SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old October 30, 2008, 10:06 AM
mazarebacha

Default why only have 2 category?

hey guys! i have just became a member on this forum. and i would like to know more about here! and it sounds like different from other forums.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome and here's an answer to BOTH of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazarebacha View Post
hey guys! i have just became a member on this forum. and i would like to know more about here! and it sounds like different from other forums.

You might want to read the HOME page and Dien Rice's bio.

We set this up to be DIFFERENT. We allow discussions on just about anything, but prefer it have a business slant. We even allow political discussion as long as it is civilized.

When we switched to the Vbulletin software, we experimented with different forums, still have a couple of private and hidden ones...but what we found is that most of the forums get little use and that our readers preferred ONE forum to discuss everything.

One of the best features of this site is our ARCHIVES, and although they aren't the easiest to navigate (being worked on)...there is a wealth of information buried in there.

Welcome and feel free to ask questions or post your own experiences and share your "Wisdom" with the rest of the visitors. Follow the rules, which are pretty simple and basic, be respectful and no blatant ads without permission.

Other than that, you'll find a very eclectic group of people visit and every once in a while you'll even get a keeper of a post.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old November 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
DanB

Default Re: why only have 2 category? <- Technical Question...

Hi Gordon ~

Looooong time no speak. Hope things are well with you.

Not sure if you are the one to ask this or not - you are the high tech guru yes? But if anyone can answer that would be great.

When the forum was converted from Webbbs how smooth was that transition? Related - did you retain the previous search engine links or not?

Thanks!

~ Dan Butler
TNPC News
Old November 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Default DAN. Are you up to 16 yet?

Kids that is?

Dien is the man to ask about the problems he had with the conversion.

Shoot me an email when you have a chance Dan, [email protected], we have something cooking you should know about.

Gordon the LOW/NO tech guy (hey, I'm lucky I can type)
Old November 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
DanB

Default Re: why only have 2 category?

Only 10. But they are getting older and somehow I am suddenly very busy.

I'll drop Dien a note and you too.

~ Dan
Old November 6, 2008, 03:29 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Answers to your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi Gordon ~

Looooong time no speak. Hope things are well with you.

Not sure if you are the one to ask this or not - you are the high tech guru yes? But if anyone can answer that would be great.

When the forum was converted from Webbbs how smooth was that transition? Related - did you retain the previous search engine links or not?

Thanks!
Hi Dan,

Nice to see you!

I don't know if I'm a "high tech guru"... Maybe more of a "medium tech aspirant"...

Converting took a bit of work. In fact, not all of the archives are fully converted to the new format (it takes some manual work to do). So it's not totally smooth. Unfortunately, the previous search engine links did not convert over.

In our case, I had no choice but to convert over because of attacks that were being made on the forum, due to some vulnerabilities in WebBBS. These attacks kept crashing the server. I had no choice except to change to different software. (My web host made that clear, since the attacks were also bringing down other websites that were being hosted on the same server.) So that's what we did...

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old November 6, 2008, 03:48 PM
DanB

Default Re: why only have 2 category?

Thanks Dien that does help. I have a pretty extensive board but haven't had problems with attacks. I do get a ton of spam - 100/1 so I've put it on full moderation.

I'll be dropping by more often. Just been a busy life!

Thanks again.

~ Dan