SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 14, 2020, 05:49 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default New business: Brick oven food cart pizzeria

Many would say, there's nothing that tastes better in the world than a wood-fired brick-oven baked pizza...

Yet two enterprising New Yorkers are cooking and selling their wood-fired brick-oven baked pizzas right on the sidewalk in Queens!

Every day they wheel their 4,500 pound wood-fired brick oven to the sidewalk. Then they fire it up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pizzas are available from 11 am, but many people line up before that time...

They shipped the portable pizza oven to New York oven from Naples, Italy. Their idea was to start a business serving pizzas at private parties.

The pandemic put an end to that idea, as private parties virtually disappeared... But when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

So they use their portable pizza oven to make and sell pizzas on the sidewalk...

Their business is called "Una Pizzeria Portatile," which means "a portable pizzeria" in English...

Wood-fired brick-oven baked pizzas as a kind of street cart food business? It could be a world first!

Best wishes,

Dien Rice

P.S. Join thousands of others on my free email list (by getting a couple of sample issues of the Hidden Business Ideas Letter) for more examples of small business innovation like this, for free...

http://www.hiddenbusinessideas.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Una Pizzeria Portatile.png (479.2 KB, 5 views)
Old December 15, 2020, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default Is this the latest cronut?

Some thought the Cronut, now 6 years later, was a fad.

Surprise! People still buying and waiting for them. And this pizza idea might be a big winner too. Please the taste buds, and bud, you gots a winner, winner chicken dinner.

My favorite, as I have told before...was a hamburger stand in Long Beach, CA in the mid 70's. Man and wife. Sold hamburgers. NO fries, but you could buy a bag of chips and a can of Pop (soda). The wife took orders, the husband cooked, non stop for 4 hours a day over the lunch hours, 5 days a week.

I never saw fewer than 5 people waiting in line and the phone rang constantly. It was basically a food truck without the wheels or mobility. Best dang burger there was. He did ONE thing, and if that was the one thing you wanted that day, then by golly, you waited.

If you are anything like me, I maybe, can count a handful of eateries that have stayed fresh in my memories for decades...of the billions of burgers I've consumed over the eons, this is the only one that stands out.

All you need folks, is ONE great product.

Thanks Dien for this great idea. Hey, you should load or make your 57 books a course on Udemy, I see a lot of those things selling for 19.95

Anyhow, next time in NYC, I gonna gets me some oven baked, anchovy laden pizza.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Many would say, there's nothing that tastes better in the world than a wood-fired brick-oven baked pizza...

Yet two enterprising New Yorkers are cooking and selling their wood-fired brick-oven baked pizzas right on the sidewalk in Queens!

Every day they wheel their 4,500 pound wood-fired brick oven to the sidewalk. Then they fire it up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pizzas are available from 11 am, but many people line up before that time...

They shipped the portable pizza oven to New York oven from Naples, Italy. Their idea was to start a business serving pizzas at private parties.

The pandemic put an end to that idea, as private parties virtually disappeared... But when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...

So they use their portable pizza oven to make and sell pizzas on the sidewalk...

Their business is called "Una Pizzeria Portatile," which means "a portable pizzeria" in English...

Wood-fired brick-oven baked pizzas as a kind of street cart food business? It could be a world first!

Best wishes,

Dien Rice

P.S. Join thousands of others on my free email list (by getting a couple of sample issues of the Hidden Business Ideas Letter) for more examples of small business innovation like this, for free...

http://www.hiddenbusinessideas.com
Old December 21, 2020, 07:04 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Is this the latest cronut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
All you need folks, is ONE great product.

Thanks Dien for this great idea. Hey, you should load or make your 57 books a course on Udemy, I see a lot of those things selling for 19.95

Anyhow, next time in NYC, I gonna gets me some oven baked, anchovy laden pizza.
Hi Gordon,

When I finally had a cronut - after you posted about it here - it was delicious!

I read an interesting article... Under Bob Iger, Disney transformed itself into having multiple franchises...

Before, the company was divided by product - for example, clothes, toys, home decor...

After, Bog Iger transformed Disney so the company was divided by franchise - Mickey Mouse, Disney Princess, Marvel, etc.

The thing is, in each "franchise", all the products support each other - so it makes sense. Mickey Mouse movies support Mickey Mouse-related television supports Mickey Mouse clothing supports Mickey Mouse toys, etc.

If you buy a Mickey Mouse T-shirt, it means you're more likely to also buy a Mickey Mouse wind up water swimmer (a real product)...!

