SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old September 6, 2006, 08:03 AM

Default Re: A Great Man???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
I guess I have higher standards when it comes to declaring a person to be Great.

Michael Ross

Ah - thats definately true.

Because I do hold the mushy sounding notion that greatness lies in everyone.
Old September 6, 2006, 11:01 AM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Remembering Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter"!

I've posted rather extensively on the FIB board about this but I think sharing one aspect is important regarding the way he died.

Everyone is making Steve out to be this big, brave, macho, man and, in some ways, he was. Unfortunately he was also foolhardy...and paid for it with the ultimate sacrifice. What worries me is the fools who will follow him in the pursuit of the Stingrays for their own 'I can do what he couldn't...see?' stupid reasons. They'll be as surprised as Steve probably was when a stressed life form uses the only defense they have left when pursued and crowded to the point they feel threatened.

The BBC did a nice article on Steve's death. In the section, "It probably felt threatened" you can read exactly how the events took place and what the Stingray's actions and situation before the attack were. Here's the link to the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asis-pacific/5314918.stm?ls

There is no point in suffering unless we learn something from it. That is especially true here. Environmentalists, in their enthusiasm, often don't stop to think of the effect they have on other life forms and the very environment they seek to exploit and protect. This otherwise peaceful life form was pushed to defend itself and you see the tragic result. For all we know there were two deaths that day: Steve and the stingray who had been pushed too far and possibly stressed beyond recovery.

I find it interesting that folks don't seem to understand that stress kills...not just people but other life forms as well. Even trees respond to the cutting of other trees near them (true fact)...so why wouldn't a crockodile, gator, or stingray...or any other life form... be stressed when pursued for whatever reason or handled by one who could logically be considered a predator upon them?

We need to be more sensitive to other life forms and the effect we have upon them. That is Steve's final contribution to our understanding: his death can raise our awareness of the effect we have on other life forms and the risks involved on both sides.

Sandi Bowman
Old September 6, 2006, 12:15 PM
karunnt

If he was such an ordinary person why has his death affected so many people?

Reminds me of that book 'How to win friends and influence people'.
Old September 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
Phil

Default Someone always has to come out of the woodwork...

Your Thoughts...

'Crocodile Hunter' exploited animals, critic says
Feminist author Greer says 'It’s no surprise that he came to grief’
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14694683/

Phil
Old September 6, 2006, 04:28 PM
MichaelRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Ah - thats definately true.

Because I do hold the mushy sounding notion that greatness lies in everyone.

In which case, the Power of the word is diluted and is as effective as declaring a person to be Human. As in, there goes Steve Irwin, a Human Being.

And also, if used for one person, we should thus use it for all people, all the time as well. And again, the Power of the word is diluted to virtual nothingness.

Michael Ross
Old September 6, 2006, 04:47 PM
MichaelRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I've read comments of those who knew him say that he had the same "hyper" personality when the cameras were off.

The cameras may have been off, but there was still an audience to play up to.

I image a guy at home eating cereal. He pours the milk and fills his bowl. He bumps the bowl to the the edge of the cupboard top and exclaims, "CRICKEY! That was Close" in his Trademark manner. I think not.

You've seen that Quarantine ad he did? That exemplifies what I am talking about. It exudes fake enthusiasm, for the camera's sake.

I'm not saying he wasn't enthusiastic about what he did... just that there was a heavy dose of Fake enthusiasm when the cameras/audience was around. That's all.

Michael Ross
Old September 6, 2006, 07:14 PM
Thomas Rice

Default Re: Someone always has to come out of the woodwork...

I think Steve Irwin got close to animals to make his show more exciting and to bring his message of conservation to a wider audience.

The interview Andrew Denton did with Steve Irwin a few years ago on "Enough Rope" is a good insight into Irwin's character.

Transcript: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/...s/s1732743.htm
Video (part 1): http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/...ip=steveirwin1
Other videos aren't up yet (but should be later this week)
Enough Rope website: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/default.htm
Old September 6, 2006, 10:36 PM
hdoyle

any loss of a young life is sad IMO

as far as him being a great man, we all are aren't we? all in own own unique ways

I can appreciate Steve Irwin for the awareness he brought to the animals he "played" with, an awareness and appreciation that could translate to them escaping extinction.

I once read a quote from him saying "we'll save what we love" --I guess that was his place in life --teaching millions to love and help save animals, even the scary ones. For that I salute the man --rest in peace Steve Irwin

Heidi
Old September 6, 2006, 11:07 PM
RickC

I usually appreciate and TRY to understand your posts, where you're coming from and all. On this one...it just reeks of jealousy. Pathetic. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, thoughl

No matter what, Steve Irwin was a good man, making a living in a great way (like many here might hope to do), doing what he loved. What's wrong with that? It's not his fault, that now, people are saying hero and whatever.

Too much is being made of his death. He lived life like he wanted to, did what he did. Too late to over analyize things now. Doesn't matter, and quite frankly, I don't think he would care about our opinions and the media attention it is getting. Then again, I can't speak for him (or anyone else can, but they try to, especially now that he cannot speak for himself).

Richard
Old September 7, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hugh Gaugler

Default 'Tain't Necessarily So . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
In which case, the Power of the word is diluted and is as effective as declaring a person to be Human. As in, there goes Steve Irwin, a Human Being.

And also, if used for one person, we should thus use it for all people, all the time as well. And again, the Power of the word is diluted to virtual nothingness.

Let us harken unto the definition of great (as applied to a person). Here's one I found:

"(used of persons) standing above others in character or attainment or reputation"

While one could argue about attainment or character regarding the person in question, certainly the reputation he achieved in his field places him in the "great" category. Or at least moderately "great" if such a thing is possible.

Not that it's important whether or not he or anyone else is remembered as a "great" man. I doubt very much that he cares about that at the moment.

Personally, I liked the man and I enjoyed his style. And for me, that pretty much expresses why I think of his death as a loss. He was just a guy, like the rest of us, true . . . but the fact is that he went out and achieved something in his life.

Regardless of one's opinion of Steve Irwin, his style, or what he did or did not accomplish, the man DID something with his life. That makes him "great" in my book!

[He could have spent his life watching TV and drinking beer . . . like millions of Joe Six-Packs . . . in which case, none of us would be talking about him, and likely very few, if any, would consider him a great man in any way.]

---- Hugh