SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old February 18, 2020, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default CORONAVIRUS impact. None or severe?

So, the Coronavirus.

Still taking that cruise? The vacation to Asia? No big deal or life changing?

As Entrepreneurs, we have to speculate, or at least be aware of potential problems with our business, even though you may think it is way unrelated.

Movie theaters, restaurants, clubs, performances...all events where a lot of people gather... when the masks first appear, will attendance dwindle?

Will more cocooning take place? A rise in Netflix, Disney and HBO sign ups? Fewer nights out?

As of today, we have polarized sides, like our politics...from the Chicken Little, the sky is finally falling to to fearless...more FAKE NEWS crowd.

We don't yet know. We do know the flu is ten times as deadly at this point, and targets the elderly and the sickly. Maybe the Springtime thaw will chase the Coronavirus away like our Winter Blues and we'll all be back to normal ASAP.

I'm not big on crowds and going out to begin with, so I don't expect any changes in my routines, I don't go to the gym, so my workouts can continue without worry. Will more people opt to leave the gym and join an online group instead? Opportunity there.

Sometimes, when we discuss these things out loud, we may sound opportunistic which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, usually gets on shaky ground when we try to cash in on tragedy.

These viruses, flus and potential Pandemics will continue to Trend and one of them, maybe even this one, could bring catastrophic results. But let's not get trampled in the crowd when every one is heading for the doors. Exit in an orderly fashion.

Right? HA!

Speaking of cashing in on News (fake or otherwise) of the moment, there will be tons of money made this year by those printing yard signs, hats, T-shirts, or Memes of the day. In politics, I feel it is fine to be at least as opportunistic as the candidates themselves are. So, make some dough in 2020.

GordonJ
Old February 18, 2020, 01:49 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I'm scared to death

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
So, the Coronavirus.

Still taking that cruise? The vacation to Asia? No big deal or life changing?
Hi Gordon,

I've been more recently looking at the big picture...

In the big picture, the economy of China has ground to a halt.

For example, these charts give the pollution this year (yellow line) versus its 6-year average (blue line) - for various cities in China.

It looks like great news... But it isn't.

Why great news?

Because pollution has fallen off a cliff...

But why is that bad?

Because it's an indication that the factories in China have effectively shut down.

Or check this out... Shipping of oil from the Middle East to China...

As you can see, oil shipping to China has plummeted.

(VLCC stands for "very large crude carriers.")

With factories and transport shut down, it's not needed.

(Source: https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ta...n-supply-lines )

The shutting down of factories in China is causing havoc further down the supply chains in other countries, including the USA. Companies can't get needed components.

Due to shipping times, it will take a while for the effect to ripple through the global system.

Many people are saying the coronavirus will cause a stock market crash, and worldwide recession...

Here's one example:

Coronavirus Will Trigger an Epic Stock Market Crash, Warns ‘Godfather’ Analyst
https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-will...ather-analyst/

None of the markets reflect this yet. A quick look at the S&P 500 and things look quite benign. But on this one, I think some kind of crash will probably happen in the next year or so.

Hopefully the Covid-19 coronavirus won't "break out" in a big way into North America, Europe, Australia, or New Zealand (where most of our audience here comes from) - or anywhere else.

But the big new worry right now is Japan. When you count the cases on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, Japan has more cases of coronavirus than all other countries combined outside of China.

Japan has 542 positive cases of coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and 65 cases domestically. A total of 607 positive cases of coronavirus.

Which is a surprise... You would imagine if any country could contain it, Japan could.

It's still not even close to China, with 72,436 positive cases of coronavirus (and 1,868 killed). Many people believe China is underreporting the number of cases.

Personally, I'm scared to death. I have a pregnant wife... The last thing I want is for her to be affected.

Sincerely,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : February 18, 2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old February 18, 2020, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default So, we will SOON see the fear (from Agora USA, etc.) and the time to

get your gold supply up and diamonds too. I heard today, from a total stranger who works in a coffee shop about how his beans went up...and coffee prices will be next...cheese, alcohol is exploding in price, funny thing about cheese, the dairy markets are down, one would think cheese would tumble.