Whereas, it is not the same for product categories... If you buy a Mickey Mouse T-shirt, it doesn't necessarily mean you're more likely to buy an Obi-Wan Kenobi T-shirt... (Since Mickey Mouse fans are not necessarily Star Wars fans.)

It also affects their "expansion" strategy... Rather than create new "orphan" products, they're more likely to keep building each franchise...

I thunk to myself - why not do the same for info-products? This is part of my plan for the next year ahead...

Hidden Business Ideas Letter car wax, here we come! (Okay, maybe not that one specifically!)

(And - as you know - there are so many other "seeds" for "franchises" in products I'm already selling which could be built on too... Maybe something we could work on together, if you have any interest...!)

In info-products, the clearest example I can think of off-hand is the late Jay Conrad Levinson's "Guerrilla Marketing" book... which led to an expansion into many other "Guerrilla Marketing" sub-category books... Like "Guerrilla Marketing for Non-Profits," "Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters," and "Guerrilla Networking" (and many others)...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 21, 2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 22, 2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

When I finally had a cronut - after you posted about it here - it was delicious!

I read an interesting article... Under Bob Iger, Disney transformed itself into having multiple franchises...

Before, the company was divided by product - for example, clothes, toys, home decor...

After, Bog Iger transformed Disney so the company was divided by franchise - Mickey Mouse, Disney Princess, Marvel, etc.

The thing is, in each "franchise", all the products support each other - so it makes sense. Mickey Mouse movies support Mickey Mouse-related television supports Mickey Mouse clothing supports Mickey Mouse toys, etc.

If you buy a Mickey Mouse T-shirt, it means you're more likely to also buy a Mickey Mouse wind up water swimmer (a real product)...!

Whereas, it is not the same for product categories... If you buy a Mickey Mouse T-shirt, it doesn't necessarily mean you're more likely to buy an Obi-Wan Kenobi T-shirt... (Since Mickey Mouse fans are not necessarily Star Wars fans.)

It also affects their "expansion" strategy... Rather than create new "orphan" products, they're more likely to keep building each franchise...

I thunk to myself - why not do the same for info-products? This is part of my plan for the next year ahead...

Hidden Business Ideas Letter car wax, here we come! (Okay, maybe not that one specifically!)

(And - as you know - there are so many other "seeds" for "franchises" in products I'm already selling which could be built on too... Maybe something we could work on together, if you have any interest...!)

In info-products, the clearest example I can think of off-hand is the late Jay Conrad Levinson's "Guerrilla Marketing" book... which led to an expansion into many other "Guerrilla Marketing" sub-category books... Like "Guerrilla Marketing for Non-Profits," "Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters," and "Guerrilla Networking" (and many others)...

Best wishes,

Dien

THANK YOU for giving me a wonderful idea !

I was a professional entertainer for many years. I often used magic tricks to make points. I can see it now:

Magic For Teachers
Also Magic For First Grade Teachers, Magic For High School Teachers, etc.

How about Magic For Sales People. Using Magic To Make Sales.

You get the idea.

I am going to look into this a bit further.
Old December 22, 2020, 05:26 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
THANK YOU for giving me a wonderful idea !

I was a professional entertainer for many years. I often used magic tricks to make points. I can see it now:

Magic For Teachers
Also Magic For First Grade Teachers, Magic For High School Teachers, etc.

How about Magic For Sales People. Using Magic To Make Sales.

You get the idea.

I am going to look into this a bit further.
Hi Millard,

Yes, this will be in my plans going forward!

By the way, another example I thought of is the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series of books...

"Chicken Soup for the Soul" was a hit in 1993. So they rolled out with "A 2nd Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul"... Then "A 3rd Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul."

After reaching book #6, they stopped numbering them, and went to "A Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas," "Chicken Soup for the Adopted Soul," "Chicken Soup for the African American Soul," and so on...

There are now (I've read), at least 276 "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books!

Here's another list of them...

The most recent one I've found is "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Age Is Just a Number" (published on Nov. 30, 2020).

I think the best approach is to use this to build a brand... The idea is if people like one, they'll probably like more... Which are similar, yet also different...

Best wishes!

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 22, 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old December 22, 2020, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default We used to call this a "family" of products, pretty old world concept.

Quote:
Hi Millard,

Yes, this will be in my plans going forward!

By the way, another example I thought of is the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series of books...

"Chicken Soup for the Soul" was a hit in 1993. So they rolled out with "A 2nd Helping of Chicken Soup for the Soul"... Then "A 3rd Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul."

After reaching book #6, they stopped numbering them, and went to "A Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas," "Chicken Soup for the Adopted Soul," "Chicken Soup for the African American Soul," and so on...

