SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 16, 2008, 12:13 AM
Todd

Default Do The Rich Owe the Poor?

I heard most of this on the radio and it was very interesting, so I found a link to the article. Seems to make sense to me, but obviously the government doesn't get it.

http://townhall.com/columnists/Andre...&comments=true
Old November 16, 2008, 06:12 AM
Steve MacLellan

Default Here is what is surprising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Tallman
I had to overcome a Master’s Degree in grasping this elementary concept

I noted in the author's biography that it said, he "...taught philosophy professionally as an intellectual mercenary at any college that would have him..."

The word "college" (as defined by Webster) can also be "British slang for prison".

I hope he didn't spend too much on his education...

Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Old November 16, 2008, 06:32 AM
Pete Egeler

Default Re: Do The Rich Owe the Poor?

The guy makes a good argument for stupid!

What the rich DO owe, is taxes.

Like it or not, facts are facts.

The "rich" have a higher tax rate BUT with loopholes, deductions for everybody and Sam's cat, they actually pay LESS taxes.

And, I've been able to figure that out all by myself over the past 67-years.

Pete
Old November 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
Steve MacLellan

Wink Re: Do The Rich Owe the Poor?

The rich may pay less tax because of loopholes -- but they still pay tax. I'm not rich but I will pay more tax this year then a single mother I know with two kids, earns at her job. And what do you think she will pay for tax this year? It doesn't matter -- she will get everything she paid back, when she files.

But you make a good point here Pete:

Quote:
The guy makes a good argument for stupid!

The article is nothing more then verbal diahrehia, expounding upon a topic that anyone with better then a grade 8 eduction is aware of.

But as a business owner, I don't have any problem with the woman with two kids driving on better highways, having better medical coverage, improved schools, etc., etc., etc. Sure, I might complain at times how I resent paying so much in taxes, but I'd like to think some of it goes to projects and people that can use it, rather then being wasted on superficial government expenditures. You have to take the good with the bad....

The same tax breaks the wealthy get, will be available to you when you become wealthy. And becoming wealthy is a matter of choice, for some of us. If you become wealthy, you won't complain about these tax breaks because you will be using them to put extra dollars in your pocket too.

But money isn't everything....

A friend of mine; we are the same age -- he's makes twice what I make. In his free time (which he doesn't have compared to the free time I have) he likes to come down to my cottage (on the Bay of Fundy) and he likes to hunt and fish -- like I do.

We had a discussion this Summer about how I could make more money if I wanted to. Sure, he has a little nicer place to live, drives a little nicer car, but when it comes right down to it, both of us like to spend our time fishing and hunting. I told him... I don't want to make any more money. I'm happy where I'm at, and it gives me plenty of free time to enjoy things that I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
And, I've been able to figure that out all by myself over the past 67-years.

Good! Then we won't have any argument over Andrew Tallman's article. It's a free country and even idiots can get degrees.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Old November 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
Sandi Bowman

The original rationale for all those tax loopholes for the rich was the so-called 'trickle down effect' which was supposed to provide more jobs, better financial stability to businesses, and a better life for all. Unfortunately, for the most part, it hasn't worked out that way. The rich give only where it benefits them directly in some way or another, they invest where they can get more tax benefits or write-offs (which amount to the same thing for them), and make a big ballyhoo when they do something truly unselfish and provide some benefits to those less well off.

Frankly, if the rich paid their way, in the way that middle class folks do, folks wouldn't have to cope with so much corruption and greed, wouldn't have to crawl and beg for the basic essentials in life because the wealthys' 'fair share' would pay for a lot of it. There are some mighty good (and some bad) arguments for a flat tax rate as long as those on the lowest levels, not the highest levels of income, are accounted for with compassion. That's where the tax breaks should be, folks...for those who need the income the most to provide for life and health.

Sandi Bowman
Old November 16, 2008, 03:44 PM
L.B. Jenkins

Before I comment, I am not rich but I am one who reads and thinks and weighs out the issues.

When it comes to the whole argument about the rich not paying their fair share in taxes, I would like to know what you are measuring that by. Before you comment consider the following:

It is the rich that assume the greatest risk in business, not the poor or middle class. Would you want to assume their risks?

It is the rich that employ the poor and middle class and pay half or more of each employee's taxes. Would you want them to stop doing this and you be responsible for paying all of your employment taxes?

