SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old November 14, 2022, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default It is OK to post here, even guests, easier than email for me...OK?

Private messages and email are fine, however, I prefer you post unless it is a specific question just for you. In this case, a question and convo, I feel it is better to share with the group, OK?

So, the email query asked about if TRADE SHOWS was the secret to hungry buyers?

NO, I can be cryptic, often accused of being so, in this case, no...my point to seeing what is right in front of us, as most of us walk blindly around looking for opportunity, we often step over dollars to pick up dimes.

I like going into Walmart as soon as it opens, I consider it a classroom of Marketing. In my Buddha example, let me ask you all, who do go into a Walmart, how many times have you ever stopped at the jewelry counter?

Some, probably don't even know there is one. Right in front of our eyes, something we walk right by, without as much as a thought...and having been in the jewelry biz, and having written a lot of promotions for these kinds of items...I like to check and talk to the person at the counter.

Ask what is selling right now, what is popular? What are the favorite gifts? And if you just carry on a decent conversation, the person standing there will give you a lot of useful information.

So, NO, I used the TRADE show as an example of SELLERS ARE BUYERS TOO.

And they are a HUNGRY crowd with money to spend. Would it surprise you to learn the Walmart jewelry counter will be busy as heck from here til the end of the year? Well because of all the Mall closings, and most had at least 3 or 4 jewelry stores in them, and because some shoppers want to see, touch and feel the jewelry they buy...

Target and Walmart specializing in low end fine and what we once called costume jewelry will have BIG years, in the coming months.

Right before your eyes. See?

And NO, I'm not advocating getting into the jewelry biz, or the Trade show biz, just demonstrating where to find the TRAFFIC.

Online, if you sell jewelry, and don't have both an etsy and eBay store, you are not getting all the BUILT IN TRAFFIC there is. Online platforms, like those and craigslist, marketplaces (esp Facebook), all have TRAFFIC.

So, starting out. Instead of selling stuff where you need them coming to you, you go to the INTERSECTION where TRAFFIC already exists.

And using things like items sold in eBay or numbers sold on etsy, it is pretty easy to identify HUNGRY markets.

I am going to try to be less cryptic then maybe I've been in the past. But for now, for anyone here, who is interested in making money.

My song and dance, my story, my go to mantras, lectures and sermons have remained the same for over 3 decades.

You need someone who has money to buy and the DESIRE to do so.
You need to INTERSECT with this person somewhere at some time.
You need to have an offer, maybe one they can't refuse.

The details could be anything, any product, any service. But if you start with what we now call AVATARS, who are Prospects with money to spend and a desire to have.

Then meet them at some intersection of space and time. And have an offer. You can't help but make money.

It really is that simple.

So, worries like TRAFFIC, for example become less important, because one knows where the avatars are, and meets them on their journey.

If this doesn't answer the email question, please post up any followups here, or for the members in general, I stand (un, sit and rock) at the ready to answer your questions now, but if I get some energy back, I'll be back to work and less available than I am right now, so ask away.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : November 15, 2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old November 15, 2022, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Part time jobs which paid squat, led me to thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
As I rock away...

Part time work. I've had scores of them. Today, I focus on the why of a few of them.

Companies I worked for include the Akron Auto Auction, Adesa Auto Auction, and American Auto Drive...a fun one.

If you've ever been to an auto auction, they pull the cars in every few minutes and the bidding is fast and furious, and over fast, car leaves, next one in.

I was one of the guys driving those cars. Did that at both auction houses, only like once a week, but the reason wasn't for the wonderful minimum wage...but to get a first peek, a look at what was up for auction that week. So my brother and I had a plan.

In addition to the on site driving during auction day, at Akron Auto, I also was part of a fleet team. We loaded a van up with 10 to 12 guys, drove to NY, NJ area and each driver was dropped off at a car to bring back to Akron. These cars were part of a fleet leasing program. For example, maybe a company like
Progressive had leased a fleet for it's New York sales force, and the lease was up.