There are now (I've read), at least 276 "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books!

Here's another list of them...

The most recent one I've found is "Chicken Soup for the Soul: Age Is Just a Number" (published on Nov. 30, 2020).

I think the best approach is to use this to build a brand... The idea is if people like one, they'll probably like more... Which are similar, yet also different...

Best wishes!

Dien

The "family" or tribe (or cult if one prefers) gets it, it is an automatic response, bypasses RAS, lets the idea in.

Be it Chicken Soup or Guerilla or NO B.S. we can find a slew of these families. It makes targeting very easy, when you combine the BRAND with the new product for a new niche.

HBR
Dummy
Idiot
Little Blue Books
Mango Bob
Best selling authors haave whole series wrapped around ONE character;
James Bond, Jack Ryan, Alphabet series by S. Grafton, numbers by Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum.

The Four __________ agreements, etc.

And so on.

You can either create a brand or be the brand, as in D. Kennedy's NO BS series, many co authored.

You can see this in collectibles too, like birds (ceramic) plates, coins, like the state quarters.

Any one of which can be a stand alone, but using a FAMILY name, like the Chicken Soup thing, it cuts through attention, at least to see if it is of interest and STOPPING people and getting attention, is maybe half or more of the battle.

Gordon

PS. We should have SowPub brand...Seeds of Wisdom ___________ eh?
Old December 23, 2020, 04:09 AM

Default Re: We used to call this a "family" of products, pretty old world concept.

Quote:
The "family" or tribe (or cult if one prefers) gets it, it is an automatic response, bypasses RAS, lets the idea in.

Be it Chicken Soup or Guerilla or NO B.S. we can find a slew of these families. It makes targeting very easy, when you combine the BRAND with the new product for a new niche.

HBR
Dummy
Idiot
Little Blue Books
Mango Bob
James Bond, Jack Ryan, Alphabet series by S. Grafton, numbers by Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Plum.

And so on.

You can either create a brand or be the brand, as in D. Kennedy's NO BS series, many co authored.

You can see this in collectibles too, like birds (ceramic) plates, coins, like the state quarters.

Any one of which can be a stand alone, but using a FAMILY name, like the Chicken Soup thing, it cuts through attention, at least to see if it is of interest and STOPPING people and getting attention, is maybe half or more of the battle.

Gordon

You have just reminded me of this...

I should have had a "smack my forehead' moment when this discussion started about a "family" of products. We've all seen these for years.

Seems to me that I need to look at how my experience in show business, speaking, and just being in front of folks, can be translated into something that has benefit to the most people. Something like when you absolutely must get your message across to folks, you need to do this, or you need to do that, etc., etc., etc.
Old December 23, 2020, 06:01 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default What I'm trying to say is more subtle...

Quote:

HBR
Dummy
Idiot
Little Blue Books
Mango Bob

And so on.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks - this has helped me to clarify my thoughts...

What I was trying to get across was rather a subset of a "family" of products...

I called it (in my earlier post) a "franchise"... In fiction, a "franchise" is a series of works (like novels or films) that live in the same fictional universe...

However, I was talking non-fiction... But what I was trying to get at was the feeling that the work is part of a bigger "whole" - the same feeling you get with a fictional franchise...

For example, my personal "feeling" is that with Jay Conrad Levinson's guerrilla marketing books, if you read one, you'll get part of the picture... If you read another, you'll get a little bit of a fuller picture, and so on...

For example, I feel if I read "Guerrilla Marketing During Tough Times" (2005), then read "Guerrilla Social Media Marketing" (2010), they will probably complement each other to some degree, and I'll come away with an even fuller picture of "guerrilla marketing"...

They all "build" (at least in my mind) into a greater and fuller picture of the applications and principles of "guerrilla marketing"...

Not all "families" of products are like this...

For example, the "...For Dummies" series is a "family" of products, but does not build to a bigger "picture" like I'm thinking about...

For example, if I read "Fishing for Dummies," then I read "iPad and iPad Pro for Dummies" - I don't feel they will complement each other in any way.

Reading "Fishing for Dummies" won't help me understand "iPad and iPad Pro for Dummies" any better, or vice versa...

They are part of the same "family" of products, but they are a "family" because of their name and the structure of the books, but not the content of the books - which are like chalk and cheese...

So the "For Dummies" books don't have this same "feeling" of building to a greater understanding that I'm talking about - where each book is part of a bigger picture, and reading more books will lead to a greater overall understanding of this bigger picture...

I don't think there is a word or phrase for this in non-fiction (at least that I can think of)... But that was what I was trying to get at...

