SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 24, 2007, 04:27 PM
Bea

Smile Is there such thing as "Fishbowl Profits"

~lol~
I know that sounds funny, but I'm wondering *how* you could make money from the fishbowls that you see sitting out at restaurants & other places of business? (Where you put your name in & hope to win something at the drawing.)

Gotta run, but will be looking forward to any answers from you all. I'm sure if it can BE thought of...someone here will think of it!!

~Bea

Last edited by Bea : July 24, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old July 24, 2007, 04:44 PM
hockeycoachdoug

Default Re: Is there such thing as "Fishbowl Profits"

Is that like "bread and butter money" that Jim Straw talks about? By the way, what exactly is "bread and butter money" and how can I make some like Jim Straw? He says it's easy to do. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Old July 24, 2007, 05:53 PM
Bea

Oh, I don't know about that "bread & butter" money...sounds interesting.

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about Jim Straw even just from here & I'm on an autoresponder of his on another email of mine.

The fishbowl things...Haven't you seen them out at places of business...they're usually filled with people's names & phone numbers hoping to win some kind of contest or whatever.

I just wonder HOW you could profit from those? I've seen them enough that there is SOMEONE SOMEWHERE making money from them, I know!

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Bea
Old July 24, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sandi Bowman

Fishbowls are great for finding out who your customers are in a retail establishment and being able to contact them with a free or coupon discount offer via snail mail. One use.

Another is to garner sales leads for follow up. This is often for folks selling a specific, often large ticket, item. These leads often come about at fairs and in-store demos and so on.

I would imagine one could use something like this to contact customers for an online sale eventually by sending something offline, such as a coupon redeemable through your website, for something related to whatever prompted the lead in the first place. Your squeeze page would take care of the rest and you'd add them to your contact list if you do it correctly or at least make an initial online contact that could eventually become a subscriber if handled appropriately.

Sandi Bowman
Old July 24, 2007, 07:52 PM
Phil

All Kinds of ways to Kick the idea into Multiple markets and ideas...

Quick picks... Many more in Google land...

Email marketing services specializing in restaurant promotion. Site has company overview, explanation of products and services, and client samples...
http://www.fishbowl.com/

http://www.streetfightermarketing.ne..._fish-bowl.htm

http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blo...with-the-bowl/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : July 24, 2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old July 24, 2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Default And of course, there is a dark side to everything...darn.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28302

Darn Skippy.

And this guy says to pick the winner based on who might be the best prospect...

http://www.loanofficermagazine.com/a...icle_number=73

Well, there are several options, let's think about it.

You could pick up a few fishbowls wholesale (consider plastic decorative ones) for less than 3 bux ea.

ADD a pack of name and address forms from Staples, Kinkos, Office Max or drug store...

Put together a little SPECIAL report on "How to Use Fishbowl Marketing to Increase Profits"...

and hit the streets. Sell the FISHBOWL kits for 35 bux...pocket 30. 4 a day and you make 120 bux...YIKES, I sound like Don Alm...HA!

YOU could sponsor the fishbowls and pay for the free meal every week and collect the names for your own use ala link 2 above.

Do it for a day or two, and offer a HOW TO MAKE MONEY With Fishbowl Marketing...also DA sort of thing...

Find the sponsors of the fishbowls already in existence, if not the restaurant (or dry cleaners or quick mart store)...and offer them a HOW TO PROFIT from the names you collect with your fishbowls for 97 dollars.

Maybe I'll create a HOTSHEET on fishbowl marketing, thanks PHIL, you gave me enough for that...look out M. Ross, heres I come with another one for www.hotsheets.info

Gordon (where have all the goldfish gone, gone down the toilet every one, when will we ever learn, when will we ever learn...) Alexander

PS. Maybe I find a couple of local people who do this and see if they are Fly Low and Collect the Dough types www.flylowcollectdough.com WHAT? You didn't think I wasn't going to mention it? HA!

Last edited by GordonJ : July 24, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: the usual
Old July 24, 2007, 10:37 PM
gadgetbob

I did the Arizona and New Mexico state Fair for several years.
Two booths down from me was a fellow who was selling a nice set of Dinnerware. I don't remember the price but it was about $200.00.

He had the Fishbowl,fill out the card and maybe win a nice new set.

When the fair was over, he did award the set to the winner....BUT...

then he called everyone else and told them who did win but then he said you
came in second and you win four cups and saucers free, when can I come by and deliver them to you. They looked nice, with gold trim and all.

He told me, it took him two weeks to make all of the deliveries, many of the
people choose to buy the full set at a little discount. He then said he was able to buy a new van with that money
Old July 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
Bea

Smile Re: Is there such thing as "Fishbowl Profits"

HA! This is interesting, guys! I never thought it would be at all controversial like that one guy said in the link above, Gordon. Hmmm...people...a funny bunch sometimes!
Old July 24, 2007, 11:05 PM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetbob View Post
I did the Arizona and New Mexico state Fair for several years.
Two booths down from me was a fellow who was selling a nice set of Dinnerware. I don't remember the price but it was about $200.00.

He had the Fishbowl,fill out the card and maybe win a nice new set.

When the fair was over, he did award the set to the winner....BUT...

then he called everyone else and told them who did win but then he said you
came in second and you win four cups and saucers free, when can I come by and deliver them to you. They looked nice, with gold trim and all.

He told me, it took him two weeks to make all of the deliveries, many of the
people choose to buy the full set at a little discount. He then said he was able to buy a new van with that money

Wow, that's a thought!! Yes, I know I really like the sets that come out with the gold trim at some of the fast food places. We always collect the elegant stemware type like that. That's a good thought!

~Bea P.S. GadgetBob, I wrote to you...did you get it?
Old July 25, 2007, 03:44 AM
Phil

Default Re: And of course, there is a dark side to everything...darn.

Here's a couple more Quick ideas to Kick around and Throw into the Fish Bowl if anyone's interested...

The Power of Local Email Marketing
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-18-2006-96566.asp
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Power-...ting&id=145219

And Google the following...

Skip Rosell 5 free ideas... Don't want to break any forum rules...

Google #3... You'll get Skip's... Business Card Referral Program...

Give Skip's idea a JV Fish Bowl “twist”...

If you Continually got Multiple businesses to not only follow Skip's idea...

But also got a Fish Bowl concept into each of their businesses...

You'd have some Fish Bowl gold...

Just like these guys...
http://www.fishbowl.com/
http://www.fishbowl.com/about.htm

Phil

Last edited by Phil : July 25, 2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: additional info