So whichever auction house they worked with, would recover these and drive them back. It was cheaper than trying to bring them to one locale and put on trucks, that was very expensive.

Again, the pay wasn't the thing, it was because we knew fleets were well maintained, and even with 200k on the car, minimum parts and replacements and they went at auction for well under blue book.

My most exciting job as a driver, I drove a Pontiac Trans Am like the one in Smoky and the Bandit, from LA to NYC in 3 days, no speed records, of course, but there were times I let it all out.

I actually did that several times when I was young, stupid and traveling.

I liked to drive back then.

Anyhow, as I rock back to nostalgia times...my point was/is...part time gigs, even at minimum wage can give you insights and education into industries, nothing like being an INSIDER.

So, we flipped cars for several years, and I adhere to the principle I wrote about in Sprint to Freedom...buy over there, sell over here. Even the big Auto Auctions use the same principle. Just an opinion, everyone should flip at least one or two cars a year, and it is dirt simple too...BIG DEMAND, and unlimited (mostly) supply. Some very rich guys in USA happen to be auto dealers.

Speaking of driving, other jobs I've had: Driving instructor for SEARS E-Z METHOD, specializing in teens and old people (cause they were the hardest and no one else wanted them).

Jewelry courier. In fact, courier in general, worked for 3 different courier companies, amazing what needs to be taken down the road NOW!

I had a friend work in a Wendy's part-time for a year, THEN, he became a manager, regional and then a co-owner, and part of business that had scores of fast food chains under their roof. From minimum wage, to 100k a year.

So, if you have an interest in anything, consider working in that area to see the inner workings.

If I were younger, I'd be in TESLA, learning all I could.

Gordon

Was selling 5 cars a year before the spike in used cars. In my state 5 is the limit before you have to have a dealer license.
Old November 15, 2022, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Secrets. Ready to spill my guts, clean up on Aisle Gordo

Quote:
I've made a lot of moolah selling writing to HUNGRY crowds. They are hidden in plain sight, seldom mentioned, rarely discussed. Mainly, most don't know about them. Or know how.

Thank goodness I'm here...and WILLING (finally) to share some details.

Yea, Halbert had the first half right on...sell to a hungry crowd. WHERE to find them is the more important detail he left off...

And once you know where they are, HOW TO contact them. And WHAT to say to them.

Gary had the right INTERSECTION in the transaction process, and maybe by example, he showed how he did it.

Before I reveal my closely guarded secrets, first...

There is a STARVING crowd outside TACO BELL at 2 AM, or there is a Hungry Crowd waiting for their seat at SUBLIMOTION in Ibiza, Spain.

Both hungry crowds, eh? A big difference between a box of tacos and a 20 course dinner experience.

So, as a marketer, I want a hungry crowd, but not a starving, penniless one outside of the homeless shelter waiting for the soup kitchen to open.

Which is why I harp so much on TARGETS, markets, avatars, niches and telling everyone for the umpteenth time, most profit is made at the choice of your offer.

What that is, like in chatteling, the What doesn't matter...

It is the ratio of hunger to dollars, can they afford it, and why not start with those that can, and do less selling, motivation, less persuasion and influence and find the HUNGRY crowd with the moolah and sell to them?

It it makes any sense to anyone, I'll continue and show exactly what I mean. No interest?

NO problem, I have other things to do.

Gordon

That missing link Gordon is what the so called IM Gurus won't share (if they even know) with their entry courses. Gotta attend the 10k Mastermind Workshop for that.

I for one am all EARS.
Old November 15, 2022, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash4notes View Post
That missing link Gordon is what the so called IM Gurus won't share (if they even know) with their entry courses. Gotta attend the 10k Mastermind Workshop for that.

I for one am all EARS.

ATTENTION. Right face.

At ease. Do this in your bathroom, and when you make your right face, make it toward the mirror, and SEE the face, THE best hungry face you will ever see.