A quick word on Dan Kennedy's "No BS" series of books... I know it's sacrilege (!), but I feel Dan Kennedy's "No BS" brand is not a strong one... The reason why is because "No BS" is too common a phrase, so, at least in my mind, Dan Kennedy doesn't "own" the "No BS" phrase the same way Jay Conrad Levinson effectively "owned" the "guerrilla marketing" phrase...

A quick search shows many "No BS" books NOT by Dan Kennedy... "Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building a Life-Changing Business" (Romi Neustadt), "Stop Saying You're Fine: The No-BS Guide to Getting What You Want" (Mel Robbins), "The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth" (John Kim)... and there are plenty more...

The books above all have more reviews on Amazon than the highest Dan Kennedy "No BS" book does, so they're probably outselling Dan's "No BS" books too...

Gordon, though, is a master at "coining" and then "owning" various phrases... (I don't need to list them here...) Which I feel is excellent branding...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 23, 2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old December 24, 2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default The COLLECTED WORKS of SowPub.

Would a collection be more like it? Collecting coins is a "family" of products, but collecting State Quarters is more like the subset.

I see the difference as you point out. Some might think my works are part of the GJA family, albeit, not everyone would be interested in the more esoteric or spiritual works.

Those would fall under the GJABIZ WOO WOO COLLECTION, eh?

It reminds me of Jim Straw's peanuts and pretzels on a bar (in the old days) which kept you thirsty and drinking. And that explains why so many of our book shelves are full of those collections within the family of making moolah.

We'll have to brainstorm a good word we can coin and own. Since it is football (American) season, maybe we have a huddle of products...each one in the huddle has a different job to do, but part of the team with the same goals.

So, HUDDLE up, and get my new Tight End Report; BLOCK, RELEASE, CATCH How to Score a Touchdown for Your Business.

UH, maybe not that much of a 'master' at coining, HA!

Gordon

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Thanks - this has helped me to clarify my thoughts...

What I was trying to get across was rather a subset of a "family" of products...

I called it (in my earlier post) a "franchise"... In fiction, a "franchise" is a series of works (like novels or films) that live in the same fictional universe...

However, I was talking non-fiction... But what I was trying to get at was the feeling that the work is part of a bigger "whole" - the same feeling you get with a fictional franchise...

For example, my personal "feeling" is that with Jay Conrad Levinson's guerrilla marketing books, if you read one, you'll get part of the picture... If you read another, you'll get a little bit of a fuller picture, and so on...

For example, I feel if I read "Guerrilla Marketing During Tough Times" (2005), then read "Guerrilla Social Media Marketing" (2010), they will probably complement each other to some degree, and I'll come away with an even fuller picture of "guerrilla marketing"...

They all "build" (at least in my mind) into a greater and fuller picture of the applications and principles of "guerrilla marketing"...

Not all "families" of products are like this...

For example, the "...For Dummies" series is a "family" of products, but does not build to a bigger "picture" like I'm thinking about...

For example, if I read "Fishing for Dummies," then I read "iPad and iPad Pro for Dummies" - I don't feel they will complement each other in any way.

Reading "Fishing for Dummies" won't help me understand "iPad and iPad Pro for Dummies" any better, or vice versa...

They are part of the same "family" of products, but they are a "family" because of their name and the structure of the books, but not the content of the books - which are like chalk and cheese...

So the "For Dummies" books don't have this same "feeling" of building to a greater understanding that I'm talking about - where each book is part of a bigger picture, and reading more books will lead to a greater overall understanding of this bigger picture...

I don't think there is a word or phrase for this in non-fiction (at least that I can think of)... But that was what I was trying to get at...

A quick word on Dan Kennedy's "No BS" series of books... I know it's sacrilege (!), but I feel Dan Kennedy's "No BS" brand is not a strong one... The reason why is because "No BS" is too common a phrase, so, at least in my mind, Dan Kennedy doesn't "own" the "No BS" phrase the same way Jay Conrad Levinson effectively "owned" the "guerrilla marketing" phrase...

A quick search shows many "No BS" books NOT by Dan Kennedy... "Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building a Life-Changing Business" (Romi Neustadt), "Stop Saying You're Fine: The No-BS Guide to Getting What You Want" (Mel Robbins), "The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth" (John Kim)... and there are plenty more...

The books above all have more reviews on Amazon than the highest Dan Kennedy "No BS" book does, so they're probably outselling Dan's "No BS" books too...

Gordon, though, is a master at "coining" and then "owning" various phrases... (I don't need to list them here...) Which I feel is excellent branding...

Best wishes,

Dien