SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 2, 2012, 03:05 AM
Cornell

Default Re: skip be very careful...

I have been building, designing, modifying, and maintaining web sites for a dozen years...well actually almost 13 years now..

Areas you have to be concerned with are:

1. Content
2. Design
3. Coding

1. Content copyright in most cases belongs to the site owner.

If as the site developer I am asked to provide content then, depending on the source of it, I could claim copyright to that content. Generally it is turned over to the site owner and if not then the content will show som where on it that the copyright belongs to me or the lawful copyright owner if I sourced it from some other source.

So in modifying a sites content...as long as you have the owners permission to do so...you are free to do it...Just don't modify or alter any content that is marked copyright by a party other than the site owner.

The owner will be able to tell you if he/she added the content or supplied the content to the developer to add to the site, or if they left it to the developer to add content ....if it was left to the developer to provide and add content then you could have a copyright issue unless the site owner has something in writing or electronically saying the copyright to the content the developer contributed has reverted to the site owner.

Most sites will have a copyright at the bottom of the pages of the site.

If it states copyright is to the company business name you are pretty safe other than for content specifically marked copyright of someone other than the site owner.

If the copyright is only to the domain name then to be safe you should verify copyrights and use due diligence.

2. Design is a tricky area.

The developer could have purchased a template to work with...or done the design him/her self.

Generally if there is a design copyright other than the site owner it will be displayed at page bottom and generally with a link to the designers web site....this is a no touch area without express written permission from the design copyright holder.

If there is no design copyright claim on the page then you have to determine if it is a template that is used.

With regards to templates....if there is any mention on the web site pages of the template source then you need to investigate. Many free templates that require displaying the source of the template have a copyright to the free source and it will require looking at the source (site it came from) of the template to see what you can and can't do.

If there is no mention of the template then generally it was free of copyright restrictions, or was purchased with rights to makes changes etc.

It is always wise to look at the source code of the index page to see if there is any mention on it of template copyright....or where it was purchased from ..... and then investigate any copyright restrictions on the template.

Even if there is a design copyright the site owner still has the right to add content him / her self, or hire someone to add or change content as long as the design is not modified.

3. Coding

a. If the site uses a third party software to power it, it may very well be that the design was from a template supplied by the third party software...and if this is so it is going to be copyrighted....due diligence is needed to decipher where the copyright belongs in this instance and the rights of the user....but this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the template itself.

b. If the site was hand coded the code could be copyrighted (but this ties into the design aspect as html code is just html code).....but this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the design if it is copyrighted.

c. If the site uses multiple 3rd party scripts (not a 3rd party software that powers the whole site) to power different sections of the site and is part of the coding then the odds are the person doing the site could not claim copyright to it other than for design....and again this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the design if it is copyrighted.

d. If the site was developed specifically, and soley, for the web site owner whereas the developer wrote a script (program) for the web site (not talking html or css here) then one would have to very carefully scrutinize copyrights and rights given to the site owner.

Essentially ...unless a contract says otherwise...or unless a developer has 'complete' copyright to the design and content of a web site...the the site owner is free to add or modify the content him / her self, or hire someone to do it (with attention paid to any design copyright, programming copyrights,so as no infractions are committed).

One other are of concern to be aware of....some domains are only leased to the site owner (not by a registrar but by someone else who actually owns the domain name rights for use. Some of these people are rather unscrupulous..... and as most people don't bother to read fine print...there may be a small clause that the content of the site is actually owned by the domain name owner and not the person who has leased the domain name and developed and added the content....due diligence is required.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:09 AM
Eva

Default Re: How to fall into MONEY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Rosell View Post

*****Now, how can we find the sites that have problems with their web designer?

I could check to see if there have been any changes in the last 3 months in sites but that takes time. If no changes in last 3 months then they could be a good prospect for our service. Things move fast on the web and no changes in 3 months is not a good sign for their website. Of course they could have a static page or pages and we would waste our time doing it this way.

There are some other twists and turns I have learned over the last couple of weeks and when I have a better system I might write a report on this. Of course I won't forget my friends on SowPub.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

Hi Skip, I'm not to familiar too familiar in finding out what you talk about in the BLUE section. Could you please elaborate?

Twists and turns,
yes, a report, free or paid, would be great!

There's also been a couple of great contributions about copyrights that is very valuable and should be included in the report and maybe elaborated upon, if the report comes to fruition.

Eva
Old May 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
Skip Rosell

Default Re: skip be very careful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
I have been building, designing, modifying, and maintaining web sites for a dozen years...well actually almost 13 years now..

Areas you have to be concerned with are:

1. Content
2. Design
3. Coding

1. Content copyright in most cases belongs to the site owner.

If as the site developer I am asked to provide content then, depending on the source of it, I could claim copyright to that content. Generally it is turned over to the site owner and if not then the content will show som where on it that the copyright belongs to me or the lawful copyright owner if I sourced it from some other source.

