SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How one website got HUGE publicity - for free...

This is an interesting publicity stunt - which, in the end, cost the website next-to-nothing, yet in the end got it thousands of mentions in articles, on radio, and on television!

The website SugarDaddie.com - which is a website for those who want to date wealthy people - offered $1.35 million to the town of Sugar House, Utah, if they would change the name of the town to SugarDaddie.com for 10 years.

Of course, the proposal was rejected by the Sugar House Community Council! That's why it cost SugarDaddie.com next to nothing!

However - even if it was accepted - I'm sure they would have gotten more than $1.35 million in publicity out of it. Nevertheless, this is probably a case where rejection is probably the best outcome for SugarDaddie.com - because it means the publicity is really free!

So, I guess the key is - make an outrageous demand, but in a way where you can almost be sure it will be turned down (since, I'm sure they don't really want to pay the $1.35 million!).

Apparently, they've done this before. Earlier, they offered Sugar Land, Texas, $4.65 million for the town to change its name to SugarDaddie.com (and they were rejected, which I'm sure is the outcome they were looking for!).

I guess they have to hit the "sweet spot" - an offer that sounds like it could be real, which is outrageous, yet which they can be sure will be rejected (so they don't have to pay out, and yet still get tons of free publicity).

Brilliant!

Here's an article about it...

Stupid PR Stunt Offers Sugar House $1.35 Million For Name Change
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/blog-...me-change.html

Best wishes!

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : February 23, 2013 at 01:40 PM.