SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 3, 2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Default The jerk, the jackal and the jaybird...marketing in modern times.

Some of you have read this, if so, glance over it as a refresher, the follow-up post may have some relevance to you. Thanks.
The Prospect as Product

One hot summer day in 1986 a very dour and surly man came into MACE Electronics at the Chapel Hill Mall store in Akron, Ohio. He practically yelled at the approaching salesman; “GET OUT OF MY FACE.” A little later he motioned for the salesman to approach him.

Then after two hours of asking dumb questions and being patiently answered he announced he was going across the street to BUY at a place called Tokyo Shapiro. On his way out he taunted the salesman, saying something like, “wouldn’t YOU like to make a big sale today?”

The salesman responded, after spending two hours of his time answering this guy’s every question, after watching all the other salesman in the store sell product after product, with this:

Sir, this isn’t about me or what I want. It isn’t about the products or the service our company provides. It is ALL about you and if buying over there makes you happy, then I’ll be happy for you.”

About a half an hour later the man returns to MACE and purchases top-of-the-line big screen TV, VCR, stereo, speakers, camcorder, wires and every gizmo in the store and all with extended warranties and service contracts. It was the largest sale to a private party made by this salesman and one of the all time largest sales in the 23 year MACE history.

I made that sale.

It was a turning point in my sales life. See, I had been “old schooled” in salesmanship. My earliest mentors taught me that selling was like a boxing match and I had to beat the customer into submission. Some salespeople you have recently encountered are probably still OLD school. YIKES!

Another mentor taught me it was like a dance where both parties end up hot and sweaty at the end but feeling pretty good too. Frank Bettger, Elmer Wheeler, Elmer Leterman and a list of other great salesman of the day were on my reading list. I knew the AIDCAS formula (Attention, Interest, Desire, Conclusion, Action and Satisfaction) and learned how to overcome objections. I went to sales battle many a time and came out the victor. Bet you've had a battle or two too, right?

But that hot summer day that guy wore me out so after two hours I couldn’t care less if he bought from me or not, in fact, I was somewhat relieved he was going across the street to buy, then he wouldn’t be a pain in my patoot for the rest of the year.

So I sent him off as my father had taught me to do with his “kill em with kindness” philosophy, and wished him nothing but “happiness”. If he was going to be happy then so was I, but for entirely different reasons. I wanted him to be happy so he would never come back in and bug the hell out of me for another two hours and cost me money cause I LOST sales while with him. But I innately did the right thing even if my thinking wasn't right on.

I simply told him the truth, “it isn’t about me, the products or service or this company...it is ALL ABOUT YOU and YOUR HAPPINESS”
****************End of Prospect as Product.

So today the jerks and jackals YELL at us for being losers if we don't buy their must-have, last chance you loser, give ME your money you lousy bon-bon eaters you.

UM. Yea. I want to relate something very interesting...as I am OBSERVING some dynamics in action...sort of an "old school" vs. a "what the hell you talkin about man"....

I'm currently BABBLING (not here...although some may think otherwise) in front of several people...people who are established experts in their fields. They hear my voice, but they don't yet understand...perhaps they never will.

When someone has achieved a level of success and mastery...they project that expertise into all their life experiences...if that is marketing...

then it becomes a "here is how WE do it" (and WE are successful, therefore right)...

and truth is...there are many ways of "doing it"...that is marketing and selling.

Sad news in Today's Akron Beacon Journal...hundreds of people in Canton will lose their jobs...from the HOOVER company, the largest employer in Stark County. HUNDREDS of people.

I'm going to post something a little bit later...about the PERFECT product...that has the highest lifetime value of any product ever created...

those that have read the Prospect as Product, may get it. May not. OH, and I'm not selling anything, PaP is off the market...

But like Sandi and others, I'm tired of being called names...that does work on a segment or a group of people (I call them the jr. high locker room crowd who still giggle about breasts being called boobies, and they may be 40 or 50 even)...

And most any marketer is going to go with WHAT works. If that is your market, and you have an appeal to them...then you will use it, and you won't care about losing the Sandi's and Gordon's of the world...it was good to get rid of them from your list (I'm telling you truthfully what some marketers think and how)...

OK. Maybe a little later today...or tomorrow...or very soon...I'm going to tell you what the PERFECT product is...and how easy it is to sell. OK?

Gordon Jay Alexander

PS. Feel free to comment on Prospect As Product and share any positive or negative experiences you've had with salespeople (or from the other side of the counter, when you've been the salesperson). Thanks for your time and attention, it is appreciated.
Old April 3, 2007, 03:09 PM
Kelly Kasabian

Default Re: The jerk, the jackal and the jaybird...marketing in modern times.