Dusting off the Chicken Little report...been a decade now, maybe this time...I'll include some stock tips (says the guy who hates the markets, and would rather invest in chattel)...

Oxygen, air purifiers, masks, safe cleaning supplies, clothing and many other things will boom. So, are we preparing while shuddering our shins together?

Seems like sound advice to me, to be prepared for what ever comes our way...and that includes seeing a stock market downturn (expected, eh?) and higher unemployment.

Chattel I will be "stocking" up on, includes bikes, are storage containers, canning supplies, gardening equip, and the mundane. As always.

GordonJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

I've been more recently looking at the big picture...

In the big picture, the economy of China has ground to a halt.

For example, these charts give the pollution this year (yellow line) versus its 6-year average (blue line) - for various cities in China.

It looks like great news... But it isn't.

Why great news?

Because pollution has fallen off a cliff...

But why is that bad?

Because it's an indication that the factories in China have effectively shut down.

Or check this out... Shipping of oil from the Middle East to China...

As you can see, oil shipping to China has plummeted.

(VLCC stands for "very large crude carriers.")

With factories and transport shut down, it's not needed.

(Source: https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ta...n-supply-lines )

The shutting down of factories in China is causing havoc further down the supply chains in other countries, including the USA. Companies can't get needed components.

Due to shipping times, it will take a while for the effect to ripple through the global system.

Many people are saying the coronavirus will cause a stock market crash, and worldwide recession...

Here's one example:

Coronavirus Will Trigger an Epic Stock Market Crash, Warns ‘Godfather’ Analyst
https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-will...ather-analyst/

None of the markets reflect this yet. A quick look at the S&P 500 and things look quite benign. But on this one, I think some kind of crash will probably happen in the next year or so.

Hopefully the Covid-19 coronavirus won't "break out" in a big way into North America, Europe, Australia, or New Zealand (where most of our audience here comes from) - or anywhere else.

But the big new worry right now is Japan. When you count the cases on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan, Japan has more cases of coronavirus than all other countries combined outside of China.

Japan has 542 positive cases of coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, and 65 cases domestically. A total of 607 positive cases of coronavirus.

Which is a surprise... You would imagine if any country could contain it, Japan could.

It's still not even close to China, with 72,436 positive cases of coronavirus (and 1,868 killed). Many people believe China is underreporting the number of cases.

Personally, I'm scared to death. I have a pregnant wife... The last thing I want is for her to be affected.

Sincerely,

Dien
Old February 20, 2020, 03:09 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The LIMITATIONS of FEAR...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
get your gold supply up and diamonds too. I heard today, from a total stranger who works in a coffee shop about how his beans went up...and coffee prices will be next...cheese, alcohol is exploding in price, funny thing about cheese, the dairy markets are down, one would think cheese would tumble.

Dusting off the Chicken Little report...been a decade now, maybe this time...I'll include some stock tips (says the guy who hates the markets, and would rather invest in chattel)...
As you know Gordon, I've been reading a LOT about copywriting lately...

I forgot exactly where, but I was reading about the LIMITATIONS of using FEAR...

Yes, "fear" is a very powerful emotional motivator. You see it in politics all the time. Plus to help sell many other products - from security alarms to survival gear to swimming pool fencing...

But, what if you use TOO much "fear"?

Imagine your prospect... reading or hearing or watching your ad... Getting the living bejesus scared out of him.

Leaping into bed, huddling under the covers, shivering, every pore dripping with sweat as he clings to the bedsheets, white-knuckled...

This guy is not going to buy your product - he's frozen and petrified! How is he going to whip out a credit card and read it, let alone type in the numbers, when his hands are trembling...?

Too much fear - and the person ain't gonna buy! He's going to be hiding under the blanket, praying...

It sounds like a joke - but I think it's true! Fear can be "over-used" in marketing, if you're not careful...