And that is SECRET ONE. Assess what you buy, and why? Some necessities, probably have TeePee right there. But what about IM buys? Or look around your place, and if not a necessity, then WHY did you buy it, the whatever it is.

My little space heater under my desk keep my toes warm, whereas I prefer to work in a cool house, I'd rather wear a sweatshirt than have a lot of heat coming at me, but my feets, they like some warmth.

I guess I got HUNGRY for some warm feet, sans socks, which annoy me.

This time of the year, I bet ol Ben Suarez is raking it in with his EdenPure heaters, we just got our first taste of snow this past weekend, and we know it is on the way. Stupid people like me, still live here, and we make guys like Ben richer buying things we wouldn't need in S. FL. Why I ain't there, is a mystery to me.

Anyhow, in your bathroom looking at the Ideal avatar, do you see any toothpaste? Unless you make your own, chances are you are one of many millions of folks who use that same brand.

Do you go a month without when the tube is empty, or does your mouth hunger for some fresh cleanliness? And those smart folks selling that CONSUMABLE, are happy to fulfill that hunger you have.

So, when seeking HUNGRY markets for what you offer, start with the markets you are already a part of. Say you are in a group which discusses NOTES, and not the musical ones...but those which exchange hands and can turn a decent profit. Maybe a non performing piece of RE, coming on auction.

There will be bids. Who> where and when? Investors hungry for a good deal, eh?

So, my GO square with HUNGRY CROWDS begin with the one guy I see in the mirror, and then, my next move would be to find those AVATARS or Prospects if one prefers, who have similar interests as that handsome devil I see looking back at me.

More later.

Gordon
Old November 16, 2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
ATTENTION. Right face.

At ease. Do this in your bathroom, and when you make your right face, make it toward the mirror, and SEE the face, THE best hungry face you will ever see.

And that is SECRET ONE. Assess what you buy, and why? Some necessities, probably have TeePee right there. But what about IM buys? Or look around your place, and if not a necessity, then WHY did you buy it, the whatever it is.

My little space heater under my desk keep my toes warm, whereas I prefer to work in a cool house, I'd rather wear a sweatshirt than have a lot of heat coming at me, but my feets, they like some warmth.

I guess I got HUNGRY for some warm feet, sans socks, which annoy me.

This time of the year, I bet ol Ben Suarez is raking it in with his EdenPure heaters, we just got our first taste of snow this past weekend, and we know it is on the way. Stupid people like me, still live here, and we make guys like Ben richer buying things we wouldn't need in S. FL. Why I ain't there, is a mystery to me.

Anyhow, in your bathroom looking at the Ideal avatar, do you see any toothpaste? Unless you make your own, chances are you are one of many millions of folks who use that same brand.

Do you go a month without when the tube is empty, or does your mouth hunger for some fresh cleanliness? And those smart folks selling that CONSUMABLE, are happy to fulfill that hunger you have.

So, when seeking HUNGRY markets for what you offer, start with the markets you are already a part of. Say you are in a group which discusses NOTES, and not the musical ones...but those which exchange hands and can turn a decent profit. Maybe a non performing piece of RE, coming on auction.

There will be bids. Who> where and when? Investors hungry for a good deal, eh?

So, my GO square with HUNGRY CROWDS begin with the one guy I see in the mirror, and then, my next move would be to find those AVATARS or Prospects if one prefers, who have similar interests as that handsome devil I see looking back at me.

More later.

Gordon

Gordon,

As usual, you explain more in a few paragraphs than an entire college course in just about everything you touch. In addition, you make it simple to understand the whole avatar concept... by just taking a look at ourselves !

This "Looking in the mirror" simplifies a whole host of questions and gives valuable direction for those of us who are information marketers.

This brings up the notion that we should stick to what we know.

I WANT TO HEAR MORE ON THIS.
Old November 16, 2022, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

As usual, you explain more in a few paragraphs than an entire college course in just about everything you touch. In addition, you make it simple to understand the whole avatar concept... by just taking a look at ourselves !

