SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 10, 2015, 12:26 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Where Gary Halbert was blind!

I love the writings of the late Gary Halbert. You know how I can tell I love them?

It's because I keep going back to his website, and reading his newsletters... Some of them are so fascinating...

His writing style draws me in!

However, I was just reading one of the newsletters, and was thinking... Gary, you've gotten this one wrong!

Do you want to know what I'm talking about?

Here's what Gary wrote...
Well, guess what? In spite of all my successes, all my luck, all my doing everything just so... that "sweet spot"... has always managed to elude me. Finally, as we approach the beginning of an entirely new century, I have managed to figure out why I can't find that "sweet spot." Simply put...

It Don't
Exist!

Not in this world anyway. Show me a guy worth 100 gazillion dollars and I guarantee, he won't be in that "sweet spot." He'll have 167 things on his "to do" list. He won't have enough time or energy to have a real and satisfying relationship with a member of the opposite sex. And he'll frantically be trying to juggle 30,000 balls in the air all at the same time.

Show me the very best marriage or relationship you know about. Show me a couple so "right" for each other they absolutely "glow" when they are together. Let me hire a private detective to record their lives with hidden microphones and TV cameras... and then... I guarantee you will be astonished at how much stress they are dealing with in their lives!

Show me any retired person you know. Pick someone who has meticulously prepared for his or her retirement. Let's put the hidden cameras and microphones on that person and what will we find? Unexpected aches and pains? Loneliness? Despair? Poor health? Depression? Etc.
From here - http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/...be_running.htm

Gary was a very talented copywriter and marketer... But it's no secret that he wasn't very good at investing his money for a rainy day.

So, people who knew him directly have told me that financially, he had his ups and downs...

So how was Gary wrong? He's assuming that everyone is just like him...

Let me give you an example...

A guy who has 2 million bucks, and invested it in something that was giving him even just a 5% return... Is making $100k a year, doing nothing! (How do you make a 5% passive return? One way would be the rental income on property.)

So what about this guy Gary mentions worth "100 gazillion dollars?" I guarantee, someone worth that much has investments, and they are making a lot of passive income money on that!

So what's the point of this? It's great to make a great income from your "sweat," like Gary did...

But what's also wise, is to learn how to invest it when you do make it!

What kind of investments? There are all kinds. But I think the best kinds are those which, themselves, earn an income as well...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 10, 2015, 01:50 AM
Don Alm

Default Re: Where Gary Halbert was blind!

I was fortunate enough to know Gary and do business with him and learn some KEY Marketing stuff from him.

One thing not many people know is.....Gary got "overly rambunctious" with one project and had to spend 2 yrs in the slam. While there he wrote a sort of "Marketing Journal", jotting down everything he knew about Sales, Marketing & Promotion.

He did this to give to his son when he got out.....called "The BORON Letters".

Gary gave me a copy and I've referred to it often.

Gary could create a Full Page Ad .....run it in a Newspaper and get a HUGE response. He was Tova Borgnine's (Ernies wife) marketing guy for her cosmetic line. I first met him when he came to Colorado to do the marketing for a large furniture store that had the street in front of their store torn up for 3 months. Gary helped that biz not only survive but thrive. His ads in the Denver Post were Classics.

I attended one of his Marketing Seminars at his Florida office. The same one where I first met Bill Myers (another great marketing guy) This was back in 1996 when the internet was getting up and running. During the seminar Gary would post an ad on a Forum...with the phone number at the seminar and.....we all watched in amazement when, a few minutes later....calls began coming in. Absolutely amazing.

And Gary phoned me when he bought Lloyd Bridges boat that was used in Lloyd's TV Series ... Sea Hunt. He was Sooo excited.

Yup....Gary was terrible at managing money. He'd be almost broke then get a Hot Flash" and collect $25,000 or more. He knew how to charge and get BIG Buz from clients.

Thanks for mentioning Gary...he was a master at writing Sales Letters.

Don Alm
Old April 10, 2015, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Our normal exchanges...

Dien,

I think you saw the last email Gary sent me, it was typical of our conversations, which began in the 1960s...

They went something like this; me reminding him of the "sins of the flesh" and he reminding me that I could go f8k myself.

Even so, he had enough respect to encourage Ben Suarez to get me, which I eventually did go to work for.

We were polar opposites, but he was one of the best at what he did.

OH, and now that Ben is sitting in Club Fed, I wonder if he will pen his own version of the Boron Letters, some of the best work ever on the direct marketing business.

Gordon

PS. Instead of being a criminal, Ben was simply too early, a pioneer, because shortly after his "crime" was committed, the rules changed and corporations became people without restrictions on their political contributions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I love the writings of the late Gary Halbert. You know how I can tell I love them?

It's because I keep going back to his website, and reading his newsletters... Some of them are so fascinating...

His writing style draws me in!

However, I was just reading one of the newsletters, and was thinking... Gary, you've gotten this one wrong!

