SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 26, 2017, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default Book Review: HOW TO BE EVERYTHING by Emilie Wapnick

A guide for those who (still) don't know what they want to be when they grow up.

I think many of you will find this book meaningful. Useful even.

Group hug? Slash? Einstein? Phoenix? No matter how you want to have your cake and eat it too, there is practical and useful advice in this book. It does require some ACTIVITY, like writing out lists and creating your personal productivity system...

for those of you like me, who want to be EVERYTHING, I think you will find this book a help to you, IF you take time to read and DO some of the exercises.

Gordon
Old October 26, 2017, 08:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Book Review: HOW TO BE EVERYTHING by Emilie Wapnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
A guide for those who (still) don't know what they want to be when they grow up.

I think many of you will find this book meaningful. Useful even.

Group hug? Slash? Einstein? Phoenix? No matter how you want to have your cake and eat it too, there is practical and useful advice in this book. It does require some ACTIVITY, like writing out lists and creating your personal productivity system...

for those of you like me, who want to be EVERYTHING, I think you will find this book a help to you, IF you take time to read and DO some of the exercises.
Thanks Gordon,

This sounds like me to a T!

I plan to check it out...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Thanks, the amount of "light" you share boggles the mind, and I'm always appreciative of your wisdom...
Old October 27, 2017, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default As a matter of fact. Turn topage 124. See yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks Gordon,

This sounds like me to a T!

I plan to check it out...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Thanks, the amount of "light" you share boggles the mind, and I'm always appreciative of your wisdom...

Dien, I really think you can have an AH HA moment, when you read about the PHOENIX APPROACH and on page 124, the "abandon Ph.D." guys, it will give you some great insight.

One of the better books I've read this year. I saw myself too in the mix and also said, AH, good idea.

GordonJ
Old October 28, 2017, 10:06 PM
Fishman

Default Re: As a matter of fact. Turn topage 124. See yourself.

...REVELATIONS...throughout the land....this explains my wife....and....myself....to a TEE.....and I have a feeling....MANY...MANY...others as well.....the movie....TRON...depicts this....and TRON the Animated Series....even better......I believe this is the...."GOD CONSCIOUSNESS"......and also...another reason for so many today.....having trouble...finding...."their"..."way".............. ............https://www.ted.com/talks/emilie_wap...true_ calling
Old October 29, 2017, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Her mistake, and one we make all too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
...REVELATIONS...throughout the land....this explains my wife....and....myself....to a TEE.....and I have a feeling....MANY...MANY...others as well.....the movie....TRON...depicts this....and TRON the Animated Series....even better......I believe this is the...."GOD CONSCIOUSNESS"......and also...another reason for so many today.....having trouble...finding...."their"..."way".............. ............https://www.ted.c.<br /> <br /> om...true_ calling

At the point of boredom, is where the Tim Ferris SYSTEMS idea comes into play, setting up machine like robots to do the boredom.

As Emilie points out, multipotentialites learn how to bring their past experiences into a new thing, like her example of Nora Dunn took her piano skills to the typewriter.

I failed to set up systems, or machines to take over many of the experiences.

She points out the 3 skills of a multipotentialite:

Idea Synthesis
Rapid Learning
Adapatability

Now in a post about BORROWING skills, or leverage...when I walk into a business, I acknowledge the false premise the business owner has, they think their business is UNIQUE. It isn't, but I come at them from THEIR direction.

You business is unique. Because I did not find my thing, what I was supposed to be when I grew up, and therefore, never grew up...

I bring all three of these with me, so I can quickly learn their business, adapt what I know to them through idea synthesis.

When I say her mistake, what I am really saying is MY, OUR and YOUR if applicable.

The reason I like her book, she gives some practical ideas which if combined with the idea of using systems and machine methods,

should allow people like US to maintain our diverse interests while gaining financial stability and freedom too.

I think I will combine her concepts with systems and SQ1 and maybe have something for those of us who don't know what the single thing is we want to be when we grow up...

we want to be EVERYTHING. And she says, why not? Or as Adam Sandler's little buddy in his movies might shout: (Rob Schneider) You can do it
man

Gordon