Gordon -

I was hoping to see others list their trials and tribulations in sales, but I suppose I'll be the first -

Like you, I've been schooled in both types of sales styles ... I have to admit, I'm of two minds on them both because I've found results in both - from the classic "this is a battle where one person wins"/"people WANT to be seduced" stuff ...to the soft-sell "I'm here to help the prospect make an informed buying decision in order to help them" ...

...my situation pales in comparison to yours - but it was some years ago when I was doing healthclub sales ... I was touring this prospect around the club and in every possible way she was making negative, critical comments: "is that all the classes you have?" ..."the weight room isn't very big" ..."the ladies locker-room is tiny" ..."the pool isn't even olympic size" ....

...I just grinned, gritting my teeth actually ...and kept as positive as possible realizing she just wasn't going to enjoy the place ...

...so I broke the pattern after one last negative comment - in mid-step I turned, stopped and said in a very nice, kind, caring way "I'm thinking we may not be the best for you... here - c'mon in my office - I'm going to get some info for some clubs I'm familiar with that you may enjoy better" ...

...she was so surprised by this that she tried to regain control by saying ..."well ....why don't we go over your prices first?" ...

...I gave her the details - and she said "Okay ..when can I start?" ...

Classic take-away ...but I have to admit - that's not where my mind was - like you, I really just wanted the person to end her tirade of negativity and maybe find a place more suited to her (also - I really didn't want to give her the chance to say "no" ...yeah - a bit silly on my part - but I'm human too) ...

...now conversely - I had this other person come in just a few days later - gave her a very soft-sell show around ...asked her questions about what she liked, what she didn't like - her history (all the classic "find out the 'unwanted condition' " questions) ...she seemed to love it ...but she didn't buy...

...later when I followed up with her, I found she joined with a real hard-sell health club ...and she said outright "they really kinda' pushed me into seeing how important it was that I not put off joining"....

...the classic "people sometimes WANT to be seduced"....

...so that's my experience ... of course - honestly, it all depends on the market and the prospect ...on one hand I'd prefer to deal with soft-sell, but I know some markets require a harder approach.

Thanks for listening ...let's hear from some other sales veterans - ey?

KK
Old April 3, 2007, 04:04 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: The jerk, the jackal and the jaybird...marketing in modern times.

When it's a couple who happen to be opposites....

It's tough but not impossible. You soft sell to get the wife relaxed and then you pull out the ol' sheet of paper and list the pluses and minuses they come up with (plus a few you can suggest) and use this to hard-sell the man on the value.

Since you're already writing things, once you see they BOTH are sold, it's a natural progression to the order form and so on. Had to use this quite a bit in mobile home sales. Saw a lot of sales lost by other salespeople when they decided to hard-sell the man (it was nearly always the man who was hard-sell, aggressive, and gruff) and ignored the soft sell the other partner needed to feel comfortable.

Whether you have to divide and conquer as above or can combine the presentations depends upon the product and the degree of differences between the parties.

If you enjoy, really enjoy, selling...it's never a dull moment unless you're just passing out pink versus blue cotton candy.

Sandi Bowman
Old April 3, 2007, 05:26 PM
Garth

Default Re: marketing in modern times starring Jerk

In Best Of Sowpub links there's one about a frustration with a sales person.

Don't go to the link I'll just repeat what it said here.

It seems approriate to your sales horror story quest, Gordon.

[long story]

Recently I kept waiting and waiting for something...
You see I was dying to give someone my money.

Quite a bit actually but they didn't seem to want it.
It was easy money for them. They had no marketing
costs, no cold call hassles, I found them.

All they should have seen was one big fat paycheck.

Here is what happened.

I was searching for a mortgage that was worth easy
a couple of thousand dollars in commission for this guy.

Now they have an application process where they
charge a $325 fee non-refundable.

Curious and surprised I repeated what he said.

"You have a $325 fee"

"Yes."

"The fee is non refundable"

"Yes."

"You need the fee to start the application process"

"Yes."

"Thank you. Goodbye."

I wasn't hard of hearing.

I was simply waiting for a reason why the fee was
a benefit to me since it is not common practice
to ask for one.

So each time I repeated his answer I was trying to give
him an intro to sell me.

But each time he didn't.

In fact as you see he did nothing.

Since I have been watching the Apprentice show and
learning of Donald Trump's real estate wealth.

I started dreaming about how the Donald could have
sold me on the value of that $325 fee?

Here is one idea:

"Yes sir the fee is unusual however with that
investment you are able to close a week faster
than anyone else.