This "Looking in the mirror" simplifies a whole host of questions and gives valuable direction for those of us who are information marketers.

This brings up the notion that we should stick to what we know.

I WANT TO HEAR MORE ON THIS.

MY opinion: 75% of the marketers I know, need to pivot away from what they are doing.

That could be controversial, if we had a ton of viewers here, and allow me to explain what I mean.

In over 30 years of dealing directly with Entrepreneurs and Internet Marketers, most create their own little mouse race; maybe having escaped the RAT race they once were in, now they are trapped in their own little world and the treadmill may not have as many people around it...

BUT IT IS A TREADMILL, just the same.

I am NOT saying to Abandon anything, but today, all of us, ME included, need to pivot to automation, software solutions, less people involved, less moving parts and less slop and mess.

Millard, I really am just an old record, and many folks have heard it, but sometimes, someone actually HEARS it.

When I made a conscious CHOICE away from Work (Werk?!!) for money to work for TIME, everything changed. My eyes were opened to Maximum Money in Minimum Time, the title of at least 3 different books I've read.

I like the concept. BUT, what is max money, and how much time is minimum?

Part two of that is, what do you do with the EXCESS money, the dough above and beyond living expenses, and here is where many create more work for themselves. THINGS. I made a conscious effort to NOT spend money on things. I was like Marty Kondo, not Marie, who didn't buy the stuff she would later see as clutter.

I like electronics, so a computer and all those gizmos were OK, but all the things I had or thought I wanted, fell by the wayside.

Again, not saying this is for anyone else, just as background.

If you want someTHING, NEVER get it on credit or terms, CASH ONLY. Hard concept to follow. But if anyone wants someTHING, then make the moolah first, then get it. A pretty tough discipline to follow.

Today, another opinion, Alen Sultanic is the best online marketer to learn from and follow, and his basic advice, which I have been giving for 30 years too is...MAKE OFFERS. Have something to sell.

Insurance companies use the term, IN FORCE, meaning the current state of an alive policy, one that is being paid or is paid up.

I borrow this term to offers, AND my initial question for people I work with is; what do you currently have in force? In the market? What are you selling?

To whom?

And WHY?

You are an ENTERTAINER. And you entertain via Magic.
You may be an Educator, also teaching by Magic.
As a marketer, you would need to have your magic knowledge IN FORCE, working for you. I think that is what you are doing now, right?

When you look in the mirror, do you not see decades of successful shows under your belt? A face that knows how to Entertain, but in order to be either an Educator or Entertainer, you have to have...

AN AUDIENCE.

And that is the same as the TRAFFIC question too.

WHO is going to see the show? Where, when? (INTERSECTION).

And for most all Entertainers in the world, the stumper; HOW.

How to get an audience? A gig? A booking? YOU know what to give them and are confident in your abilities to give a good show.

Now, this is a general Metaphor TOO. All of us being "performers" of sorts. My stage is the Internet, most of my performance is done via WRITING, and I have my own confidence in my skill.

Just as you might custom tailor a performance to any given audience, an elementary school probably a bit different than a corporate gig (maybe not, a lot of spoiled brats in business...ha!)...I might change up my writing to meet the needs of my audience.

Anyhow, a pivot in basketball, is when one foot stays in place. And I think those using the term forget this, when I see people talking about making a pivot in IM, they mostly talk about changing direction, with both feet (whistle blows, traveling called, ball gets taken away).

But keep one foot in place, doing what is paying the bills, but pivot directions by losing the slop, mess and

going back to Max. $$$ MIN time.
Old November 18, 2022, 09:55 AM

Default Less Slop

Gordon,

I am with you 100% !

After years of booking my own shows via my efforts in marketing, ads, etc., etc., etc. I found it tiring. However, all this marketing, etc., gave me something better than the shows... I got an education !

As a result, I found myself doing less and less entertaining and more and more consulting. This consulting was NOT for magicians (I found magicians notoriously cheap) but for business owners.

