SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
Brad

Default Your Motivation...

When trying to achieve inspiration and motivation for a business
venture, what motivates you most between these two sources...?

(

1. Other's personal success stories in your industry of interest. (ex.
Format of "Chicken Soup For The _______")

2. A step by step "How To..." guideline to reaching your goal in your
industry of interest. (ex. Format of "______ For Dummies" series of
books)

If you can, please explain why you prefer one over the other. Thanks.
Old September 29, 2003, 05:38 PM
Dien Rice

Default You can achieve more of your dreams with effective motivation...

> When trying to achieve inspiration and
> motivation for a business
> venture, what motivates you most between
> these two sources...?

> (

> 1. Other's personal success stories in your
> industry of interest. (ex.
> Format of "Chicken Soup For The
> _______")

> 2. A step by step "How To..."
> guideline to reaching your goal in your
> industry of interest. (ex. Format of
> "______ For Dummies" series of
> books)

> If you can, please explain why you prefer
> one over the other. Thanks.

Hi Brad,

I personally prefer inspirational stories for motivation.

However, they have to seem like they are "reproducible". That is, I have to be able to read it, and think to myself - he/she did it, and if I apply myself, I probably can too!

Not all success stories seem reproducible. For example, Bill Gates' story doesn't seem reproducible to me. There's a story that Bill Gates's mom was on the board of IBM - which may have been a positive effect in helping him get the contract with IBM to provide MS-DOS - his first big break. Unless your mom (or other relative) is on the board of some giant company, that's going to be hard to reproduce.

However, other big successes seem more reproducible. Without going into details, I think the stories of people like Richard Branson, Warren Buffett, Michael Dell, Kirk Kerkorian (and others) are more "reproducible" than Bill Gates' story.

There are other ways to motivate.... One way is in Michael Ross's "Success Report". It really works. In fact, it's what a lot of people really use to motivate themselves, without realizing it. When you understand it, you can use this way much more effectively to motivate yourself.

If you have some sales skills, another way to motivate yourself is to sell yourself on doing whatever it is you want to do. Sell yourself on the benefits of whatever that activity might be. When you keep the prime benefits of a particular activity in the forefront of your mind, it's easier to do the activity.

- Dien Rice
Old September 29, 2003, 09:02 PM
Brad

Default Re: You can achieve more of your dreams with effective motivation... (DNO)

Old September 29, 2003, 09:07 PM
Brad

Default Re: You can achieve more of your dreams with effective motivation...

Hey Dien. Thanks for the long response to my question. I am currently working on a a series of books titled "Inspirvation - Stories That Inspire & Motivate." The first book is going to be on entrepreneurs and I am just testing my theory that hearing various personal stories of other successes is more productive towards reaching a goal than hearing a step by step guideline that reads like a rule book. There is definately more than one way to achieve something, and I want to show that through personal stories from people who have created their own dream in unique ways.

As this book becomes successful (Crosses fingers) I want to release books of success stories on different subjects. Maybe have "Inspirvational" books for people who have cancer, want to become a doctor, want to buy a house, etc.. I think the amount of subjects that can be written about is eternal. I want the "Inspirvation" brand to be like the Chicken Soup series of books except deal with other matters. Understand?

What do you think of this idea? Does the title "Inspirvation" ring well with you? Just curious. No problem if you dont want to respond. Thanks again for the lengthy response. Brad
Old September 29, 2003, 11:19 PM
DaveH

Default Brad, Great Idea, I think.....

We all are somewhat motivated by success stories.

Like Dien said, they are more motivating personally if it seems like you could actually repeat their accomplishments.

So, success stories can be motivating, but...
(there's always a but, isn't there?)

You can be totally motivated but if you don't have a clue as to the steps you need to take, then all that motivation can be mis-directed.

When a person has a bad case of info overload, and is confused by all the different advice, then sometimes a simple Step-by-Step may be a lot more effective for them, than more success stories.

IMHO: I think that it takes some of both.

BTW: Michael's "Success Report" is very good, highly recommended to everyone, especially procrastinators, fence-straddlers, and anyone having a hard time jumping from learning to DOing.

I have a question or two somewhat related to yours. I'll have to make it a new post.

Best of Success Brad,
Dave Horn

PURE GOLD for Everyone: Newbie to Guru - More Hi-Quality Content than very expensive Guru courses
Old September 30, 2003, 12:49 AM
Brad

Default I Agree Dave...

I believe if the book is to cover all the bases as far as the entrepreneur subject goes, it is going to have to have a hint of procedure mixed in. When a entrepreneur sits down to write their story, there will minor references that will be required to be covered as part of the submission.

The main focus of the book will be to show how these people dug deep within to make their dreams come true. (Overcoming an obstacle and how the experience was handled, taking a miracle occurance and explaining the individual's take on why things happened how it did, etc) I want the stories to be powerful in such a way that it does not deal so much with numbers and partnerships, but the person's faith and persistance to make their dream come true.

As the stories unfold, I think the steps to success will explain themselves naturally.

Any and all feedback on the series of books will be taken to heart and I appreciate the messages I have recieved already. Thanks. Brad
Old October 3, 2003, 08:10 AM
Scott

Default Re: Your Motivation...

> When trying to achieve inspiration and
> motivation for a business
> venture, what motivates you most between
> these two sources...?
> (
> 1. Other's personal success stories in your
> industry of interest. (ex.
> Format of "Chicken Soup For The
> _______")
> 2. A step by step "How To..."
> guideline to reaching your goal in your
> industry of interest. (ex. Format of
> "______ For Dummies" series of
> books)
> If you can, please explain why you prefer
> one over the other. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------

There is only 1 thing in life that motivates me the most. My family! Wakeing up everyday and seeing my 2 y/o daughters beautiful smile. Does it every time :)

Last edited by Dien Rice : October 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM.