SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 21, 2000, 05:16 PM
Dien Rice

Default Getting what you want....

I thought you might enjoy this story.... :)

A friend's grandfather came to America from Eastern Europe. After being processed at Ellis Island, he went into a cafetaria in lower Manhattan to get something to eat. He sat down at an empty table and waited for someone to take his order. Of course nobody did. Finally, a woman with a tray full of food sat down opposite him and informed him how a cafetaria worked.

"Start out at that end," she said. "Just go along the line and pick out what you want. At the other end they'll tell you how much you have to pay."

"I soon learned that's how everything works in America," the grandfather told a friend. "Life's a cafetaria here. You can get anything you want as long as you are willing to pay the price. You can even get success, but you'll never get it if you wait for someone to bring it to you. You have to get up and get it yourself."

[From "More Sower's Seed," edited by Brian Cavanaugh]

This is very true!

I think that many people "make" their own luck.... By this, I mean that they go out and create their own opportunities, by sticking their neck out and starting to do things themselves, by seeking publicity, and by seeking mentors.

If you wait for luck to come to you, you could be waiting a lifetime.... That's why I believe it is good to go out and make it yourself.... :)

Dien Rice
Old November 21, 2000, 11:58 PM
Jason van Hooft

Default Re: Getting what you want....

Great example Dien,

A friend once told me ...

The cure for hunger has been invented - it's called eating!

In life, (unles you inherit) nothing is FREE. Everything comes at a cost.

The reality is that success does have a price, and in some cases the price can be very high - it depends on how much effort you put in, but more importantly how much planning you do.

The way to avoid hunger is to eat. We all PLAN to eat don't we??

If we want to go on a holiday we plan for it!

If we want to save money to buy a new car we plan for it!

If you want SUCCESS.... you should PLAN for it!

My dad once told me 'practice makes perfect' but if you don't plan to pratctice you've already failed!

Lot's of success and prosperity to you all...
Jason

The Beginners Guide to Mail Order!
Old November 22, 2000, 12:23 AM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default Following bliss.........

Hi Jason!

Your example was terrific as well.

In reading the book "Inspirational Leadership" by Lance Secretan, the author takes the quote by Joseph Campbell, "Follow Your Bliss" one step further. Secretan says, "Create your bliss and then follow it."

What I especially like about this quote is that it illustrates taking an ACTIVE choice....

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE JORDAN SCOTT

Dare to Discover Your Passion, Decide to Live Your Destiny!
Old November 22, 2000, 02:46 PM
Dien Rice

Default "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail...."

Hi Jason,

> The reality is that success does have a
> price, and in some cases the price can be
> very high - it depends on how much effort
> you put in, but more importantly how much
> planning you do.

I agree with you Jason, that's very true.... "There's no such thing as a free lunch" (as economists like to say)....

However, there are easier ways and more difficult ways to get your lunch, so the goal is to find the easiest ways -- though they still require some work!

> The way to avoid hunger is to eat. We all
> PLAN to eat don't we??

> If we want to go on a holiday we plan for
> it!

> If we want to save money to buy a new car we
> plan for it!

> If you want SUCCESS.... you should PLAN for
> it!

> My dad once told me 'practice makes perfect'
> but if you don't plan to practice you've
> already failed!

Thanks Jason, that's excellent advice.... :)

Very few people stumble into financial success by chance! You're right.... it's usually the result of the forming and implementing of a good plan.... :)

By the way, I'm a big fan of your web site and your writings in general, Jason.... :) I've been very impressed by the many things you say.... It's clear to me that you speak with the voice of experience.... Thanks! :)

- Dien Rice

Here's Jason's web site.... :)
Old November 22, 2000, 02:57 PM
Dien Rice

Default Creating your bliss.... :)

Hi Julie! :)

> In reading the book "Inspirational
> Leadership" by Lance Secretan, the
> author takes the quote by Joseph Campbell,
> "Follow Your Bliss" one step
> further. Secretan says, "Create your
> bliss and then follow it."

Julie, this quote sounds very interesting..... Could you explain it further?

I find Joseph Campbell to be an interesting fellow.... :) I haven't read any of his books, but I remember watching the (PBS?) series with Bill Moyers (I think?), on the nature and power of myth. It was fascinating stuff!

It was quite a long time ago that I saw that series, but I remember thinking that there was a lot of truth to it.... Essentially what I remember is that the "myths" or stories of our culture affect how we live our lives quite strongly....

And that "myths" are not just rooted in the ancient past, but that "new" myths are always being generated -- and he talked specifically about the example of "Star Wars"....

> What I especially like about this quote is
> that it illustrates taking an ACTIVE
> choice....

Yes, I strongly believe that we CHOOSE to be successful or not -- though we may not realize it....

For example, if we CHOOSE to be negative thinkers, pessimistic, small minded -- we choose to be UNsuccessful.

But if we CHOOSE to be positive thinkers, optimistic, big thinkers aware that EVERYTHING is possible -- then we choose SUCCESS!

For every person who's a BIG success, I believe there are at least 1000 people who said "that's impossible".... Whether it's becoming a movie star, or creating a machine that flies, or practically any kind of endeavor!

So, part of the path to success is CHOOSING to be the one in a thousand who says: It IS possible and I can do it!

Wow, Julie, you really got me going here.... Thanks.... :)

Warmly,

- Dien

Julie's web site -- where you discover the true POWER of PASSION!
Old November 23, 2000, 12:15 PM
Julie Jordan Scott

Default Re: Creating your bliss.... :)

> Hi Julie! :)

> Julie, this quote sounds very
> interesting..... Could you explain it
> further?

Hi Dien!

I will do my very best to explain this some more.

