SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
ThePromotionalGuy.com

Default Re: I'm INHUMAN I tell ya!...

Tim,

In short. "Size you up". Also consider all the fallout large and small businesses have been dealing with since 2008.

All the "Professionals" that have ripped off these companies from within or the Feds stiffening their observations of large corporations.

They are covering their butts. Crossing their "T"s and dotting their "I"s so if or when your solutions fail they have plausible deniability.

Peace and Success to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
I've been asked to fly out 5,000 miles away for a business meeting. (read: to pitch what I have to a large corp.).

My question is this, what does an in-person meeting do that phone calls, etc. cannot do?

Again, I run up "against" the "human x-factor." When it comes to business, I don't see where it fits into the scheme of things (though I also see that it obviously DOES fit in with the scheme of things, ie: happens all the time).

I just see it as a colossal waste of time + $$ (from BOTH sides of the business "partner" equation).

Any thoughts on this?

-- TW
Old February 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
-TW

Default Re: I guess my point was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Tim,

Two points come to mind...

The first is, I'm not sure how close you're going to work with these people. However, if there is to be any kind of "close" partnership, it's nice to know that there won't be any "personality clash"!

I've seen multiple times where two very highly competent people simply could not successfully work together. It's not because they were not both highly skilled and competent. Rather, it was because they simply could not get along - which led to a dysfunctional partnership!

The second point is that, sometimes people lie. Resumes, qualifications, work histories, and so on, can all be faked. The element I think you're overlooking is "trustworthiness."

I think you can get the most accurate assessment of the "trustworthiness" of a person by meeting them in person (for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post).

While I think most people in the world are fundamentally honest, it's the 4% or so of people who are incredibly dishonest who can screw things up.

By the way, about a year or so I read the book "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout, Ph.D.

A "sociopath" does not have to be a "mass killer." Instead, a "sociopath" is technically someone who has no conscience - they'll just do what's best for themselves, even if they have to constantly lie and cheat to do so. "Sociopaths" are very hard to spot, and generally blend very well into society. They're good at lying and cheating, since that's how they've lived their whole lives - they've had a lot of practice.

According to Martha Stout, about 4% of people are sociopaths.

You may not necessarily spot a sociopath by meeting them in person, but I think your chances may be better than if you didn't meet at all.

(If you want to know how to spot a sociopath, Martha Stout's book tells you what clues to look for. One of them, which surprised me, was that a very common trait of sociopaths is to constantly seek pity from others. Why? Because, if people pity them, it is a way that they can control those who pity them. People can easily be manipulated to do "favors" for the sociopath, out of pity. One of the suspected-sociopaths I used to know [as this person is no longer in my life] used pity extensively, always claiming to be ill, or financially poor, or mistreated by friends and family. However, I eventually found out that most of these claims were lies, which were said in order to gain pity. Through pity, this person could then easily manipulate others to perform lots of favors - like buy things, run errands, and so on.)

Best wishes,

Dien

Thanks Dien...

I find it difficult to "fit in" much of the time - so< I have sometimes wondered if *I* am a "sociopath." But, by that description, I am not one. My problem isI cannot EVER bring myself to cheat + lie. (ok, maybe "ever" is little too strong). But I do tend to run like hell AWAY from anything that's even a little "black hat."
Old February 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
-TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy.com View Post
Tim,

In short. "Size you up". Also consider all the fallout large and small businesses have been dealing with since 2008.

All the "Professionals" that have ripped off these companies from within or the Feds stiffening their observations of large corporations.

They are covering their butts. Crossing their "T"s and dotting their "I"s so if or when your solutions fail they have plausible deniability.

Peace and Success to you

I hadn't thought of the cya aspect!
I do know many execs are NOT concerned with being RIGHT -- they are only concerned with NOT being WRONG!
Old February 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Phil

Default Next time [Anyone] might be Pausing (somewhat) because of Fear or the Unknown...

Try Closing your Eyes, Picture all those Negative things that Could possibly Happen...

Take them and Picture them falling to the Ground, Disappearing, Clearing them out of your Mind...

You may be Surprised at How well this Works! All you will have left in your Mind are all the Reasons to move Ahead and be Successful...

Just a Quick example, Maybe a little Motivation! ...

Quick TidBit Too! ...

Harvesting... Creatively Re-Working, Re-Publishing Video's, Ideas, Niche business models...

With These Kinda Viewing Stats, Endless Misc. interests and Numbers... Can Also Make {A} Many, Nicely little Fortune(s)...

Enjoy! ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=EEu42L0ufBY#!

All the best...

Phil

Last edited by Phil : February 19, 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old February 20, 2012, 01:09 AM
mikewatson85

Default Re: I guess my point was...

This thread has great info for someone like me who is just starting out in this business.
Old February 20, 2012, 04:13 AM
-TW

Just to clarify...

My thought processes usually go like this -- I throw rocks, etc. at things to see if the idea or whatever can withstand the onslaught. Then after all the negativity is hurled at the idea, if there's anything left standing, THAT'S what can be advanced (cleared, moved forward).

The first set of rocks I throw are the integrity rocks. Will it withstand that test?

So, if anything, I'm TOO MUCH of a stickler for keeping things TOTALLY white hat and above board!! DO NO HARM, etc. A kind of entrepreneurial hypocratic oath!!

Also, I have no fear that I will ace the meeting -- assuming it's a trustworthy, boy scout type they are looking for. I'm pretty much always the squarest person in the room.

On the other hand, I can't be flying all over the country just for an in-person meeting. I don't have the $$ or time for that. Of course I can't let THEM know that! (or can I?)

Amusing aspect to the phone call where this corporate exec asked if I could fly out to meet them (reason for this thread)...

Guy mentions about the "MARKETING ARM" of my company, and I'm thinking, "Oh, you mean the old tattered, printed out list of prospects I have clipped together in the corner over there (from which I (ALONE) make hundreds of cold-calls each week)? THAT 'marketing arm' of my company?!?!"

Re: My personality (trustworthy, boy scout type, what they want to determine via in-person meeting, etc.)...
Another funny story (makes me laugh, anyway) -- some sowpubbers might find this amusing...

About a year ago, a vacationer in a condo down the hall from me had a plumbing leak emergency. I went over and helped him figure it all out, including helping him figure out what to demand from his rental agent (it was a huge inconvenience for the renter!).

It turned out this renter was some high end lawyer -- as he was thanking me for helping him out, he COMPLIMENTED ME by saying the way I took control of the situation + broke it all down into very simple, logical steps, etc. (basically: mind like a steel trap attribute), reminded him of a friend of his... WHO BECAME THE CEO OF TRANSAMERICA CORPORATION!!!

I don't know who that is, but let's just say, at some point along the way, our (ahem) career paths (ahem) DIVERGED.

Cheers!

-- TW

Last edited by -TW : February 20, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old February 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
-TW

Default Maybe I can use GoToMeeting.com (?)

Maybe that's a good compromise? When the time comes, maybe I'll suggest that.