SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 12, 2014, 05:44 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to use the power of connections to reach your goals…

I’m currently re-reading Keith Ferrazzi’s book, "Never Eat Alone."

It’s great! For some reason, I’m seeing things in there that I don’t remember "getting" when I read it the last time (which would have been a few years ago now)...

If you read it properly, it’s really a marketing book. It’s not just about general "networking"...

It’s actually about how to get what you want.

And how to do it through people!

Here’s a little anecdote about me… I’ve always had this "idealized" notion of "doing it yourself." I know I’m not the only one.

Someone, being the "independent" guy who "does it himself" (or "herself") seems "heroic" and a bit "romanticized"...

But - the reality is - that’s not how it works.

As Isaac Newton said,

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

That is - for all the great things Isaac Newton did in scientific discovery - he didn’t really do it "himself." His work was built on the work of others… He was originally taught by others, and supported in one way or another by others, and he built on work that others had done before him.

Anyhow, this "do it all by myself" attitude is the attitude I had when I first started speaking with entrepreneurial genius Harvey Brody. He quickly knocked me straight!

As he pointed out, you always have to deal with people. Of course, you’re dealing with people as customers. But also as partners, suppliers, distributors, sellers, and so on.

My romanticized "independent man" notion was… poppycock! (Though he never used that word - that’s from me… )

Okay, back to Keith Ferrazzi…

Here’s Keith Ferrazzi’s formula for reaching your goals…

(He calls it his "Network Action Plan")

Step 1.

Set a goal. What would you like to accomplish (say) 3 years from today?

Then work backards and set mid- and short-term goals.

Step 2.

Name one or two people for each of these sub-goals who you think can get you one step closer to making your goal a reality.

(By the way, you don’t have to know these people already!)

Step 3.

Figure out how you’ll get to know these people!

He says some people you may have to "cold call." Some people you may get to know through friends of friends. Or you might be able to meet them at a conference, or through a specific club.

That’s his "formula" in a nutshell. (Of course, his book provides many more details…)

I’ve always appreciated the power of knowing people - knowing the right people opens doors. However, I never came across such a systematic approach (or I didn’t really pick up on it when I read this book the first time around)!

I just thought I’d share that, in case some here find it helpful…

Best wishes,

Dien
Old July 22, 2014, 11:08 PM
Randy

Default Re: How to use the power of connections to reach your goals…

Dien thank you for sharing this with us. I have always known the power of connections and yet I also have always for some reason worked alone. I just bought this on Kindle a moment ago after reading some of it as a sample there.

Thanks again for recommending. Looks like it will be very good.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:24 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Dien thank you for sharing this with us. I have always known the power of connections and yet I also have always for some reason worked alone. I just bought this on Kindle a moment ago after reading some of it as a sample there.

Thanks again for recommending. Looks like it will be very good.
Hi Randy,

You're someone who has an amazing story of overcoming adversity... It still gives me an emotional reaction when I think about it. I hope that all is going well for you...!

A friend of mine had a stroke and recovered (though he is still partly paralyzed), and wrote a book about it. This is the book...

"The Little Book of Hope"

http://www.littlebookofhope.com

http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-Boo.../dp/0991214307

(He got Jack Canfield, famous from the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series, to create a promotional "blurb" for it, too...)

The thing is, your story is just as amazing, and it might be a good idea to get it "out there" as an inspiration to others...

Anyway, let me know what you think of "Never Eat Alone" !

Best wishes,

Dien
Old July 26, 2014, 10:21 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Randy,

You're someone who has an amazing story of overcoming adversity... It still gives me an emotional reaction when I think about it. I hope that all is going well for you...!

A friend of mine had a stroke and recovered (though he is still partly paralyzed), and wrote a book about it. This is the book...

"The Little Book of Hope"

http://www.littlebookofhope.com

http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-Boo.../dp/0991214307

(He got Jack Canfield, famous from the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series, to create a promotional "blurb" for it, too...)

The thing is, your story is just as amazing, and it might be a good idea to get it "out there" as an inspiration to others...

Anyway, let me know what you think of "Never Eat Alone" !

Best wishes,

Dien

Hi Dien,

Thanks for the thought! I have had several through the years suggest I write on book on different subjects based on some life experiences I have had. My thing was I always had so many ideas I was choosing from ... sitting down and writing just never got me real excited at that time. I don't rule it out at all though. I do and always have liked inspiring others who can benefit from the inspiration and from experiences I know about ... especially first hand experiences.

I got the 2014 version of Never Eat Alone and I'm enjoying it very much. A lot of what I already knew and have experienced in the past but funny how life takes you down various bunny trails and you get away from some things that were successful previously successful.

I have caught me drawing away from the public in the past couple of years and making some changes in my life but I still love and miss working with the business owners so this has been helpful in getting me re-excited about connecting again. Actually something I have been looking into and planning in the past few weeks ties right in with all of this.

Thanks again Dien for posting about this book as it is reigniting something within me and I look forward to what is about to take place in my life.

Randy