A LOT of times, it's simply asking "How are things going?" to start a conversation, and then it's off to the races.

Frankly, I give away a lot of free advice just chatting with people. Usually, if folks want more information, they just ask. I go from there.

Ha! The biggest challenge is getting clients to do what you ask them to do !

I do like the concept of group consulting or a monthly fee to discuss concepts on a weekly basis to a group via Zoom or other platform. There are a few folks that do this effectively, i.e. weekly Mastermind.

Doing this remotely or "hands off" is essentially a course... however, doing a weekly Mastermind pays much better.

But, getting back to less slop, a course, is more of set it up... say, place ads in places your target audience sees, or joint ventures, etc., and you are ready to go.

Still, a bit of work whatever you do.
Old November 20, 2022, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default One of those: Knowing what you know...questions?

Ponder this:
Millard, knowing what you know today, if you wanted (had) to go out and get a few gigs, quickly, WHAT would you do?

Give this some thought, and I wonder what, if any, social media, or newsworthy "press" you might use?

Your thought upon answer, could be as valuable as a front row seat to the next Taylor Swift concert.

GordonJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

I am with you 100% !

After years of booking my own shows via my efforts in marketing, ads, etc., etc., etc. I found it tiring. However, all this marketing, etc., gave me something better than the shows... I got an education !

As a result, I found myself doing less and less entertaining and more and more consulting. This consulting was NOT for magicians (I found magicians notoriously cheap) but for business owners.

A LOT of times, it's simply asking "How are things going?" to start a conversation, and then it's off to the races.

Frankly, I give away a lot of free advice just chatting with people. Usually, if folks want more information, they just ask. I go from there.

Ha! The biggest challenge is getting clients to do what you ask them to do !

I do like the concept of group consulting or a monthly fee to discuss concepts on a weekly basis to a group via Zoom or other platform. There are a few folks that do this effectively, i.e. weekly Mastermind.

Doing this remotely or "hands off" is essentially a course... however, doing a weekly Mastermind pays much better.

But, getting back to less slop, a course, is more of set it up... say, place ads in places your target audience sees, or joint ventures, etc., and you are ready to go.

Still, a bit of work whatever you do.
Old November 22, 2022, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default I wouldn't flip a car for less than 2k profit, unless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash4notes View Post
Was selling 5 cars a year before the spike in used cars. In my state 5 is the limit before you have to have a dealer license.
It was the same in OH, not sure today...but, consider the idea, of only a 1k flip on those 5, or 5 thousand dollars to work with.

On any given day, 10,001 Internet Marketers claim we can turn pennies into dollars with their programs. OK.

But 5 k can buy everything you need for an IM business, if one chooses the right one.

So, how many CATS or TRACTORS can you flip in your state? When Bill Myers wrote about the Kubota, BACK in the early 21st century, I made a haul, buying over there and selling over here. My Brother having a flatbed car hauler helped of course.

All kinds of things, but CARS, should be at least a couple a year, just to stay sharp and make fast bux.

Gordon
Old November 23, 2022, 10:39 AM

Default Getting Gigs Fast

Gordon,

In answer to your question on having to get gigs fast....

First, I'd contact everyone I did a show for and ask for referrals, giving them a FREE show for every referral that turned into a show. This isn't a risk for me because I know that every show I perform turns into at LEAST 4 other shows throughout the year.

Second, if I have to use social media, I would use copy that sold my shows and see if I could book some shows that way.

Thirdly, still using social media, I would offer a FREE show, with directions to contact me for information. I would make sure that the school getting the FREE show would allow me to mail a snail mail letter to all their friends at other schools AFTER I gave them a great show.

I may have mentioned this before, I did the exact thing with a pre-school director and booked an ENTIRE summer of shows this way.

No reason that a variation of this couldn't work today.

Perhaps someone could offer to do a FREE analysis of a business and then ask for 3 referrals. I seem to remember Paddi Lund, the highly successful Australian dentist, asked for 3 referrals BEFORE he actually started work on a patient.