SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 2, 2015, 10:21 AM
Duane Adolph

Default Joe Karbo: Rare Television Interview

Hello Sowpubbers,

It's been a while, hasn't it? Hope you are all well.

I just saw this video of Joe posted, and realized that I have NEVER seen Joe Karbo in any infoproduct/interview other than his famous book.

Instantly thought you folks here at Sowpub would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiQXZu8tVfg#t=192

Cheers

Duane
Old June 2, 2015, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Duane great stuff.

This was filmed a few yeas after Joe had mentored me and he was a smaller guy here, by maybe 60 or more pounds. Toward the end of this interview, we saw a shot of some of his workers...

Now between 73 and 83, Joe was mentored by Harvey Brody, who had one of the first mail order computer list management services in the industry for the small guy.

I take note of his belief that Dyna-Psych is more important than "methods". This belief in thinking first is another thing he shared with Harvey Brody. Once Joe got his mind right, via Dyna-Psych (and if you are interested, I'll reveal Joe's resources for it)...he really took off.

This was the Golden Era of small publishers much like today may be the Golden Era for Self-Publishing, because of all the marketing tools available.

Thanks Duane, good stuff.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adolph View Post
Hello Sowpubbers,

I just saw this video of Joe posted, and realized that I have NEVER seen Joe Karbo in any infoproduct/interview other than his famous book.

Cheers

Duane

Last edited by GordonJ : June 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old June 2, 2015, 12:54 PM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: Thanks Duane great stuff.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the additional insight into Joe Karbo. Seems like Harvey Brody was instrumental and mentored many future successes. (sidenote: Did Harvey Mentor Jay Abraham too? I recall reading/hearing that somewhere)

YES. I did make note of his mention of the Dyna-Psych. I am interested in knowing Joe's Resource for it...please do share.

Glad you enjoyed.

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
This was filmed a few yeas after Joe had mentored me and he was a smaller guy here, by maybe 60 or more pounds. Toward the end of this interview, we saw a shot of some of his workers...

Now between 73 and 83, Joe was mentored by Harvey Brody, who had one of the first mail order computer list management services in the industry for the small guy.

I take note of his belief that Dyna-Psych is more important than "methods". This belief in thinking first is another thing he shared with Harvey Brody. Once Joe got his mind right, via Dyna-Psych (and if you are interested, I'll reveal Joe's resources for it)...he really took off.

This was the Golden Era of small publishers much like today may be the Golden Era for Self-Publishing, because of all the marketing tools available.

Thanks Duane, good stuff.

Gordon
Old June 2, 2015, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Cliff notes here...

History line...

When Bud Weckesser was at Kent, he met Gary Halbert...

At Indiana, Jay Abes was Bud's student, he introduced Jay to Harvey, J went to CA, studied with Harvey...then went off his own.

Harvey had one of the first computer managed list services...and during this time, in S CA there were many seminars on mailorder.

Harvey worked with Gary Halbert, Ben Suarez. Joe Karbo, Joe Sugarman, Jay Abraham, Joe Cossman, Jerry Buchanan and many others.

Almost all got into PUBLISHING, and created their own materials.

As for Joe, I met every week with Joe Karbo, I was a student at Golden West Community College in Huntington Beach. Karbo took a liking to me, both Navy guys, he was fascinated with submarine stories and he also knew people in Akron whom I had worked for.

In the video you linked to, his desk still had stuff on it, even though by then he wasn't going there often. When I sat on that leather couch, there were stacks and stacks of books, newsletters and envelopes scattered around.

He showed me HOTSHEETS, one of which was a weekly flyer put out by S. CA yacht association, for which Joe paid 20 bux a week to get, it went out to a list of around 200.

He also rec'd information on closeouts, overstocks and discontinued items. He was a subscriber to just about every newsletter out there on mail order.

He loved boats, had a whole bunch of kids (can't remember how many), was a great story teller and just a very likeable person, and smart as the proverbial whip. He wasn't ashamed of his many failures either, wearing them on his sleeve as badges.

