SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 8, 2011, 10:02 PM
Bozo

Default Getting Branded

I've had signs on my car long enough now, and have cleaned a bunch of headlights, such that I'm being recognized. We had dinner at my favorite taco stand tonight, and overheard the construction guys in the nearby ditch say "Hey, there's "The Headlight Guy"."

Finished dinner and then cleaned the taco lady's headlights. She said her husband had tried and tried to clean them with stuff he had bought. They were a mess, and now they shine like new.

I have "The Headlight Guy" on my car door signs. It was just a lucky pick for a name. People like it.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:31 AM
sandalwood

Default Re: Getting Branded

Boz,

A quick question - why don't you have your phone # underneath The Headlight Guy? As branded as you are in your town, it would seem you wouldn't have to go sit anywhere people instead would be calling you.

Have a great day!

Tom
Old December 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
Robert J.

Hey, Bo! Good stuff!

You were obviously doing this prior to Gordon's mentions here on the board? correct?

Are you utilizing any of the marketing from Gordon's product (the stuff that the Boz uses?

Wait a minute! You are ... duh ...
Old December 9, 2011, 08:13 PM
Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. View Post
Wait a minute! You are ... duh ...

lol...you could get a clown costume too!

I have signs on the front doors and one on the back. They're the magnetic stick on kind, and have my phone number.

The signs make me recognizable, but it's rare to get a call. One guy followed me to a store because of the sign on the back. We did two cars for him. I've gotten two calls from the signs total since August.

They're not big enough to see from any distance, so I use the banners when parked.

Old December 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
sandalwood

I guess people are so used to seeing signs on cars they don't call. I would have thought yours being different from the usual real estate agent, for example, sign you would have received more calls.

That's what I get for thinking. I promise never to think again
Old December 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
I guess people are so used to seeing signs on cars they don't call. I would have thought yours being different from the usual real estate agent, for example, sign you would have received more calls.

That's what I get for thinking. I promise never to think again

It was the same for my referral cards. I offer $10 off to get your lights cleaned, give out coded cards to the customer for him to pass out, I get a card back, that customer gets the $10 off plus I send the referrer $10. A person could pay for their cleaning that way.

Not one card came back.

Why?
Old December 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
Robert J.

I think getting "sparkling clear headlights" is just not sexy enough for somebody to spread the word at the water cooler or on the sidelines at Saturday's soccer game.

It's a good lesson that what "seems" like a no-brainer ... may not be as no-brain as we like to think.

Looks like Bozo has come up with an approach (or approaches) that do meet the no-brainer level ... and that keeps him plenty busy!

Not too bad for a "clown," huh?!?!?
Old December 13, 2011, 03:51 PM
ailmailjz

nice think u dudeeeeeeeeee...............