SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 10, 2015, 01:37 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Profiting from Rubik's cubes ?

A friend of mine is a mathematics professor at a university... He recently started a channel on YouTube.

"So what?" I hear you cry...

I thought some might be interested in his video on...

How to put a Rubik's cube in a bottle !

Now, there could be a business angle here... A Rubik's cube in a bottle could make great novelty gifts to sell! However, you'd have to get your process of creating them to be as efficient as possible (which may not be easy)...

Meanwhile, if you're feeling up to a challenge, check out his video on Klein bottles and Rubik's cubes...

Something a little different...

Let me know what you think...

Best wishes!

Dien
Old July 10, 2015, 05:50 PM
teamplayer

Default Re: Profiting from Rubik's cubes ?

Dien
I love this stuff. I am a big fan of magic tricks and illusions and objects inside bottles is one of my favorites. You know those model ships inside bottles/
The masts collapse, they put the boat in the bottle then pull the masts upright using a string. But can anyone guess how they get a real apple inside a bottle that clearly cannot fit through the neck of the bottle?
10 points will be awarded the most correct answer.

Trevor
Old July 10, 2015, 08:40 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default "How to hold a crocodile"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
Dien
I love this stuff. I am a big fan of magic tricks and illusions and objects inside bottles is one of my favorites. You know those model ships inside bottles/
The masts collapse, they put the boat in the bottle then pull the masts upright using a string. But can anyone guess how they get a real apple inside a bottle that clearly cannot fit through the neck of the bottle?
10 points will be awarded the most correct answer.
Hi Trevor,

I think they put the bottle on the branch before the fruit has grown, yes?

I actually remember reading about this once... It might have been in a weird and wonderful book I had years ago, "How to hold a crocodile." It was full of offbeat and fun "how to" facts!

(I had the earlier B&W edition from 1981... I see the newer 2003 edition has color pictures! )

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. There could be a "How to hold a crocodile"-like opportunity here. From what I see, the 2003 edition is essentially the same as the 1981 edition, except they added color.

That means a lot of fascinating topics aren't covered... Opportunity for a new version of a similar book? With modern "how to" topics like... "How to survive when your smartphone battery is dead, and you didn't bring your charger!"
Old July 10, 2015, 09:43 PM
teamplayer

Default Re: "How to hold a crocodile"...

Yep! You nailed that one! You are awarded 10 points good for 10 free elevator rides in the building of your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Trevor,

I think they put the bottle on the branch before the fruit has grown, yes?

I actually remember reading about this once... It might have been in a weird and wonderful book I had years ago, "How to hold a crocodile." It was full of offbeat and fun "how to" facts!

(I had the earlier B&W edition from 1981... I see the newer 2003 edition has color pictures! )

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. There could be a "How to hold a crocodile"-like opportunity here. From what I see, the 2003 edition is essentially the same as the 1981 edition, except they added color.

That means a lot of fascinating topics aren't covered... Opportunity for a new version of a similar book? With modern "how to" topics like... "How to survive when your smartphone battery is dead, and you didn't bring your charger!"
Old July 10, 2015, 10:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Riding in a Paternoster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
Yep! You nailed that one! You are awarded 10 points good for 10 free elevator rides in the building of your choice.
Heheh... Thanks Trevor!

Speaking of elevators...

I want to ride in a "paternoster" one day...

Here are a couple of video clips, and you'll see what I mean!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Fc_yG3p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgVoZKvP3M

"Pater noster" means "Lord's prayer"... I think you can see why they called it that...!

(When you get on one... that's what you'll be reciting...)

They're almost gone... but apparently there are still around 250 of them in Germany!

http://qz.com/437347/deathtrap-doorl...nd-in-germany/

Best wishes,

Dien
Old July 11, 2015, 12:32 PM
trevord92

We had a pater noster lift in Sheffield when I was at uni there - a bit scary riding it but I did manage. Although I didn't do the standard student "thing" of going right round the top!

And speaking of magic tricks, I've no idea how Dynamo gets a mobile phone inside a beer bottle
Old July 11, 2015, 09:07 PM
teamplayer

Hi. I tried to watch the video but it said blocked in the United States because of copyright. But I started checking out his other videos and this guy is really amazing. I never heard of him before. I was watching this top ten best moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8HQD5-seI

and he does the phone into bottle trick in the first part of the video
I would not want to guess how he did it. Thanks for letting us know about this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
We had a pater noster lift in Sheffield when I was at uni there - a bit scary riding it but I did manage. Although I didn't do the standard student "thing" of going right round the top!

And speaking of magic tricks, I've no idea how Dynamo gets a mobile phone inside a beer bottle
Old July 11, 2015, 09:32 PM
teamplayer

Did you see him walk down the side of the building? This guy has to be extra-terrestrial!!!

Trevor
Old July 12, 2015, 03:30 AM
trevord92

Don't think I've seen him walk down the side of the building but I have seen him walk on the river Thames on vid. That was interesting - you're thinking "there must be something just under the water" and then a canoeist crosses where he's just been.

Add in things like rings put onto the stems of glasses, fish coming out of previously empty buckets, tattoos amd tan lines being moved plus a few other tricks - he's seriously good!
Old July 12, 2015, 05:42 AM
teamplayer

Here it is at 1.37 on the video he just walks down the side of a building like he is walking on the street and the people in the street are taking pictures.
I can't explain it unless it is all a camera trick. But these shows usually claim there is no camera fakery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8HQD5-seI

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
Don't think I've seen him walk down the side of the building but I have seen him walk on the river Thames on vid. That was interesting - you're thinking "there must be something just under the water" and then a canoeist crosses where he's just been.

Add in things like rings put onto the stems of glasses, fish coming out of previously empty buckets, tattoos amd tan lines being moved plus a few other tricks - he's seriously good!