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : February 20, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old February 20, 2020, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default From beneath the covers, I shout...

Quote:
As you know Gordon, I've been reading a LOT about copywriting lately...

I forgot exactly where, but I was reading about the LIMITATIONS of using FEAR...

Yes, "fear" is a very powerful emotional motivator. You see it in politics all the time. Plus to help sell many other products - from security alarms to survival gear to swimming pool fencing...

But, what if you use TOO much "fear"?

Imagine your prospect... reading or hearing or watching your ad... Getting the living bejesus scared out of him.

Leaping into bed, huddling under the covers, shivering, every pore dripping with sweat as he clings to the bedsheets, white-knuckled...

This guy is not going to buy your product - he's frozen and petrified! How is he going to whip out a credit card and read it, let alone type in the numbers, when his hands are trembling...?

Too much fear - and the person ain't gonna buy! He's going to be hiding under the blanket, praying...

It sounds like a joke - but I think it's true! Fear can be "over-used" in marketing, if you're not careful...

- Dien

ALEXA, order some more heritage seeds from Amazon Prime, I want them by tomorrow.

And yes, praying the Amazon delivery guy doesn't call off sick.

GJA

PS. Even scarier, some woman at the Bingo hall giving me the come hither eyeball...YIKES, now thats some fear my friend, pure fear.
Old February 25, 2020, 01:39 PM

Default Re: CORONAVIRUS impact. None or severe?

I would think there might be more problems with fear rather than a pandemic.

Fear breeds loss of clear thinking.... fear breeds suspicion... fear takes people out.

Right now, we just don't have enough information.

Doesn't the run-of-the-mill flu kill a bunch of folks every year?

There may be something else going on here.

Who was it that said "Don't let a good crisis go to waste?"

Be prudent, be safe, just don't lose your minds is what I would be thinking.
Old February 26, 2020, 02:27 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default New coronavirus - more deadly than the flu, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I would think there might be more problems with fear rather than a pandemic.

Fear breeds loss of clear thinking.... fear breeds suspicion... fear takes people out.

Right now, we just don't have enough information.

Doesn't the run-of-the-mill flu kill a bunch of folks every year?

There may be something else going on here.

Who was it that said "Don't let a good crisis go to waste?"

Be prudent, be safe, just don't lose your minds is what I would be thinking.
Hi Millard,

I agree with you - I think information is still sparse...

To my knowledge...

* The new coronavirus (Covid-19) could be more deadly than the flu...

I've read 80% of people who get it have few or no symtpoms. 20% who get it have serious symptoms. About 10% of those with serious symptoms die.

(That is, overall, 2% of those who get the new coronavirus, die.)

In the USA, the flu kills about 0.1% of those who get it - that is, about 1 in 1000.

So the new coronavirus looks like it is 20 times more deadly than the flu.

* It also may be more contagious than the flu... But I think the jury is out on this so far...

I'm keeping tabs on the whole thing...

- Dien
Old February 29, 2020, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Default The IDEA may be devastating.

Quote:
Hi Millard,

I agree with you - I think information is still sparse...

To my knowledge...

* The new coronavirus (Covid-19) could be more deadly than the flu...

I've read 80% of people who get it have few or no symtpoms. 20% who get it have serious symptoms. About 10% of those with serious symptoms die.

(That is, overall, 2% of those who get the new coronavirus, die.)

In the USA, the flu kills about 0.1% of those who get it - that is, about 1 in 1000.

So the new coronavirus looks like it is 20 times more deadly than the flu.

* It also may be more contagious than the flu... But I think the jury is out on this so far...

I'm keeping tabs on the whole thing...

- Dien

I feel like I'm watching a movie. There is a huge desert storm in the distance. A close up shows a 50 foot wall of sand wasting everything in its path.

It is moving our direction, already the front winds, are starting to blow the tumbleweeds across the desert at record speeds. Can we build a wall to stop it?

Can we hide underground from it? Can we just wait and see the effects?