Do you want to know what I'm talking about?

Here's what Gary wrote...
Well, guess what? In spite of all my successes, all my luck, all my doing everything just so... that "sweet spot"... has always managed to elude me. Finally, as we approach the beginning of an entirely new century, I have managed to figure out why I can't find that "sweet spot." Simply put...

It Don't
Exist!

Not in this world anyway. Show me a guy worth 100 gazillion dollars and I guarantee, he won't be in that "sweet spot." He'll have 167 things on his "to do" list. He won't have enough time or energy to have a real and satisfying relationship with a member of the opposite sex. And he'll frantically be trying to juggle 30,000 balls in the air all at the same time.

Show me the very best marriage or relationship you know about. Show me a couple so "right" for each other they absolutely "glow" when they are together. Let me hire a private detective to record their lives with hidden microphones and TV cameras... and then... I guarantee you will be astonished at how much stress they are dealing with in their lives!

Show me any retired person you know. Pick someone who has meticulously prepared for his or her retirement. Let's put the hidden cameras and microphones on that person and what will we find? Unexpected aches and pains? Loneliness? Despair? Poor health? Depression? Etc.
From here - http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/...be_running.htm

Gary was a very talented copywriter and marketer... But it's no secret that he wasn't very good at investing his money for a rainy day.

So, people who knew him directly have told me that financially, he had his ups and downs...

So how was Gary wrong? He's assuming that everyone is just like him...

Let me give you an example...

A guy who has 2 million bucks, and invested it in something that was giving him even just a 5% return... Is making $100k a year, doing nothing! (How do you make a 5% passive return? One way would be the rental income on property.)

So what about this guy Gary mentions worth "100 gazillion dollars?" I guarantee, someone worth that much has investments, and they are making a lot of passive income money on that!

So what's the point of this? It's great to make a great income from your "sweat," like Gary did...

But what's also wise, is to learn how to invest it when you do make it!

What kind of investments? There are all kinds. But I think the best kinds are those which, themselves, earn an income as well...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 10, 2015, 02:41 PM
Don Alm

Holy Camoly.....Ben was one of my "marketing heroes". I remember getting stuff from him while he was traveling in his MotorHome.

I remember when he started his biz and built it up. At the time, Gary lived in the same area of Ohio and my first contact with Gary was when he ran full page ads for (I forgot what) a $3 Report where he got thousands to buy and build his List.

I had photos of Gary and Ben in Ben's living room with hundreds of orders strewn across the floor.

Well...too bad Ben, like Gary, let Greed Glands take over.

Don Alm....reminescing about the GOOD early days of Marketing
Old April 10, 2015, 09:00 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Gary Halbert's take on... Castration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
I was fortunate enough to know Gary and do business with him and learn some KEY Marketing stuff from him.

One thing not many people know is.....Gary got "overly rambunctious" with one project and had to spend 2 yrs in the slam. While there he wrote a sort of "Marketing Journal", jotting down everything he knew about Sales, Marketing & Promotion.

He did this to give to his son when he got out.....called "The BORON Letters".

Gary gave me a copy and I've referred to it often.
Hi Don,

There's no doubt, Gary Halbert was very talented! A marketing genius, even!

And he could certainly "suck you in" with his writing... And hold you till the end!

You know what? Everyone can read "The Boron Letters" for free!

Go to this page...

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/...r-archives.htm

and scroll down around halfway to the end of that very long page. You'll see a bunch of headlines,

"Boron Letters - Chapter 1," "...Chapter 2," etc.

(Yes, it's legal - that's Gary's website, now run by his sons.)

You can also buy a copy at Amazon, too.

Gary used a number of techniques... I've experimented with what I've learned. However, I've lacked something... What's that? I haven't yet had the fearlessness to use a headline like,

like Gary did!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Gary Halbert once posted to Sowpub. The original is still in the archives (I've got to get those up to date), but I reposted it here... The psychology he mentioned in his post is quite brilliant!

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthre...14882#poststop

(Unfortunately, he didn't reveal the legal way he figured out how to do what he was talking about in that post...)
Old April 10, 2015, 09:08 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Our normal exchanges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
OH, and now that Ben is sitting in Club Fed, I wonder if he will pen his own version of the Boron Letters, some of the best work ever on the direct marketing business.

Gordon

PS. Instead of being a criminal, Ben was simply too early, a pioneer, because shortly after his "crime" was committed, the rules changed and corporations became people without restrictions on their political contributions.
Hi Gordon,

I hadn't thought of that angle... That if Ben had waited till that Supreme Court ruling (on unlimited political contributions), he probably would have saved himself a lot of trouble...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 17, 2015, 02:21 PM
Joe

Wondered why I hadn't heard from Ben in years. Didn't know that.

I actually bought the Boron Letters from Gary. I think it wasn't very long before he published them on his site.

But I wasn't bitter. Great learning material.