Like Secretan, I believe we can create our most magnificent lives. In creating our lives, creating our cirumstances, this is where we can truly create our own bliss. Be an active builder of our own PERSONALIZED bliss instead of taking a prepackaged idea of bliss from someone else and sort of claiming it as our own.

Last night, I could not sleep, (highly unusual for me!) so I took out my well worn copy of Napolean Hill's "Think and Grow Rich". In Chapter 1, Hill writes about Edwin C. Barnes who wanted to partner with Thomas A. Edison. Mr. Barnes was not sure HOW to partner with Edison, so he went about his business, at first working for the famed inventor.

An opportunity in disguise came forth, which Mr. Barnes used to create his bliss. He took the "unsuccessful" Edison Dictating Machine (the salesmen could not move the product) and sold it so successfully he got a national distributorship. He also got riches as a bi-product of creating his bliss.

Does that help to explain it better?

With Purpose and Passion,

JULIE

> I find Joseph Campbell to be an interesting
> fellow.... :) I haven't read any of his
> books, but I remember watching the (PBS?)
> series with Bill Moyers (I think?), on the
> nature and power of myth. It was fascinating
> stuff!

> It was quite a long time ago that I saw that
> series, but I remember thinking that there
> was a lot of truth to it.... Essentially
> what I remember is that the
> "myths" or stories of our culture
> affect how we live our lives quite
> strongly....

> And that "myths" are not just
> rooted in the ancient past, but that
> "new" myths are always being
> generated -- and he talked specifically
> about the example of "Star
> Wars"....

> Yes, I strongly believe that we CHOOSE to be
> successful or not -- though we may not
> realize it....

> For example, if we CHOOSE to be negative
> thinkers, pessimistic, small minded -- we
> choose to be UNsuccessful.

> But if we CHOOSE to be positive thinkers,
> optimistic, big thinkers aware that
> EVERYTHING is possible -- then we choose
> SUCCESS!

> For every person who's a BIG success, I
> believe there are at least 1000 people who
> said "that's impossible"....
> Whether it's becoming a movie star, or
> creating a machine that flies, or
> practically any kind of endeavor!

> So, part of the path to success is CHOOSING
> to be the one in a thousand who says: It IS
> possible and I can do it!

> Wow, Julie, you really got me going here....
> Thanks.... :)

> Warmly,

> - Dien

5passions.......
Old November 24, 2000, 06:33 AM
Dien Rice

Default Julie, that's a very wise lesson....

Hi Julie!

Thanks for your illuminating answers!

Thank you for sharing some of your wisdom, I treasure it highly.... :)

> I will do my very best to explain this some
> more.

> Like Secretan, I believe we can create our
> most magnificent lives. In creating our
> lives, creating our cirumstances, this is
> where we can truly create our own bliss. Be
> an active builder of our own PERSONALIZED
> bliss instead of taking a prepackaged idea
> of bliss from someone else and sort of
> claiming it as our own.

Julie, that's a powerful idea! Actually.... it's funny... I've recently been reading about P. T. Barnum, who was a master promoter of the 19th century.... While something he says isn't identical, it seems related -- it's about finding your true "calling"....

Let me see if I can find the quote.... (rummage rummage).... Ah here it is. :)

Let me turn the keyboard over the the master promoter, P. T. Barnum....

The safest plan, and the one most sure of success for the young man starting in life, is to select the vocation which is most congenial to his tastes. Parents and guardians are often quite too negligent in regard to this. It is very common for a father to say, for example: "I have five boys. I will make Billy a clergyman; John a lawyer; Tom a doctor, and Dick a farmer." He then goes into town and looks about to see what he will do with Sammy. He returns home, and says: "Sammy, I see watchmaking is a nice, genteel business; I think I will make you a goldsmith." He does this, regardless of Sam's natural inclinations or genius.

We are all, no doubt, born for a wise purpose. There is as much diversity in our brains as in our countenances. Some are born natural mechanics, while some have great aversion to machinery. Let a dozen boys of ten years get together, and you will soon observe two or three are "whittling" out some ingenious device; working with locks or complicated machinery. When they were but five years old their father could find no toy to please them like a puzzle. They are natural mechanics; but the other eight or nine boys have different aptitudes I belong to the latter class; I never had the slightest love for mechanism; on the contrary, I have a sort of abhorrence for complicated machinery. I never had ingenuity enough to whittle a cider-tap so it would not leak. I never could make a pen that I could write with, or understand the principle of a steam-engine. If a man was to take such a boy as I was, and attempt to make a watchmaker of him, the boy might, after an apprenticeship of five or seven years be able to take apart and put together a watch; but all through life he would be working uphill and seizing every excuse for leaving his work and idling away his time. Watchmaking is repulsive to him.

Unless a man enters upon the vocation intended for him by nature, and best suited to his peculiar genius, he cannot succeed. I am glad to believe that the majority of persons do find their right vocation. Yet we see many who have mistaken their calling from the blacksmith up (or down) to the clergyman. You will see, for instance, that extraordinary linguist, the "learned blacksmith," who ought to have been a teacher of languages; and you may have seen lawyers, doctors and clergymen who were better fitted by nature for the anvil or the lapstone.

[From a lecture P. T. Barnum gave on Dec. 29, 1858.]

(Of course, this applies to women too....)

I think you have to be happy doing what you're doing.... And precisely what that is will be different for everyone.... Which is great! I don't think a world full just of professional singers would do very well, for instance. Who would grow food? But also without singers, the world would be a poorer place.... :)

Julie, thanks for explaining, what you are talking about is very wise.... And anyone who takes your advice to heart will discover it's wisdom too.... :)

Thank you Julie :)

Dien Rice