You see we use those fees to hire extra skilled
personnel most other broker's can't afford.

This allows us to close faster and make less
mistakes and avoid those little surprises
at the closing table.

This is something all those other brokers and
unfortunately their customers have to worry
about but you won't.

That fee also allows you to have free six month
direct email access to the top financial planner in town.

He will help you build your wealth and double your
opportunity to build a better life for you and your kids.

Plus it guarantees that we'll fight for you with your banker.

Have you ever had problems with your lender
and you feel like the little guy fighting against goliath?

Well not anymore.
We will go to bat for you.

They'll listen to us because we bring them
thousands in new business.
They'll talk to us because they need us.

And we'll go to bat for you because we need you.

So for merely a $1 dollar a day over the next year
you're getting not just a mortgage but a whole
team of financial planners who love helping you
work out any money worries.

How much is that worth to you?

When you think about it.

Isn't protection from money worries worth more than one dollar a day?"

Ok, those are my thoughts.

He could have sold me with talk like that.

What else do you think Donald could say?

So I won't say YOU'RE FIRED.
Old April 4, 2007, 03:20 AM
MichaelRoss

Default The JERK I met today...

Walked into a fruit shop. An Independent one. I'd been there before. Ages ago (about 8 months). Had bought some Apples and one was bad and had Asked them if they had a Money Back Guarantee on Bad Produce. I was told it was "luck of the draw" and decided Not to go back there again.

Today (8 months later), while passing and knowing I needed some Oranges, I quickly grabbed a bag off of the Display Rack out front, without properly looking at the price, just seeing it out of the corner of my eye.

At the register the woman said, "That's $3.50 thanks." I knew it was NOT $3.50 and innocently Asked, "Didn't the sign say $3.45?"

Wow. You would have thought I called her a bad name or something. She said, in a terse sacractic smart ass manner, "Well actually it says $3.59. So that's $3.60. There, the price just went up, what do you think of that then?"

Calmly in a neutral tone, "I don't want them then thanks."

Angrily, "Well don't come back!"

Nonchalantly, "Don't worry, I won't" and left. Puzzled. Innocently Asked a question and copped abuse. Oh well. Two bad experiences teaches me, not to go there even in passing when I am there and it is convenient. And to keep going to the out-of-the-way fruit shop I go to.

Reminds me, in an odd way, of when I was waiting to turn a corner behind a car. We had to wait for oncoming traffic and that's cool. Calmly waiting and suddenly, as the women in front gets a gap to drive through, she turns, looks at me, and flips me the bird agressively before driving through the gap. I just chuckled in disbelief at the odd behavior and went about my business.

What oddness or jerkness have you encountered this week? Could be interesting/funny to read. Lessons in not what to do.

Michael Ross

Last edited by MichaelRoss : April 4, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old April 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
Lawrence

Default An international symbol

Michael,

It seems that "the bird" has international meaning. I like to think that when on the receiving end of "the bird" -- I'm being told they think I'm #1 in their eyes and express a "thank you" in my mind.

Doing that (and what you did) is true control over the situation.

Lawrence
Old April 5, 2007, 07:25 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Road Rage

Let me set the scene...

I'm driving down a hill. A guy wants to reverse out his driveway onto my side of the road. He looks at me coming down the hill and reverses out anyway and STOPS. I go around him and keep going. I get to an interesection and am waiting to turn left, he is waiting to turn right. I go through a break while he still waits. I then turn into the nearby gas station - he must have seen this and decides he'll Confront me.

I am out of the car pumping gas when he comes screetching into the gas station, car at odd angle, gets out of the car and starts yelling at me. My gas cap is on the right of the car and as he approaches I swap holding the pump with my right hand and hold it with my left - so my right hand is free and not restricted by being close to the car. I also have the hose between me and him.

He comes right up into my face yelling and screaming and carrying on. I am Calmly looking at him. No adrenalin rush. Totally calm. And figuring Where I will strike him if I need to - I decide it will be the throat.

After he yells for a while and sees I am unphased by him he says, "Don't you have anything to say for yourself?"

I take a half step Toward him, hold his gaze and look him square in the eyes and say, "You're not worthy a response."

He went nuts! He stepped Back, started ranting about his Mate at the police station, ran inside the station walked behind the counter! Grabbed a pen and paper and wrote down my car's Plate number telling how I'll be getting a Visit from his mate at the police station. Then got in his car and roared off.

When I paid at the counter I asked the Attentend about their Friend and whether he loses it often like that. She said he was not a friend, just a regular customer. Though I can think of no customers who can just walk behind the counter to grab stuff.

That was a funny one.

Michael Ross