SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 15, 2008, 03:29 AM

Default How To Eradicate Poverty

Today is Blog Action Day - where a few thousand bloggers will post their thoughts on poverty. (http://www.BlogActionDay.org)

What do you think needs to be done to eradicate poverty completely from this world? (Or do you think its an impossible task?)
Old October 15, 2008, 04:36 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Define Poverty...

Ankesh,

Thanks for asking.

The question shouldn't be "What do I think needs to be done to eradicate poverty".

It Should be... "Do I think Anything should be done to eradicate poverty?"

See the difference?

The first version Assumes we should do something to eradicate poverty.
The second question asks if we should do something.

Poverty. Poor. Needy. They are all generic terms used by do-gooder groups to garner support/money from other people.

You want to eradicate Poverty? First define what Poverty is. Define what Poor is? Define needy?

I'll add nothing else until you have those definitions. But will leave with this... you do not help anyone by stealing from productive people and giving it to unproductive people, or people who have shown no ability to handle/manage what they earn, let alone what they are given.

Michael Ross
Old October 15, 2008, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Define Poverty...

Thanks Michael.

I agree with you with "you do not help anyone by stealing from productive people and giving it to unproductive people, or people who have shown no ability to handle/manage what they earn, let alone what they are given."

(You could read my views on dealing with poverty on the nontoxin.com blog. You'll like the title at least... it is: "How To Eradicate Poverty (Without Doing Charity)")

Poverty = when people can't afford the basic "survival" amenities of life. Roof over their head. Clean water to drink. Food to eat. Ability to pay their medical bills.

You may say that its not our job to help give these people a roof over their head. And provide them with food or water.

But I think people's standard of living is pretty much like the fax problem. The higher the number of fax machines, the better are things for everyone. Similarly, the higher the number of un-poor people, the better the society is for everyone.

Because richness is not having money. Its circulation of money.

---

This to me is poverty that we should work to eradicate - even if it means being anti-objectivist:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/...b__430x387.jpg

Last edited by Ankesh : October 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added the photo link...
Old October 15, 2008, 09:06 AM
-TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Poverty = when people can't afford the basic amenities of life. Roof over their head. Clean water to drink. Food to eat. Ability to pay their medical bills.

Yes -- but isn't that pretty much everyone, if we were to stop pedaling our financial bicycles furiously (if we were to stop actively being productive)?

One aspect of poverty that needs to be focused on is, HOW DID [whomever] GET (to be) POOR?!?!

The answer to that question makes a BIG difference, when you ask yourself what needs to be 'done' about it.

-- TW
Old October 15, 2008, 09:41 AM

Millions of people didn't GET poor. They were BORN poor.

How would you go about teaching them to become productive?

Last edited by Ankesh : October 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
SteveSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Millions of people didn't GET poor. They were BORN poor.

How would you go about teaching them to become productive?

Great question Ankesh!

I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be but I recall reading in the book "INFLUENCER - The Power To Change Anything"
about someone in India who started to give out micro loans to poor people so they could start businesses.

And the success rate of those he helps is very high!

Some people just need a hand up - not a hand out.

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
Old October 15, 2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks Steve.

That someone is Muhammad Yunus. He is from Bangladesh. He started the Grameen Bank. Which has been modeled by a lot of other countries now.

And the bank had 98% rate of loan payback because Muhammad gave out loans only when people who wanted money grouped together.

The groups added to peer pressure - the groups made sure that each member paid their loans on time. And each person worked hard. The group also worked as a mastermind - helping a member with difficulties.

So it wasn't just micro-financing. It was micro-financing + groups that did that trick.
Old October 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
KenWeyer

Default Re: How To Eradicate Poverty

Ankesh,

I was going to mention micro-financing!

I think that is a great way to give a hand up and not a hand out.

I am wanting to invest in micro-financing.

A question for everyone. Which organization should be invested in? Which is on the level with the money going to help the people and mot the administration? Which helps the most people? Where would my money do the most good?

OK. It was more than one question but you get my drift.

Thanks,
Ken
Old October 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

http://www.kiva.org is a good bet. (No personal experience though - but have heard good things.)
Old October 15, 2008, 05:18 PM
KenWeyer

Thanks, I have heard of them. I was looking at World Vision. Do you know anything about them?

Ken