So in modifying a sites content...as long as you have the owners permission to do so...you are free to do it...Just don't modify or alter any content that is marked copyright by a party other than the site owner.

The owner will be able to tell you if he/she added the content or supplied the content to the developer to add to the site, or if they left it to the developer to add content ....if it was left to the developer to provide and add content then you could have a copyright issue unless the site owner has something in writing or electronically saying the copyright to the content the developer contributed has reverted to the site owner.

Most sites will have a copyright at the bottom of the pages of the site.

If it states copyright is to the company business name you are pretty safe other than for content specifically marked copyright of someone other than the site owner.

If the copyright is only to the domain name then to be safe you should verify copyrights and use due diligence.

2. Design is a tricky area.

The developer could have purchased a template to work with...or done the design him/her self.

Generally if there is a design copyright other than the site owner it will be displayed at page bottom and generally with a link to the designers web site....this is a no touch area without express written permission from the design copyright holder.

If there is no design copyright claim on the page then you have to determine if it is a template that is used.

With regards to templates....if there is any mention on the web site pages of the template source then you need to investigate. Many free templates that require displaying the source of the template have a copyright to the free source and it will require looking at the source (site it came from) of the template to see what you can and can't do.

If there is no mention of the template then generally it was free of copyright restrictions, or was purchased with rights to makes changes etc.

It is always wise to look at the source code of the index page to see if there is any mention on it of template copyright....or where it was purchased from ..... and then investigate any copyright restrictions on the template.

Even if there is a design copyright the site owner still has the right to add content him / her self, or hire someone to add or change content as long as the design is not modified.

3. Coding

a. If the site uses a third party software to power it, it may very well be that the design was from a template supplied by the third party software...and if this is so it is going to be copyrighted....due diligence is needed to decipher where the copyright belongs in this instance and the rights of the user....but this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the template itself.

b. If the site was hand coded the code could be copyrighted (but this ties into the design aspect as html code is just html code).....but this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the design if it is copyrighted.

c. If the site uses multiple 3rd party scripts (not a 3rd party software that powers the whole site) to power different sections of the site and is part of the coding then the odds are the person doing the site could not claim copyright to it other than for design....and again this does not stop one from adding, changing, or modifying site content as long as no mod is done to the design if it is copyrighted.

d. If the site was developed specifically, and soley, for the web site owner whereas the developer wrote a script (program) for the web site (not talking html or css here) then one would have to very carefully scrutinize copyrights and rights given to the site owner.

Essentially ...unless a contract says otherwise...or unless a developer has 'complete' copyright to the design and content of a web site...the the site owner is free to add or modify the content him / her self, or hire someone to do it (with attention paid to any design copyright, programming copyrights,so as no infractions are committed).

One other are of concern to be aware of....some domains are only leased to the site owner (not by a registrar but by someone else who actually owns the domain name rights for use. Some of these people are rather unscrupulous..... and as most people don't bother to read fine print...there may be a small clause that the content of the site is actually owned by the domain name owner and not the person who has leased the domain name and developed and added the content....due diligence is required.

Hi Cornell,

Thanks for the crash course in copyright.

I knew some of what you said but I found a lot of good info in your post.

Thank you very much.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old May 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
Skip Rosell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Hi Skip, I'm not to familiar too familiar in finding out what you talk about in the BLUE section. Could you please elaborate?

Twists and turns,
yes, a report, free or paid, would be great!

There's also been a couple of great contributions about copyrights that is very valuable and should be included in the report and maybe elaborated upon, if the report comes to fruition.

Eva

Hi Eve,

Thanks for asking.

In a nut shell what I want to do is find web sites that were designed and run by persons that no longer are available to run the site. Which means the business owner of that site NEEDS another designer right away!!!

Many of these owners will not have the knowledge to get into their site and will need my help. Also all of these business owners are going to need a new web designer

Example of a search that could turn up these sites:

May be a little morbid but it works.....

Enter this string into Google search.

"obituaries" + "web designer" + "self employed"

That will bring up 127 thousand results where SOMEBODIES web designer is no longer available.

Now you use some domain tools with the name of the designer to find the websites that he produced and you have hot prospects for this service. No, don't ask, what domain tools. Have to keep somethings to myself. But if you do a search for domain tools you will have an eye opener.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old May 2, 2012, 03:05 PM
Eva

Quote:
Example of a search that could turn up these sites:

May be a little morbid but it works.....

Enter this string into Google search.

"obituaries" + "web designer" + "self employed"

That will bring up 127 thousand results where SOMEBODIES web designer is no longer available.

