of the above 3, then go for a website + promoting the website with ads and joint ventures.
Old September 20, 2019, 11:11 AM
Robert J.

Millard, give another read to Gordon's response.

Take some time to read the details on that web site he shared. Not sure why that guy isn't selling his program any more, but man, it looks like you could almost cut and paste it into your own web site and make some money with your knowledge.

"Knowing" something is valuable. You just need to cash in on it.