Well, already it is being called a CRASH. We'll see how bad this coming week, the ripple effect of those clean China Skies are now waves, and is the Tsunami to follow?

Don't know about a medical pandemic, but we seem to have a enemademic, with all the shat pouring from politico's mouths.

So, who gets the first mainstream wave? Fast food restaurants? Nightclubs? or Retailers in heavy traffic areas?

Sudden increases in prices, watch butter, cheese, dairy...and beef. Slowly, but then more rapidly a run on the toiletries isle, TP, cleaning supplies, batteries.

Some hunkering down.

Or, maybe like that movie I'm watching, it just ends. Not a particularly satisfying one, just ends.

But as a political football, the kicking it around has just begun.

Good time to have your stock piles of the usual disaster supplies.

Gordon

I wonder if my Rife Pro Wave will have a frequency to kill off the CoronaVirus, I sure hope so.
Old March 1, 2020, 06:19 AM

Default Re: CORONAVIRUS impact. None or severe?

Just found this from Dr. Drew Pinsky on the Daily Blast when he was asked about the virus:

"We have in the United States 24 million cases of flu-like illness, 180,000 hospitalizations, 16,000 dead from influenza. We have zero deaths from coronavirus. We have almost no cases. There are people walking around out there with the virus that don’t even know they have it, it’s so mild. So it’s going to be much more widespread than we knew. It’s going to be much milder than we knew. The 1.7% fatality rate is going to fall. Where was the press during the Mediterranean Corona outbreak, where the fatality rate was 41%? Why didn’t they get crazed about MERS or SARS? This is an overblown press-created hysteria."

Something to think about.
Old March 1, 2020, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Say this is true: "an overblown press-created hysteria".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Just found this from Dr. Drew Pinsky on the Daily Blast when he was asked about the virus:

"We have in the United States 24 million cases of flu-like illness, 180,000 hospitalizations, 16,000 dead from influenza. We have zero deaths from coronavirus. We have almost no cases. There are people walking around out there with the virus that don’t even know they have it, it’s so mild. So it’s going to be much more widespread than we knew. It’s going to be much milder than we knew. The 1.7% fatality rate is going to fall. Where was the press during the Mediterranean Corona outbreak, where the fatality rate was 41%? Why didn’t they get crazed about MERS or SARS? This is an overblown press-created hysteria."

Something to think about.

OK, I buy it. An overblown press-created hysteria. And good thing it is Sunday, we can discuss without knowing the next move in the markets, which we will soon enough.

If the press has created this hysteria, what does that say about the fragility of our markets? Potential global instability while a local event occurs? Because of PERCEIVED bad news?

WOWZA, here I thought investors were more cold blooded, hard core get the money types rather than a scared little group of boys sitting around the campfire being told ghost stories.

Today's "press"...is there anyone, anywhere picking up viewers, listeners, READERS in the NEWS sections of the press? I found no evidence, but a lot that says newspapers are soon to be extinct (on paper), TV and Internet have their groups already, so who does this bad news benefit as far as press and media go?

The FOLLOW the money crowd, might say that fear mongering has long been a weapon of the far right. At the other end, fear benefits liberals and their social agenda.

Or there is DISTRACTION, we have a POTUS who is master of misdirection and distraction while pulling nothing out of his hat. Is the press using CORONAv to keep us from seeing something even more dastardly going on behind the scenes. Is it all part and parcel of the Illuminati plan for the New World Order.

Is it a precursor to MARTIAL LAW, which includes limited travel, will states follow and seal their borders? Will we need a passport to get into W. Virgina from Ohio? Fearmongering, pandemics, world economies at risk.

Now I am not a press or media person. Can't recall the last TV show (News) that I watched, and most important news of my day is usually the weather forecast, do I stay or do I go?

I just don't give that much credit to the PRESS as an organized entity and within the Press, the left and right divisiveness sort of cancels each other out.

WHO is the PRESS and what do they gain from creating this hysteria?

Gordon