It is the rich that provide the most jobs, expand their businesses to create even more jobs. Would you want them to stop doing this?

It is the rich that everyone looks to for a hand out, not the poor or middle class. Would you prefer the poor or middle class look to you for a hand out?

It is the rich that everyone complains about, but depends on the most.

Since the rich are providing the most jobs, to the poor and middle class, why is it that the poor and middle class employees do not want to take responsibility for their actions and will not do their jobs with professionalism and continually provide poor customer service?

Why is it that the poor and middle class want to live like the rich, have what the rich have, but are not willing to become rich so they can become like the rich?

Getting back to the original poster's question. "Do The Rich Owe The Poor?"

Nobody owes anybody anything. Each individual owes it to himself, his family, his neighbors and his country to be diligent and be the very best they can. That is what makes for a prosperous union for all.

The moment you take your eyes off your goal and start looking around at what so & so isn't doing, or why that business isn't paying their fair share, then you have lost the race for success.

Those who succeed focus on the goal they're striving for. If more people spent more time pushing on and ignored the dogmas that drag us down, we wouldn't have near the complaining that idle people seem to thrive on.

Last edited by L.B. Jenkins : November 16, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old November 16, 2008, 07:12 PM
Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacLellan View Post
Sure, I might complain at times how I resent paying so much in taxes, but I'd like to think some of it goes to projects and people that can use it, rather then being wasted on superficial government expenditures.

According to the Grace Commission report:

Quote:
With two-thirds of everyone's personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the Federal debt and by Federal Government contributions to transfer payments. In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services which taxpayers expect from their Government.

That was in 1984. Probably still true.
Old November 17, 2008, 03:19 AM
MichaelRoss

Default No-One Owes Anyone Else - Rich or Poor

Todd,

Thanks for putting the cat among the flying rats.

First, I want definitions. Before Anyone bags the rich, define Who these Rich are. Define these poor.

By using such a generic term as Rich and Poor, pollies Know people will think anyone who earns more than them are the Rich and they themselves are either poor or just above it in middle class. And it hides the true nature of the argument - taking the unearned in the first place. It stops being about Take / Not take to about being How Much To Take.

"What the rich DO owe, is taxes. "

According to Whom? And by what right? Pete.

Income Tax is nothing but Income Theft. To say, after I work my bunns off all day, that part of the fruits of my labor are Owed to someone else for no other reason than They Said, is akin to advocating Slavery. And to Take that money from me is Theft. Plain and simple. I doesn't matter what fancy term you use for it, nor your Reason for it.

E.g. Is it right or wrong for me to come into your house and under threat of violence, take money from your wallet?

I hope you said "wrong".

What if I ask someone on my behalf to do it?

Again, I hope you said "wrong".

So if *I* as an individual cannot do it, by what right does a group of individuals who call themselves Govt have to do the same thing in essence?

Side Note: All this talk about Bailout Money for the economy is BS. You want an economy to flourish? Don't give back the money you stole on a selective basis. Instead, let people Keep the fruits of their labor. Do not tax their income. Plain and simple. THAT will get the economy going.

Onward.

"You have to take the good with the bad"

Why Steve? Why do I Have to? Saying so is admitting that you think the govt can manage your money better than you and make better decisions with it. But you already say you disagree with how they spend Some of this money of yours they stole.

"Sure, he has a little nicer place to live, drives a little nicer car, but when it comes right down to it, both of us like to spend our time fishing and hunting. I told him... I don't want to make any more money. I'm happy where I'm at, and it gives me plenty of free time to enjoy things that I want to do."

This nicer car and place of your friends... nicer according to ?

"I don't want to make any more money"

So you're saying, if there was a way for you to make 50% more than you do now, without doing anything extra and by still doing exactly what you're doing now, you'd knock that back?

What happens in ten years when everyone else is earning more and prices are higher. You'll still be happy with your current income, seeing as you don't want to earn more?

Maybe you actually Mean something different. I don't know. I only have what you said to go by.

Money isn't everything?

No, it's not, Steve. But it's only ever said - given forth - by people who have resigned themselves to never having a Lot (however much a Lot is). No different resignation than those who say they'd rather be healthy than wealthy (why not both?). Or said by those with money who are trying to garner some kind of empathy with those they are telling it to.

E.g. Bill Myers saying when you have money you quickly discover how unimportant money is. If that's so, why doesn't he give his products away? Why does he still do stuff to make money? Because money IS important (his actions negate his words). And if you think it is so unimportant, give all yours away and go live in a tent in the middle of the bush (oh, he tried that already before he had money, decided it was better to have money after all).

