SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 21, 2017, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Post The value of WORK time, lesson 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thanks again for sharing! I always seem to learn something new from you...

There is so much value out there, sometimes there's too much, that it's hard to know where to start...

One fault I have is that I am probably interested in too many things...!

However, I'm always grateful you got me to get some SALES experience... It has been something that has helped me with almost everything I do...!

Best wishes,

Dien

First, this is going to be posted in bits, cause my fat little fingers deleted the long post I had written, but it will all get posted today.

Dien, I think you are like most of us with varied interests, except for those whose passion is about making dough. Most of us have a lot of different interests.

Let me start lesson 4 with this:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/harr...golightly.html

And I call attention to the chorus:

I let time go lightly when I'm here with you,
I let time go lightly when the day is through.
I keep a watch on time when I've have work to do,
I let time go lightly with you.

Long ago and far away, when Tim Ferris was maybe still in diapers, I set a dollar amount for my hour of work.

It was set at 100 bux. I also found I didn't want to work more than 4 hours a week on any given money making thing (probably because it was part time and I had full time jobs).

But 400 bux a week wouldn't replace a full time job, so I looked at multiple streams of income, which both of us have suggested here for the past 17 years.

What if I had several 400 dollar a week streams? AH, that was more interesting.

Now this is, in my opinion, a low dollar amount for my time. There are guys like Mark Zuckerberg, LeBron James and Kevin Spacey who are paid tens of thousands of dollars for their work hour or in Kevin's situation, for his hour of harassment.

It doesn't matter what the value is as long as it is YOURS and you agree to it.
I know far to many self employed marketers, who at the end of the day, aren't working for much more than minimum wage.

Although they will say they have no boss and are free. I say, as I have many times, many one man bands end up working for the biggest jerk of all.

Once you set a dollar value to an hour of time, then you can examine it, and either increase the amount, and try to do so with the same amount of work, and try to get that $ up to where you want it to be.

There is a point, when, for example, your MONEY makes the 100 bux per hour, which is where a good passive stream comes into play. So if your investments are working a hard 40 hours a week for you, then could net you $4,000.00 a week, and then for us fly low types, we have something we can count on and invest in other opportunities.

So lesson 4 is simple. What is the $ value of your WORK time? See if the time is doing non work related interests, if it isn't about making money, then like Harry Chapin and his friend in the song, I too let time go lightly.

But when I am working, I keep a close eye on my time, and so should we all.

Gordon

PS It is more of a mindset concept, however, employees are given an amount of their worth, a 40k a year guy is making roughly 25 bux an hour, figured with a 25% value of benefits.

A 120,000 dollar a year employee is worth about 75 bux per hour. So, as an independent marketer, if I could hit my 100 bux an hour for WORK time, I could probably have a lot of free time to pursue my other interests.

Last edited by GordonJ : November 21, 2017 at 01:30 PM.