While I was out there, I met with several mail order business men, and I have to put Karbo at the top. He gave me his TIME, and that is better than any money or methods he had to sell.

The Dyna-Psych stuff was traced back to Robert Collier and his mentor, William Atchinson. I'll post a brief Cliff's notes version of that time line too, later.

Gordon

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the additional insight into Joe Karbo. Seems like Harvey Brody was instrumental and mentored many future successes. (sidenote: Did Harvey Mentor Jay Abraham too? I recall reading/hearing that somewhere)

YES. I did make note of his mention of the Dyna-Psych. I am interested in knowing Joe's Resource for it...please do share.

Glad you enjoyed.

Duane
Old June 2, 2015, 02:52 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: Joe Karbo: Rare Television Interview

Right after the Karbo Video is a Seminar Video by another mail order guy named "T.J. Rohleder who inspired me to get into mail order with his and his wife Eileen's little booklet "Dialing For Dollars".

Over the years, I watched as TJ and Eileen proceeded to do seminars and come out with many products from their home in a small town and went on to sell $150 MILLYUN mail order products.

The TURN KEY CASH PROGRAM" is one I still have a copy of. And, I was a member of Jerry Buchanon's Newsletter. Jerry was another Mail Order Magnate.

What got Jerry into Mail Order was when he bought a house and large lot in Vancouver, WA.....he found his land was covered with Mole & Gopher HOLES. The local Farmer's CO-OP's solutions didn't work BUT.....he lived right across the road from a Golf Course and one day he noticed the Golf Course did NOT have any Mole & Gopher Holes.....so.....he went over and asked the head grounds keeper what HE was doing to get rid of the Moles & Gophers.

When the groundskeeper told Jerry the Plant to plant around his property, Jerry got a "Hot Flash"; "Why don't I make up a booklet about "How To Rid Your Property of Moles & Gophers"!

So....Jerry made up the booklet and ran Classified Ads in 3 or 4 Farmer's Magazines ....."How To Rid Your Property of Gophers and Moles. Send $3 to Box___________"

So....ads in magazines usually take 8 to 10 weeks so.....Jerry placed the Ads and went about his business. Then....one day he got a call from the local Post Master; "Hey Jerry, we've got 4 bags of envelopes here with YOUR Name on them.....can you come down and pick them up?"

Well.....Jerry was overwhelmed and this was the start of his Mail Order biz.

Back in 1990 when my wifee and I moved to Roseburg, Oregon....I took a ride up to Vancouver, WA to see if I could see Jerry...and as luck would have it.....I found Jerry at home and he and I spent the next 6 or 7 hours talking about Mail Order, Marketing and Promotion stuff and we kept in touch for the next few yrs until Jerry passed.

HE inspired me to take my "FAX-BULLETIN" and "DAILY FAX" programs and sell them thru the Mail.....which I did for 4 or 5 yrs.

In fact it was Jerry who came up with the Title of my "Fax Bux Course"; "How To Make $700 A Day....Sending Faxes".....which I "funneled" into a $795 Course and sold thousands.

Thank you Duane, for your remembrance

Don Alm.....long-time entroopeneer
Old June 2, 2015, 03:03 PM
Don Alm

Hey guys.....quick question;

Was it Joe Karbo or someone else who sold a course on "Placing Ads on Plastic Phone Book Covers?

I'm thinking it WAS Joe....whose real name was not Karbo (as I recall) he used Karbo for "confidential" reasons.

I'm thinking "Joe's" book had to do with "Putting Ads on Plastic Phone Book Covers when he began the Phone Book Cover biz from his home in the SouthSide of Chgo.

When I got his book and Sample it changed my life.....and.....I got to talk to Joe a few times by phone.

Anyways.....I was living in Aspen, CO at the time and.....went around to the merchants in Aspen and put together a "Phone Book Cover". I also did one in Vail, Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction and made a TON of Money.

Don Alm

Long Time Entroopeneer
Old June 3, 2015, 12:12 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Hello Sowpubbers,

Hi Duane,

Great to see you again, and I hope that everything is going well for you!

Thanks also for posting that link... The video was fascinating...