Now you use some domain tools with the name of the designer to find the websites that he produced and you have hot prospects for this service. No, don't ask, what domain tools. Have to keep somethings to myself. But if you do a search for domain tools you will have an eye opener.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

As already mentioned, wouldn't mind paying for your report because there are only so many hours in a day...

Eva

Last edited by Dien Rice : May 2, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: fixed up quote formatting
Old May 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
Phil

Default How to Fall into MONEY!!! Not to {Give] too Much away, Dofo Aggregates...

Not Sure if Skip's Got This one in His Toolbox of ''Smart'' Money Making ideas & Multiple Streams of income Just Yet! ...

Those that Don't? ... Definitely Worth Activating & Thinking more About...

Brainstorming on All Kinds of somewhat, Unknown opportunities & possibilities!

Dofo Aggregates Domain Lookup Tools...

Just a Few additional ''Quick'' TidBits of information, misc. resources...

Lots of Golden nuggets... Simply To be Found using these Tools... Some FREE! ...

Unfortunately not [All] Unless you Can ''Solve'' the Puzzles in Other ways, Using Different Methods...

That Help Many {Find All Kinds of Hidden Treasures} including Valuable investments and related details...

Unlimited!... Untapped and Still Wide-Open [starting] 2012 into Infinity...

Limited only with Your Ways of Thinking and Applying misc. Creativity, Ideas & Innovation into How to Fall into MONEY!!!

Just One [Simple] under $10. Investment Daily...

Very ''Nice little Fortunes'' still Wide-Open for the Taking...

Can be Turned into Various interesting business models, Additional Add-on Service ideas Too!

Dofo Aggregates Domain Lookup Tools | Elliot's Blog...
http://www.elliotsblog.com/dofo-aggr...kup-tools-9162

Watch this Space Closely! ...

Coming soon Due to Popular Demand...

Phil

Last edited by Phil : May 2, 2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old May 3, 2012, 02:20 AM

Thanks Skip for trying new things and taking action.

Here is an idea: Read a couple of tutorials and learn how to upgrade WordPress (its not that hard or time consuming).

1. Then find blogs and websites that use an older version of WordPress
2. Find their email addresses via WhoIs search
3. Send them an email with the offer: we'll upgrade your WordPress and make it more secure for $100

The conversion rate will be low than folks who don't have a password - because that is a more pressing problem. But the volume should be higher if you can automate the emailing part.

You could potentially do the same thing for Drupal and Joomla and Magento and vBulletin and other CMS systems too.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:56 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Why I think this is brilliant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Rosell View Post
So how much fell into my lap from this chance meeting?

Eight at $100
Eight at $125 a month (I out source this for $50 per month)
Eight at $$$ for major changes. (which I will out source.
Eight that I can sell other services to like Emial marketing, Google places, SMS messaging, etc.
Hi Skip,

I gotta say - this is one of the most brilliant posts I've seen!

What I really love is how you turned solving the problem into a "continuity" program, where you get paid every month for keeping everything running smoothly for them...

It's also "win/win" - everyone wins.

The way you've done it, it also turns into a monthly money-maker for you, with little extra effort required on your part (since you're planning to outsource part of it)...

Thanks for sharing this... It's brilliant thinking...

I think many people could retire on the money that could be generated with this idea alone!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 9, 2012, 11:31 PM
trevlaw55

Ankesh I love that idea probably very little competition.
About how many do you have to contact to get a client?
I Know it may vary. Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Thanks Skip for trying new things and taking action.

Here is an idea: Read a couple of tutorials and learn how to upgrade WordPress (its not that hard or time consuming).

1. Then find blogs and websites that use an older version of WordPress
2. Find their email addresses via WhoIs search
3. Send them an email with the offer: we'll upgrade your WordPress and make it more secure for $100

The conversion rate will be low than folks who don't have a password - because that is a more pressing problem. But the volume should be higher if you can automate the emailing part.

You could potentially do the same thing for Drupal and Joomla and Magento and vBulletin and other CMS systems too.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:12 AM

Its not something I have done. So I have no idea how many people you will have to contact to land a client. But it is something that can be automated - so contacting people shouldn't be time consuming.

This is just something that came to my mind when Skip shared his idea. It should be easier to find people who have out-dated WordPress installations than to find people whose designers don't respond anymore. And thats why I shared it - if anyone wanted to twist Skip's idea and test it out.

Here is one more tip: if you do indeed test this WordPress tweak out - then you don't want to use Google to do your research. You want to use a search engine that allows you to search through the "meta tags" of a website. WordPress embeds a meta tag in all their websites that gives the version number.

You want to search for the string:
"generator:wordpress"
or
"generator:wordpress 3"
in a meta tag search engine.
You can replace the number 3 with older WordPress version numbers too.

I personally have my hands full and don't intend to follow through with this idea.