SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 15, 2015, 05:29 PM
Chuck

Default What "Longmire" Taught Me About Marketing

In the states a popular TV show is "Longmire" about an old fashioned Western Sheriff in the modern day.

In one episode he finds a deputy who's bleeding to death from a gunshot wound so he stitches him up with fishing line and takes him to the nearest medical clinic - an ill equipped one on a reservation.

Seeing the horrible first aid and the poor condition of the patient... the attendant says "Why didn't you call 911?"

Longmire says "I am 911".

I've got tickets to a trade show.

I'm going to be wearing clothes, a hat and a sign designed to attract attention to something I want to promote.

I showed a friend what I was wearing and he said "But that doesn't fit the theme of this year's trade show' (something Western).

My inner Longmire must have kicked in...

"I AM MY OWN THEME!" I said...
Old September 22, 2015, 02:11 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: What "Longmire" Taught Me About Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I've got tickets to a trade show.

I'm going to be wearing clothes, a hat and a sign designed to attract attention to something I want to promote.

I showed a friend what I was wearing and he said "But that doesn't fit the theme of this year's trade show' (something Western).

My inner Longmire must have kicked in...

"I AM MY OWN THEME!" I said...
Thanks Chuck!

Sometimes it's better to stand out from the crowd, than to blend in...!

Sounds like that's what you're doing...

It'd be interesting to know how the trade show experience was for you...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old September 22, 2015, 08:37 PM
Chuck

Dien,

Thanks for reminding me of something else.

When I was at that trade show I was amazed at all the people with displays.

I wondered though if anyone actually SOLD anything or recovered their investment in booth, promotional items, payroll expense or lost time of sitting around, etc.

A hotel restaurant next to me did a great job giving out samples. I wouldn't be surprised if they got new customers. I "knew" there was a restaurant there but until recently I didn't know the food there was as good or better than the stand alone restaurants. I figured it was another hotel dining room of questionable value... only attracting guests. I was wrong about them!

I ended up getting a coupon for a $90 air conditioner service package when managing the booth that day... so I got something for my time!

I'm just wondering if anyone was making real money there besides the convention center...
Old September 22, 2015, 08:24 PM
Chuck

Thanks for asking Dien!

Well I decided to try something for our church. We do what's called a "House Blessing" (Facebook page link) to welcome new folks to the community... or any folks.

So I went to drum up some business. I tried a big sign like one of Glenn O's ezines said... I got LOTS of looks, conversation etc but no takers (by going I did get one lined up from a person I hadn't seen in years and wouldn't have seen unless I'd gone there... so I did get a sign up for us).

I reported my results to Glenn and found out that before they guy he wrote about had used his own sign, he had tested language/offers on a smaller seminar/name tag so that having a big sign would amplify a proven message.

My message was untested.... but, oh well, that's a learning experience.

I got to sit in a booth to watch it while that person checked the other booths so I got to practice attracting the attention of business people.

I noticed the business people who were trying to be sales resistant often walked in herds and had their arms crossed and were in the middle of the aisle unlike the people who wanted to grab free swag from as many people as possible.

The person was offering a free pizza at the best place in town so it was easy once I got their attention to get them to leave a card. I sure hope the person following up gets some good business out of it.

It was fun getting back into practice... hadn't been at a trade show in a LONG TIME to help out that way...

Thanks again for asking!