Tallman's mistake is saying the money is an IOU back. It ain't. The moment those who buy movie tickets have handed the money over for the ticket, they are considering the transaction complete. They have exchanged one value (money) for another value (entertainment). They owe nothing to the movie producer and nor does the producer owe anything back. They have exchanged equal value in Their own eyes.

"Frankly, if the rich paid their way, in the way that middle class folks do, folks wouldn't have to cope with so much corruption and greed,"

Whoa up there Sandi. Paid their way? How so? Please explain how the Rich do not pay their way but the middle class do?

Greed and corruption come when it involves Taking from others without voluntary mutual consent free of coercion. When someone can grant or remove Permission for you to do something, it leads to corruption. That Power leads to greed. Because nothing is earned in a rightful way.

"the wealthys' 'fair share' would pay for a lot of it."

Fair Share? According to whom? And by what logic does someone who has already worked their way into a position of Having, suddenly owe anything to those below who are still coming up - or trying to come up - and to those who choose not to go anywhere?

"That's where the tax breaks should be, folks...for those who need the income the most to provide for life and health."

Who determines this Need of yours? Who is the arbiter of what someone Needs to provide for their life and health?

There should be no income tax, period. Otherwise, you are Punishing effort and rewarding laziness. And believe it is right to take that which you did not earn.

A person who earns $20k will pay, let's say for Example Sake Only, $4k tax. A person on $100k, if they pay the same Percentage, will pay $20k in tax - as much as the other person earned. So Already, they are paying More Money in tax.

To then turn around and say, well, you made $100k so can Afford to pay more in tax and so will, is now making people not equal. I don't care if they can Afford more tax. More money, higher percentage. They DID have more income to Spend which is what makes an economy flourish.

Look. It's simple. NOTHING happens until someone spends money.

Imagine a kingdom where the King has money and the plebs have nothing. The economy is still. The only way the economy will move and the plebs will get money is if they exchange some of their labor for the king's money. The only way that will happen is if the king wants something done - new garden, new building, whatever. Until the person with money is willing to spend it, nothing happens. And anyone with money, become the king in miniature - able to have stuff done (haircut for example).

If you Take the money away, they have nothing to spend, do they? So nothing then happens.

ALL the problems stem from the belief there is some Magic Right to the unearned.

If you are having problems grasping the concept, that there is no right to other people's labor fruits, trying watching this youtube on The Philosophy of Liberty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I (8 minutes)

Michael Ross

Last edited by MichaelRoss : November 17, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old November 17, 2008, 05:02 AM

Default Re: No Government is Impractical

While I agree with a lot of the things you say Michael - I think the notion of no government and no taxation is not practical.

Because history shows us that in absence of a stable government or power, there is total chaos. And warlords emerge. Anarchy is bad for the people.

And it requires just one person to be power-hungry to disrupt the way of living of people in absence of a government.

Say there is no government. And no taxes. Your more powerful neighbour comes and tells you that he owns your land. What do you do?

In absence of a government, there will always be more violence.

A government is needed for delivering justice. And to run the government - taxes are needed.

When there is a government, there is always the risk of the government coming and saying that the land you stay on is theirs. But thats the risk I think people have to take to prevent against anarchy. Who will govern the government will always be a problem. But having a government democratically elected as opposed to having anarchy - thats the lesser of 2 evils.
Old November 17, 2008, 07:08 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Government's Are Not Nannys

Ankesh,

Thanks for your thoughts.

In my post I did not say to Not have a govt nor did I say to Abolish all tax. I was specifically talking about Income Tax. A tax on your effort. Taxing that which you have earned from the sweat of your brow.

There are other ways a govt can generate revenue without needing to Tax effort - to steal the fruits of our labor. With the most simple one being a single 10% flat tax on Goods and Non Essential Foods (chocolate, for example). This way, tax is voluntary - if you don't want to pay tax you don't buy the item you don't Need. Don't want to pay $100 tax, don't by the $1,100 LCD/plasma big screen TV. Simple.

Also, a government can operate just like a company does in the private sector - user pays, in other words. And there is no reason it cannot be that way.

And, having money to Run a govt and having money to give away to anyone with a handout are two different things. That later is, as I said, where all the problems stem from.

Michael Ross