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" I think was one of the first books I ever bought on entrepreneurship... (I got one of the "newer" editions which was updated and expanded by Richard G. Nixon.) I guess the value of it to me was it helped to open up a whole new world and to see what's possible...

One thing I remember finding fascinating in the book was how Joe made money buying unwanted cardboard boxes from department stores, and reselling them! At the time, I had no idea you could even do that!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old June 3, 2015, 11:53 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The importance of having the right "mind-set"...

Quote:

Hi Gordon,

I just want to emphasize here that, from what I've learned from Harvey (and you have, too), is that what is most important is the mind-set...

Everyone wants the techniques (which are important too). What I learned from Harvey is that if you have the right mental/spiritual approach, you can then develop the techniques. After all, that's what he did... Sure, he learned from other people, but he also created his own approach to many things (which had very high success rates), and they all came from having the right mindset and mental/spiritual approach...

That's why his "old" materials are not "out of date," in my opinion. Sure, some of the specific techniques might be out of date, due to changes in technology, etc. But the mindset is not out of date, and the principles are also not out of date... Those are actually the more valuable things you learn (though few people focus on these things, not realizing how valuable they are)...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Some of Harvey's old books and courses are available again on eBay, for those who are interested... These are normally very hard to get...
Old June 4, 2015, 12:11 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Ads on phone book covers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Was it Joe Karbo or someone else who sold a course on "Placing Ads on Plastic Phone Book Covers?
Hi Don,

I don't know the answer to your question... But here are a couple businesses who seem to still be doing the "ads on phone book covers" business (among other things)...

http://thephonebookcovers.com/americover

http://ddadvertising.com/products.html

However, people seem to be using phone books less and less nowadays, and more people are doing online searches instead (which is what your "online videos" business takes advantage of!)...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old June 4, 2015, 11:02 AM
Duane Adolph

Default Re: Cliff notes here...

Hi Gordon,

Wow. Thanks for the "History Line" I found it fascinating.

I did not know much about Joe Karbo as I had mentioned.

Well acquainted with the works of those names you mentioned that worked with Harvey.

Any details on William Atchinson? I never heard that name before. Is he a Direct Marketing/Mail Order Guy? Be interested to see the "originator" of the Dyna-Psych

I appreciate the history lesson Gordon.

Cheers

Duane
Quote:
History line...

When Bud Weckesser was at Kent, he met Gary Halbert...

At Indiana, Jay Abes was Bud's student, he introduced Jay to Harvey, J went to CA, studied with Harvey...then went off his own.

Harvey had one of the first computer managed list services...and during this time, in S CA there were many seminars on mailorder.

Harvey worked with Gary Halbert, Ben Suarez. Joe Karbo, Joe Sugarman, Jay Abraham, Joe Cossman, Jerry Buchanan and many others.

Almost all got into PUBLISHING, and created their own materials.

As for Joe, I met every week with Joe Karbo, I was a student at Golden West Community College in Huntington Beach. Karbo took a liking to me, both Navy guys, he was fascinated with submarine stories and he also knew people in Akron whom I had worked for.

In the video you linked to, his desk still had stuff on it, even though by then he wasn't going there often. When I sat on that leather couch, there were stacks and stacks of books, newsletters and envelopes scattered around.

He showed me HOTSHEETS, one of which was a weekly flyer put out by S. CA yacht association, for which Joe paid 20 bux a week to get, it went out to a list of around 200.

He also rec'd information on closeouts, overstocks and discontinued items. He was a subscriber to just about every newsletter out there on mail order.

He loved boats, had a whole bunch of kids (can't remember how many), was a great story teller and just a very likeable person, and smart as the proverbial whip. He wasn't ashamed of his many failures either, wearing them on his sleeve as badges.

While I was out there, I met with several mail order business men, and I have to put Karbo at the top. He gave me his TIME, and that is better than any money or methods he had to sell.

The Dyna-Psych stuff was traced back to Robert Collier and his mentor, William Atchinson. I'll post a brief Cliff's notes version of that time line too, later.

Gordon