SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 24, 2009, 08:13 AM
-TW

Default Re: TOTALLY SUDDEN (+ troublesome) mindset shift - anyone else?

I go through some highs + lows, yes -- but really guys -- no hospitalization required. Thanks for the concern though. :-)

-- TW
Old August 24, 2009, 01:57 PM
Sandi Bowman

Thanks for the info, Michael. I just reply to a post unless it is 'obvious' spam on the theory that, if someone really did need help, they'd get it. The spammers well...we all know where they can go, don't we?

TW, in all seriousness, you do seem to swing a rather wide path emotionally so perhaps some kind of checkup might be in order, just to be on the safe side. Doubt if you'd need anything as drastic as hospitalization, however.

Sandi Bowman
Old August 24, 2009, 05:51 PM
-TW

Thank you for that, Dr. Sandi.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:56 PM
-TW

Default Could be a good thing...

People buy via emotions, yes?

P'raps the ability to express emotions through typed words (copy) -- done in such a way that the reader can feel (absorb, pick up on) the emotions of the writer is a good skill to have when writing copy, no?

Cheers.

-- TW
Old August 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Landlord Rental

Hey TW,
I once pursued a career in psychology (and have since abandoned it for real estate), but there was a principle that I found both impressive and disturbing that I think you might appreciate.
Basically, a series of research studies established that people suffering from depression were far more realistic in projecting what they were capable of doing in future endeavors, ranging from business projects to creative works, etc, while healthy individuals were wildly over-optimistic in their own abilities.
However, it was this very unfounded optimism that enabled the healthy individuals to occasionally succeed in doing something extraordinary and improbable. Because they were audacious enough to believe they were capable of superhuman feats, every once in a while they would pull off something deemed impossible or improbable by the researchers and the community at large.
So you see, while it's "rational" to be pragmatic in your assessment of what's possible, it is a case where reason actually inhibits your growth and progress. You're absolutely right about everyone else in the world being unreliable, and your business might be on shaky ground, and all of those other unpleasant thoughts - but those thoughts won't help you improve your business. Be unreasonable in your pursuits, and you'll achieve unreasonable results.
Hope that little social science pep talk helped!
Old August 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
-TW

Default Ignorance is bliss?

Maybe that's right.

One form of 'depression' is 'grandiosity' aka: illusions of grandeur.

I'm kinda bi-polar I guess. I swing from one to the other. My dad made me feel I could do anything + my mom, the reverse. So, I am a product of those two conflicting messages.

The thing that started this thread was my realizing that it is NOT easy to accomplish what I always thought/ASSUMED would be easy.

A 'where the rubber meets the road' moment.

Where grandiosity meets pragmatism. Where dream meets dirt.

I always went along life thinking, "oh, any time I want to, I can (just quickly) start [insert any number of "FOR-SURE" biz opps here]."

Then, as I finally started to DO/launch some of them, I realized it's not as easy/quick as I had always envisioned.

The bursting of a LONG-held balloon is shattering. It is the sudden elimination of the 'ignorance' you are saying is a good thing.

One can be too stupid to know any better + succeed BECAUSE of that -- but, presumably reality hits in similar ways, because reality is reality -- and, in the final analysis, there's NO getting around it/that. No?

-- TW